Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:48 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Considering myself lucky that it didn't disintegrate given the state it was in on my final session (which was also the the one I set my PB time).
Lucky indeed. Did you find your times dropped by a couple of seconds through the day?

RSG group GT membership at HD....
From the sounds of Pete's post, we need to adopt burkhas as our new RSG dress code to share a membership!

Someone could look to negotiate a special rate for the group I suppose but that could be a tough row to hoe.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I had a chat with Gary from Playdays re these rumors at twilight about a month ago. He confirmed membership and joining fees. He also said this wouldn't apply to Playdays, however the amount of Playdays run was going down, and cost to attend was going up. Im not sure what we pay currently but I think it was $100 - $200 per day more.

All will be revealed next year I guess, to be honest running in Taupo every now and then will be fun.

Last edited by Pel; 12-14-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:03 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also running at Puke every now and again would be fine by me too. We may end up with slightly higher overall fees but that would still be affordable and I'd love more variety beyond HD.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:06 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pel, forgot to mention in all the 964-aphile hype, there was another cool air-cooled car out there on the weekend that was fun to run with. Watching you dance on the limit around the sweeper was the highlight of my day. You looked right on the edge but magically in control. Regrettably the go pro was being arsey on that run so I missed it.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Also Mark H in his Carerra rally car was there. I tried to keep up with him to watch his lines but he dragged me off after a while, and he was 2 up with a passenger too.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

For those that didn't see them last Saturday here's a few pics of my new seats installed

Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
I had a chat with Gary from Playdays about these rumors at twilight about a month ago. He confirmed membership and joining fees. He also said this wouldn't apply to Playdays, however the amount of Playdays run was going down, and cost to attend was going up. Im not sure what we pay currently but I think it was $100 - $200 per day more.

All will be revealed next year I guess, to be honest running in Taupo every now and then will be fun.
RSG days likely to be $275 inlc garage hire & BBQ/refreshments. Still pretty good value I reckon.

Originally Posted by O2GO
Also running at Puke every now and again would be fine by me too. We may end up with slightly higher overall fees but that would still be affordable and I'd love more variety beyond HD.
Get's my vote anytime. Have been trying to arrange a Puke date but they are not very communicative. Will keep trying though - it's great for a change and a lot easier on brakes.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:10 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a bugger about the nail Jake, although as you say it couldn't have come at a better time in a way since the tyre was dead anyway.

I had definitely been thinking about both forms of 996 GT3, road and race in the past. I agree with Macca on the road car, one might be nice but I'd probably be even less likely to track it than the RS as it'd just be a nice car to own. As for a Cup Car one of them would be awesome (got the 2003 on my watchlist on Trademe) but I think my recent track time has taught me I should probably start out a little bit smaller first. I'm thinking something from the Honda stable since I have always loved their engines. I was put off by the front wheel drive factor but I think that wouldn't be the end of the world whilst I am learning. In the past I've driven a few cars slower than me, was interesting to drive one way faster!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:11 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
For those that didn't see them last Saturday here's a few pics of my new seats installed

More reasons for Jason to cry into his beer. Looking awesome!!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:11 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Jason, had some good runs with yourself, Nigel & Tony in the Cayman
Old 12-14-2015, 05:59 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

agree perfect seats. great buy.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
... I think my recent track time has taught me I should probably start out a little bit smaller first. I'm thinking something from the Honda stable since I have always loved their engines. I was put off by the front wheel drive factor but I think that wouldn't be the end of the world whilst I am learning. In the past I've driven a few cars slower than me, was interesting to drive one way faster!
Not sure what vintage of Honda you'd be looking towards but even the mid-nineties Integras like our RSG racers were often called out as among the very best handlers of the front wheel drives. They are forgiving but fun to drive, and if you ever do want the rear to come around a bit there's always the lever by your left hand. I would recommend adding a half-cage if wanting to keep it road legal, or else a full cage for better safety. The only better feeling front wheel drive I've driven was the current model Golf GTI (Performance Pack edition) with the trick active torque vectoring up front. I'd still take the previous model Golf over that one though, but only because I have a handbrake fetish.

Or, if you're maybe still looking for mid-nineties Integra performance in a more modern RWD, then the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ is exactly that. Amazing how their performance stats are almost exactly line ball right across the board - 0-100, skidpad Gs, slalom, braking etc. You'd almost swear the designers were given the brief to design a RWD integra for this decade, or at least used it as a benchmark!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterC2S
More reasons for Jason to cry into his beer. Looking awesome!!
They are drop dead gorgeous and functional to boot. I lust after the simiilar looking GT2 seats (not quite as good looking probably) but even used they still cost out at 12-15K landed.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
That's a bugger about the nail Jake, although as you say it couldn't have come at a better time in a way since the tyre was dead anyway.

I had definitely been thinking about both forms of 996 GT3, road and race in the past. I agree with Macca on the road car, one might be nice but I'd probably be even less likely to track it than the RS as it'd just be a nice car to own. As for a Cup Car one of them would be awesome (got the 2003 on my watchlist on Trademe) but I think my recent track time has taught me I should probably start out a little bit smaller first. I'm thinking something from the Honda stable since I have always loved their engines. I was put off by the front wheel drive factor but I think that wouldn't be the end of the world whilst I am learning. In the past I've driven a few cars slower than me, was interesting to drive one way faster!
Hear are some typical times for 996/997 GT3 Cup from Bridgestone 2012. Good for under 1.11 at HD in the right hands. I think these were on Z214 (non road legal) or possibly some form of slick.

By all accounts probably not the right car to learn racecraft in. Non insurable and lifed components make them relatively expensive to run however if just tracked non competition I should think engines and gearboxes will last beyond the typical 40/50 hour rebuilds.

The biggest challenge with this option is you have t trailer it. But it could work with TQs membership and garage option ($75 a week?).

Taupo is a great track and it would be fun t see a few more RSG fixtures there each year.

Warwick, seats look great. Welcome to the club.

Jake. Sounds like MPSC2 time! They will knock over 1s off your time at HD for sure. Will get you low 15s. They heat cycle out around 25-35 cycles. So they will be perfect for 11 Jan and 8 Feb but may be past their best some time during SITT.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
They are drop dead gorgeous and functional to boot. I lust after the simiilar looking GT2 seats (not quite as good looking probably) but even used they still cost out at 12-15K landed.
I have both. The GT2 seats are nice because they fold (very handy for stashing helmet and gear in rear when touring) and they are definitely far superior quality. But the SP5 are lighter and much cheaper. I find the GT2 seats more comfortable for longer journeys. They are heated too!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?