Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Classic seats. I will go for the tall one. The challenge I gave Steve is bolt in.
John,

Test the classic seats, they are sexy and I thought about installing my in car a while ago as they gave a good weight saving over my early turbo sport seat, but they had less support than the turbo seat adn I felt I was holding onto the wheel for support around corners.

You need to install a proper race seat for your track car.

Maybe better to go Macca's route and make them soft, pretty and comfy, but they still have the side support.

Just my 10c
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John, Test the classic seats, they are sexy and I thought about installing my in car a while ago as they gave a good weight saving over my early turbo sport seat, but they had less support than the turbo seat adn I felt I was holding onto the wheel for support around corners. You need to install a proper race seat for your track car. Maybe better to go Macca's route and make them soft, pretty and comfy, but they still have the side support. Just my 10c
Appreciate the thoughts. It all depends on likely use. Right now I'm holding back from a track only car. The reason is 100kg of C4 gear i.e. It will never be a true race car. Best to make it a fast C4, get my skills up and move onto a race car. I could live with classic seats for ever. Not sure I can say the same with race seats.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another step. Not sure I've correctly placed it but it's very easy to move.

@ Macca - not too many decals...yet
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the thoughts. It all depends on likely use. Right now I'm holding back from a track only car. The reason is 100kg of C4 gear i.e. It will never be a true race car. Best to make it a fast C4, get my skills up and move onto a race car. I could live with classic seats for ever. Not sure I can say the same with race seats.
Did you really just say that? Time to move house - you'll need a 4 car garage!!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I think it's going that way, but all in good time. I've got so much to learn first. The Classic Trials are a good intro for close track work.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. 100% agree with the above. You don't need fancy seats to go fast. Look at Paul and Pete who slung the above comments - bit riding on Porsche sofa seats (albeit in Paul's case with a bit more bolster). Their times have been less than shabby so factory tombstones cant be so bad eh!

Love the badge. Don't over do it with the decals - will look too busy. Keep it tasteful not kitsch. You already have the windscreen banner etc with Carrera script I dont think you need any more. Infact to make it more unique I would apply the modern font Carrera maybe (pic below).

I think you are right pulling up a bit on the C4. Its probably never going to be a track only car so why take it too far. You want to become the fastest/best driver you can be, and that's not about the machine you are driving. An ace driver in a well sorted 996/993/996 C2 would keep a good driver in a 997 GT3 honest around a track like Taupo. There is a point where lighter, more power or better suspension will make the difference but it probably not until you are consistently below 1.19/20 IMO.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a good time at HD yesterday afternoon, and nice for the rain to hold off until near the end. Like others have mentioned, the NITT gave me a fresh perspective on HD, and I found I was sloppy in different places -- which I take to mean that I was going a little faster (no times to back this up though).

Peter, thanks for the ride in your new car, much appreciated! Some fresh new rubber and you'll be sorted... when does your race series kick off?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just in case anyone hasn't come across these, there is a good series of articles about track driving by John Hajny (PCA): http://redlinerennsport.homestead.co...Statement.html. The page design is very 1990s, but the content is worth it!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
riding on Porsche sofa seats (albeit in Paul's case with a bit more bolster). Their times have been less than shabby so factory tombstones cant be so bad eh!
Hampton's I'm OK, at Taupo with the twisties I was thinking a race seat was needed as I had the sensation of holding onto the steering wheel for support. I felt compromised and why I took a harder look at your seats Macca (might have cost me half a second )
Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

John, That third pic above, with the flairs and speedlines in the background.......oooooh........going to bed now...........
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Fair enough - you will save a sh*t load of weight........they are very light.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'll have a 4 car garage by Xmas and enough head room for a hoist John, I can store 'Speedlines' for you......
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'll have a 4 car garage and enough room for a hoist John, I can store 'Speedlines' for you......
Yeah right.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default !

Hampton's I'm OK, at Taupo with the twisties I was thinking a race seat was needed as I had the sensation of holding onto the steering wheel for support. I felt compromised and why I took a harder look at your seats Macca (might have cost me half a second )
Nice try Paul LOL! Next well here you had your foo hard on the clutch pedal to hold you in place and this is how you must have bent the clutch fork?
$1600 a pair landed. Even look good in a 964, pay an extra 1000 and you cab have the FIA cert version...
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yeah right.
The garage will be ready by Christmas - honest - this is what I tell the wife??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?