Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi John. I think you have made a better choice than using that A8 Recaro. Its way to heavy and its not period. The Classic seats in your picture sound like a reasonably sensible solution although they have no shoulder slots or submarine belt hole? Whats wrong with the Racetech or Recaro SPGs? Sean swears by the Sparco EVO and there are a few 993 drivers on RL tall like you who find this a very good seat indeed....
Macca,

I saw this set up on a back dated 964 and did some searching. That brought up some interesting solutions that I hadn't thought about.

The tall classic seats have my shoulders at the top so I can run a harness bar and not need harness holes on the seats. Albeit there are nice solutions as shown in one of the pics here. Basically the needs of a C4 need to be balanced. A four point harness with a clean simple seat fits the bill.
Attached Images     
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I didn't explain myself that clearly. The C4 is really growing on me. Heel and toe at every opportunity. If I go too extreme on the seat it will be less enjoyable on the road. I also want a style in keeping with the Fuchs and ducktail. Put the performance potential and style together and it leads to bucket seats. There's nothing wrong with Racetech et al, it's just I want a more street oriented seat.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, I didn't explain myself that clearly. The C4 is really growing on me. Heel and toe at every opportunity. If I go too extreme on the seat it will be less enjoyable on the road. I also want a style in keeping with the Fuchs and ducktail. Put the performance potential and style together and it leads to bucket seats. There's nothing wrong with Racetech et al, it's just I want a more street oriented seat.
John. You've sold me. I love them. They work perfectly for the car and theme. I wouldn't bother with the harness holder adapter either, if harnesses are the way you wanna go...

For similar reasons that you mention I don't want to run a harness as my car needs to be a practical road car (in NZ you cant legally use them on the road so you have to keep your road belts too), the Targa Tour wont allow them either). Like the race pads, I haven't felt the slightest need yet to use them and dont see myself needing them with the times I and the 993 are capable of currently. I don't have a problem staying in my seat or stopping at this point in time and suspect Ill have to be a fair bit quicker before what I have lets me down. Its still a road car that goes to the track, not a race car that goes on the road....

Go for it John. Make sure you round the package out with a passenger one too! That small one will fit ray just fine LOL!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. One last thought. If you are going to run with your proposed 4 point harness solution then don't even bother with the harness bar and install eyelets on the rear parcel shelf like they do for FIA historic racing in Europe (like in your blue car picture above). Its just as safe and as David will attest a whole load less hassle to install....
Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats a great choice of seat John. I've been corresponding with a chap who has a long hood down south who has two Cobra classic seats for sale that I was working with size wise. I am very keen on these too so look forward to you pioneering that one...
I've backed away for now on the grounds of needing to take a break from grovelling around in the belly of a 964 and no more spending for now plus size concerns without trying first and how much the bloody race seat cost me. I agree though, a full on race seat precludes simple jump in and drive anytime.
Perfect for a 964.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Maxem
Drifting

These are the model I was looking at
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
These are the model I was looking at
Dave I think those are Corbeau Classic RS. I like the look.

The smaller seat I looked at didn't have enough support. Pretty much the same as I my OEM Comfort seats.

@ Macca, yes I will get two seats. Steve was giving me grief as well. Basic point was that the times I'm running there is no benefit, whereas one seat takes away the opportunity to have instruction.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave - those look real sweet as road seats and I just love that shifter too. With your Heigo cage would look very smart.

Hi John. I agree with Steve. Weight isn't holding you back right now. Time in the seat and time with Ray/instructor are more important.

One thing I would definitely want on those seats is the side holes for harness. I learnt a while back to not under estimate my future needs and go for the option with most flexibility. These seats IMHO are all you will ever really need in your 964 right up until you go proper racing. Steve can circulate HD in 1.16s in those seats, cant see why you cant either (given time etc...)

My 2c is to go with the taller version John for sure. The short ones look lovely but for us taller guys run out of support at upper mid back level. I would also
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Dave - those look real sweet as road seats and I just love that shifter too. With your Heigo cage would look very smart.

Hi John. I agree with Steve. Weight isn't holding you back right now. Time in the seat and time with Ray/instructor are more important.

One thing I would definitely want on those seats is the side holes for harness. I learnt a while back to not under estimate my future needs and go for the option with most flexibility. These seats IMHO are all you will ever really need in your 964 right up until you go proper racing. Steve can circulate HD in 1.16s in those seats, cant see why you cant either (given time etc...)

My 2c is to go with the taller version John for sure. The short ones look lovely but for us taller guys run out of support at upper mid back level. I would also
The only thing I'm wavering over is the great support I got on the drive home last night from the shoulder bolsters. They seem to anchor the upper body control over the steering action and gave a real sense of being part of the car.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mmmm. Yes there is that. I certainly enjoy my seats for that very reason. The lightness and stiffness and the way they hold me in make the car feel like a go-kart to drive. But you cant have everything I guess....
Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I am very keen on these too so look forward to you pioneering that one...I've backed away for now on the grounds of needing to take a break from grovelling around in the belly of a 964 and no more spending for now plus size concerns without trying first and how much the bloody race seat cost me. I agree though, a full on race seat precludes simple jump in and drive anytime. Perfect for a 964.
In a way you pioneered this Dave. I made it clear to Steve that I want a bolt in solution.

As for mods, I'm close to the end. I'll take out the rear seats, as you have, then look at a re-carpet. After that, maybe springs.... All other work is on the back burner. I've got 8 track sessions over Summer, so I just want to be out there, not reaching into my wallet every five minutes.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
In a way you pioneered this Dave. I made it clear to Steve that I want a bolt in solution.

As for mods, I'm close to the end. I'll take out the rear seats, as you have, then look at a re-carpet. After that, maybe springs.... All other work is on the back burner. I've got 8 track sessions over Summer, so I just want to be out there, not reaching into my wallet every five minutes.
I'm done too, except - repaint the grey D90's this week - keep thinking about those classic seats - finish my door panels - fix the exhaust clamp - sort out the side rocker rubbers - fit the brake ducts - take out a parking dent - fit passenger seat and harness ......gotta have something to do. Trying to think of jobs that don't involve money
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree with you both. I just want to drive. Bit tired of settings etc changing all the time between visits back to use the car. Cant help myself tho. Its an addiction...
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I agree with you both. I just want to drive. Bit tired of settings etc changing all the time between visits back to use the car. Cant help myself tho. Its an addiction...
Mind you, when you stop buying you stop receiving new deliveries. Badge, spacer and window switch have arrived.

Macca, your spacers are with your car at CCS
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. Dean gets all the excitement for my deliveries. Yesterday he received those tasty Wevo engine mounts and the Rennline ball joined toe arms. I only get to pay for it (and hopefully benefit from the improvement when driving the car)....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?