Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:52 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996tnz
What bikes are you considering Stuart? Road, offroad, track or all three?
I am looking for a commuter pretty much but I want a good one. So I know there are a bunch of LAMS bikes that would do the trick but I would prefer bigger and better than that.

I have narrowed it down to three pretty disparate options:

1. Triumph Bonneville. I love the style and the idea of the Triumph so it is currently my number one candidate. It is a big heavy bike however which I don't like. I am also fussy and I really want a 2007 (last of the carb'd bikes) T100 in the right colour which don't come up very often and never in Auckland.

2. BMW F800R. I love the comfort and build quality of BMW bikes. But I don't want a sport bike or a massive engine or an off-roader, so that pretty much leaves me with the F800 which seems pretty good. Just got to get out and ride of these really, although the looks aren't stellar.

3. Honda CB650F. I can get one of these brand new for the price of the used BMW and not much more than the used Triumph. I like Hondas and the concept of ABS is nice for a riding amateur like me, I definitely need all the help I can get on a bike. I also like the revs of bike engines that the singles and 2 cylinders don't have. A bit boring and try hard though. I look like the stereotype on a sports bike, not in a good way!

They all come at it from very different approaches I think. So I need to get out and ride them but trying to find good weather with free time has so far been very tricky. That and my wife's opposition to the whole idea!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Nice - NZ new 1976 911S.
Errr - I understand this car to be a 74 LHD to RHD conversion.

It's John Gausden's old car.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:15 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
get a lightspeed Macca. won't have the interior and exterior jewel like detailing of the Singer but the mechanical package will match Singer and probably the gearbox better??
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-12221324&Cr=6

^^^ Or this - not sure i see the value, personally I'd take a very tidy 7.2 GT3 at the same money??
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Errr - I understand this car to be a 74 LHD to RHD conversion.

It's John Gausden's old car.
It say NZ new, but first registered 1983, so you may well be right.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:43 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^ When do we get rear end photos with bumper please?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ When do we get rear end photos with bumper please?
Hopefully tonight. I need one M6 nut to replace the one that didn't survive disassembly. Then it's all on.

Also working on the rear indicators. Effectively demounting the external plastic on the old ones and putting a new cover on. The rear end will be as new, even down to the licence plate lights.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:01 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
I am looking for a commuter pretty much but I want a good one. So I know there are a bunch of LAMS bikes that would do the trick but I would prefer bigger and better than that.

I have narrowed it down to three pretty disparate options:

1. Triumph Bonneville. I love the style and the idea of the Triumph so it is currently my number one candidate. It is a big heavy bike however which I don't like. I am also fussy and I really want a 2007 (last of the carb'd bikes) T100 in the right colour which don't come up very often and never in Auckland.

2. BMW F800R. I love the comfort and build quality of BMW bikes. But I don't want a sport bike or a massive engine or an off-roader, so that pretty much leaves me with the F800 which seems pretty good. Just got to get out and ride of these really, although the looks aren't stellar.

3. Honda CB650F. I can get one of these brand new for the price of the used BMW and not much more than the used Triumph. I like Hondas and the concept of ABS is nice for a riding amateur like me, I definitely need all the help I can get on a bike. I also like the revs of bike engines that the singles and 2 cylinders don't have. A bit boring and try hard though. I look like the stereotype on a sports bike, not in a good way!

They all come at it from very different approaches I think. So I need to get out and ride them but trying to find good weather with free time has so far been very tricky. That and my wife's opposition to the whole idea!
Nakeds are a lot about the looks IMO and on that front most BMW bikes haven't even outshone their Bangle era cars for a while now (mismatched headlight sizes next to each other just remind me of Quasimodo for instance). The Bonnie is on your short list, so I take it the dame edna lights of the naked Triumph triples might've put you off? They're great in other respects if my brief track ride of their Speed Triple was anything to go off (helllooo power stand).

If you're looking at the Honda, maybe test a Suzuki GSR750 (rode nicely) and Yamaha's MT07 (non-LAMs version) too, if you haven't already.

That said, I'm with you in loving the looks and feel of the Bonneville for commuting. Only ridden the later injected T100 but was surprised at just how well it handled and went for a cafe racer (if willing to ground the pretty folding pedals), though being an acceleration junkie, the flat seat meant remembering to hang on and that could get old quick if really pushing it through twisties, nailing it from the lights or running sustained high speeds. I'm sure there are some aftermarket cures though, even if it's at the expense of those nice lines.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. Had a look at the Lightspeed website again. Nice build, an intermediate Singer. No pricing there but with a donor it looks to me like it would be a 300K proposition. Problem is its a halfway house. Singer have set the bar very high in terms of expectations with these tyres of projects and I just dont think the Light-speed has quite the right lines (something still wring with the sills and size of wheels/tyres vs front guards etc) r spec for a 300K car when there are factory GT3/4/RS that can be had new for similar money and are relatively depreciation proof. The Singer would be worth the stretch to 350K maybe but anything else is a compromise. Shame they are out of reach. Ill just have to go back to my ideas on the next round of 993 transformation LOL!

Interesting rumor circulating the net right now. You can find more over on the 991 GT3 board. Someone claims the next GT3/RS will be turbo cars. Nothing new in this I suppose but apparently from "reliable" sources. Im not so sure about that. I guess we will wait for the MA175/6 "9A1" engine and see if it debuts at Daytona 24hrs on 30 Jan to understand better if there are is any truth to this. Its a complex debate and we are shooting in the dark here but for those with any interest in the future of Porsches naturally aspirated engine in the 911 makes interesting reading nn the less....

Last edited by Macca; 12-15-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Nakeds are a lot about the looks IMO and on that front most BMW bikes haven't even outshone their Bangle era cars for a while now (mismatched headlight sizes next to each other just remind me of Quasimodo for instance). The Bonnie is on your short list, so I take it the dame edna lights of the naked Triumph triples might've put you off? They're great in other respects if my brief track ride of their Speed Triple was anything to go off (helllooo power stand).

If you're looking at the Honda, maybe test a Suzuki GSR750 (rode nicely) and Yamaha's MT07 (non-LAMs version) too, if you haven't already.

That said, I'm with you in loving the looks and feel of the Bonneville for commuting. Only ridden the later injected T100 but was surprised at just how well it handled and went for a cafe racer (if willing to ground the pretty folding pedals), though being an acceleration junkie, the flat seat meant remembering to hang on and that could get old quick if really pushing it through twisties, nailing it from the lights or running sustained high speeds. I'm sure there are some aftermarket cures though, even if it's at the expense of those nice lines.
Yeah the BMW's would probably be a definite if they had better looks. I don't mind the Speed Triple's looks (could always get an older one with the round headlights anyway) but I think it is a bit unnecessary for me, just way too much grunt for my riding ability and the roads it will be on.

I've heard very good things about the MT-07 but I'm a bit of a loyalist so I don't think I could ever buy anything from any of the other Japanese brands that isn't Honda.

I think a Bonne would be great but finding the perfect one is taking some time! I just wish they had made them a bit lighter.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca

Interesting rumor circulating the net right now. You can find more over on the 991 GT3 board. Someone claims the next GT3/RS will be turbo cars. Nothing new in this I suppose but apparently from "reliable" sources. Im not so sure about that. I guess we will wait for the MA175/6 "9A1" engine and see if it debuts at Daytona 24hrs on 30 Jan to understand better if there are is any truth to this. Its a complex debate and we are shooting in the dark here but for those with any interest in the future of Porsches naturally aspirated engine in the 911 makes interesting reading nn the less....
I would be very surprised if the next GT3 was turbo. I think Porsche have made it very clear in the past that it will not be. Not complaining if it does turn out to be though.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This guy in Germany's information is usually spot on:

911R:

price 195.000 € (incl. VAT) in Germany base option.

GT3 engine not RS engine

Manual

special interior color

This is one of the limited edition cars that have been rumored for months. Likely limited edition and launch March Geneva 2016. Its a non aero car so has no rear wing but has venturi fins mounted under the engine. I believe its meant to be a little bit more rad than track focused. Rumor is around 1390kg (40kg lighter than GT3). Price guide NZ would be similar to GT3RS (retails 180K Euro including VAT base) so 385K NZD plus options.

Good one for the collectors I think. Brings back the manual for those lamenting self shifting and is limited edition too so as per recent offshre GT3/RS prices = instant classic. Probably also kills teh chance of seeing many on a track or targa.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:17 AM
993 Targa
Racer

The new R will be an interesting car, will be interested to see how many they make too.

Do any of you guys use 2-way radios on road trips etc? I have been meaning to get a pair for a while but no idea where to start.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
The new R will be an interesting car, will be interested to see how many they make too. Do any of you guys use 2-way radios on road trips etc? I have been meaning to get a pair for a while but no idea where to start.
Yup. Have two Motorolas I bought in USA after cyclone. Small consumer affairs good for 5km between cars max. I bring them on Ron runs and will use them more in future Northland runs. Run on a different band to NZ tho (it's why they have the range I suspect?)
Old 12-16-2015, 01:36 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree the R is going to be one of those that becomes too valuable - probably bigger premium than gt3 or RS

re turbo gt3 I would think 1 more generation of NA and in the meantime the technology of turbo will also improve Less lag, more power from a smaller engine, and maybe better energy harvesting/recovery with less weight penalty which will overcome the loss of NA sharpness.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:50 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming Saturday evening :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?