Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
The garage will be ready by Christmas - honest - this is what I tell the wife??
I'm betting that the garage is not high on her priorities. I'm hoping to have the car finished by Christmas, if it doesn't nickel and dime me to bankruptcy first. This week I've bought wheel spacers, replaced a window switch, belt sensor, engine oil change, transmission oil change. Odometer and fuel gauge go into Robinson Instruments tomorrow. Belts need adjusting. Need new brake pads. The above reinforce a character flaw, I can't leave things as is, particularly if they're broken. I'm better off with a purpose built race car that's a bit rough. The C4 was supposed to be that, but the Fuchs and ducktail changed that, as did the engine rebuild. It's become too good to thrash. That said I'm hoping to narrow our delta soon , and find a corner to dive in on. Have you registered foe 3/11?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason. I think its was you that ribbed me for saying 964s all leak oil.....check out Johns garage shot. These are well cared for 964s too!
Don't know what you mean...
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm betting that the garage is not high on her priorities. I'm hoping to have the car finished by Christmas, if it doesn't nickel and dime me to bankruptcy first. This week I've bought wheel spacers, replaced a window switch, belt sensor, engine oil change, transmission oil change. Odometer and fuel gauge go into Robinson Instruments tomorrow. Belts need adjusting. Need new brake pads. The above reinforce a character flaw, I can't leave things as is, particularly if they're broken. I'm better off with a purpose built race car that's a bit rough. The C4 was supposed to be that, but the Fuchs and ducktail changed that, as did the engine rebuild. It's become too good to thrash. That said I'm hoping to narrow our delta soon , and find a corner to dive in on. Have you registered foe 3/11?
John. No such thing as "too good to thrash" mate (see below legend). We still have to pop your Targa cherry yet (maybe join myself, Paul, Doug, Chris and others next year?).

Your 964 needs purpose to be fit for. Your job = make purpose. Your 964 jon is to fit LOL!

Jason. Your garage must look a bit like Johns!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

"Go car not show car" (J.McM 2013)
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
"Go car not show car" (J.McM 2013)
It will always be a go car, just one with its creature comforts intact. Today I'm off to the Tron for the day. It will be 4hrs in the 996TT. I'd like to have the option of all three cars for any future trips.

As for Targa, I won't rule it out, but it's not on the radar right now. My main focus is car control in a controlled environment.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. You need the C4 for that drive just to stay awake! Good theory by the way about keeping the cars at a level they can still be enjoyed on the road. I periodically take my wife away in the 993 to give me a reality check if Ive gone too far. Always have CCS knock the ARBs to full soft and dial the shocks down to softest setting before we head off tho!

I was jesting about the Targa. It is a year away though so see how you feel. Maybe by then you will feel different. I really enjoyed the NITT and it made me realize with 2-3 more back to back sessions under tuition I could definitely improve a lot (was just getting into the swing of it then it was over!), but if Im absolutely honest I found the drive back on Squadron Leader Chris's tail with Paul in the GT3 on my tail as exhilarating any track session and Targa Tour is 3 hrs a day of that dialed up by 25% for 4-5 days. Its really an car adrenaline junkies dream event...

We will be getting updates shortly from Sean who is joining other RSG members (Ron + Patsy, Barbara + Steve, Roger + Richard) on the 30th for Targa NZ kicking off from Kim Dotcoms mansions (so sure to be televised). Its sure too boost the sports popularity and Ive already been told that tour tickets next year will be restricted as the Tour is getting just so popular its almost as big as the main event. At this stage have Doug, Chris, Paul and myself but some will need navigators and it is possible to share a car (swap drivers between the stages) so for those RSG members who are unsure maybe they want to be a navigator....
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Fudsyman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NZ Car Trimmer

Hi John, I'm Fraser, Angela's husband.
I think you know I brought her a 1991 964 C2 targa for Christmas last year. I was wondering if you (or anyone else in New Zealand) could recommend a car trimmer to re-do the upholstery?
Thanks.
Fraser.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fudsyman
Hi John, I'm Fraser, Angela's husband. I think you know I brought her a 1991 964 C2 targa for Christmas last year. I was wondering if you (or anyone else in New Zealand) could recommend a car trimmer to re-do the upholstery? Thanks. Fraser.
Hi Fraser, another 911 owner I go to the track with recommended "Vin Trim in Glenfield - been doing Porsches for years". I've only had mechanical work and a small paint job done on my cars. How is the 964 running?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Fudsyman
6th Gear

Thanks for that.
It runs beautifully, but I did have to put around $6K to get it there (not that all the 964s don’t deserve to be saved)
The main problem is, I’m going to have to buy her a C2 coupe to get it away long enough to be worked on!
Are the Fuchs on your C4 16”s?

Last edited by Fudsyman; 10-17-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that. It runs beautifully, but I did have to put around $6K to get it there (not that all the 964s don’t deserve to be saved) The main problem is, I’m going to have to buy her a C2 coupe to get it away long enough to be worked on! Are the Fuchs on your C4 16”s?
The Fuchs are 17" http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=336&L=1 don't get the itch, they are $5,000 landed for 4.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Fudsyman
6th Gear

Goodness, that’s rather heart stopping.
I fear it may be too late, I saw a 1991 C2 in grand prix white for sale in Wellington, just ripe for the 2.7 RS treatment. Would you know if there actually are 16” old school (as the young people say) Fuchs? Auckland CBD the 964 turning base aren’t great friends.
I’ve searched the topic on the forum but its left me thoroughly confused.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Goodness, that’s rather heart stopping. I fear it may be too late, I saw a 1991 C2 in grand prix white for sale in Wellington, just ripe for the 2.7 RS treatment. Would you know if there actually are 16” old school (as the young people say) Fuchs? Auckland CBD the 964 turning base aren’t great friends. I’ve searched the topic on the forum but its left me thoroughly confused.
They do make 16" but not for the 964, only -'89. The 964 has a different wheel offset.

My car's current look confuses even some Porsche owners, but it's a long way from being a convincing 2.7rs lookalike. The decals are $100, the ducktail fitted was $2,000 and as stated the wheels were $5,000. Going any further on the externals will cost a lot. Consider yourself warned, it's a slippery slope!
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Fudsyman
6th Gear

Thanks, Clarity at last.
I’d say it was money well spent, it looks brilliant.
I think the 964 can carry it off. I suppose if you want the original look, you buy a ’73 sans power steering etc. Do you go about on streets enough to notice a difference in turning with the 17”s?
I’ve tried to get hold of the original LM220/964 Engine upgrade kit as well, but Robert at Continental who do the servicing tells me that the Porsche extras catalogues only goes back to the 993.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Clarity at last.
I’d say it was money well spent, it looks brilliant.
I think the 964 can carry it off. I suppose if you want the original look, you buy a ’73 sans power steering etc. Do you go about on streets enough to notice a difference in turning with the 17”s?
I’ve tried to get hold of the original LM220/964 Engine upgrade kit as well, but Robert at Continental who do the servicing tells me that the Porsche extras catalogues only goes back to the 993.
Youd need to sell your house to afford it even if Porsche still had it on their system!

16 v 17 should make no difference to turning circle. 911s have terrible turning circle full stop.

Is it tip or manual?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Clarity at last. I’d say it was money well spent, it looks brilliant. I think the 964 can carry it off. I suppose if you want the original look, you buy a ’73 sans power steering etc. Do you go about on streets enough to notice a difference in turning with the 17”s? I’ve tried to get hold of the original LM220/964 Engine upgrade kit as well, but Robert at Continental who do the servicing tells me that the Porsche extras catalogues only goes back to the 993.
Not sure the wheel size materially affects the turning circle. Wouldn't bother with power upgrades, losing weight (off the car, not Angela is cheaper and just as effective.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?