Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
David. Good work. Doug had similar experience with them. They obviously have a level of latitude but it is a confusing thing and something Rasso and myself and Pete have struggled to get a specific handle on for years. The inconsistency that is. Don't get me wrong, I've been treated very well by them...but....For example Jamie has decades of track and moto experience but no go without formal tuition. Why? Over the years at RSG we have employed the services of Racing Ray three times and Owen Evans twice. Both are recognised by Prestigio (RR reluctantly) and both will not only teach you how to be a quicker and safer driver but for $50 a session will help you maintain your compliance. I've organised RR & Evans myself for 4 of the 5 RSG days they have attended last 3 years and I'm often surprised at how few people elect to use their services. Cheap insurance and experience transfer IMO. Where else in the world can you get a guy who's driven 100 plus podiums in a 911 to teach you for 15-20 mins for $50?
Couldn't agree more mate. I don't profess to be any driving god but I have done a number of track days (both car and motorbike) and had my fair share of tuition from Hugh Tunly, Stu Owers, Jono Lester, Joe McAndrew just to name a few... Prestigio seem inconsistent to their approach and mainly for an Auckland market as there was no approved instructors south of the Bombays. Shame really as there are plenty of other guys out there capable of providing tuition/the sign off that you can competently drive a car.

Was the only one I could find.... should have kept them all
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
^^^This - we are super fortunate here to have such accessible coaching. IIRC, Porsche told Ray once that his Ivory Beast had the most competition wins of any Porsche ever. Keen to get Owen's and Steve's input too but always been delighted with Ray. I've had less formal coaching than Macca but that's usually only due to them being booked out pretty quickly. Always the best investment of the day!
Too true. Ray is a great bloke on and off the track and we are privileged to have access to him I reckon. Ray came with us on our very first NITT and spent 2 days giving around 10 of us a run down on Manfield & Taupo tracks. What a great way to learn a new track. Owen is good also but has a different style again.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ponto
Hi GaryD,
Congrats on the purchase, was this the one that Nathan owned and was with Aeroautomotive? I made enquiry about that one also but you were way to quick for me! Looked like a nice car but never had the chance to view in person.
Worked out pretty well for us as we were looking to replace our last car, a NZ 993 targa tip which Kirsty loved and I enjoyed driving more than I thought I would, we didn't think replacing with the same would be possible, but as luck would have it that's exactly what we've done! Same year (96), NZ car, low K's (within 2k of the old one), arguably a better history, great genuine condition as was the old one, just in a different colour, old one was Ibis Blue / Midnight Blue interior, this one Arena Red / Black interior, happy days!
With Kirsty driving the last one way more than I the new one will be her car and I'll get some weekend privilages, seems only fair with the amount of racing I'm doing at the moment and it also leaves a sycological door open for me to get my own P car sometime in the future, quite fancy a mechanically tweaked rat / outlaw type beast, getting a bit ahead of myself here, it's ok to plan ahead though, right? !

Yes , that's the car from Aero Automotive , I saw it at Hampton Downs and liked it .

You must have been quick on the 993 , saw it on TM but wasn't there for long , congrats , looks like a nice car , you where lucky to get out and back in with out losing your shirt in this market
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Garry D
Yes , that's the car from Aero Automotive , I saw it at Hampton Downs and liked it .

You must have been quick on the 993 , saw it on TM but wasn't there for long , congrats , looks like a nice car , you where lucky to get out and back in with out losing your shirt in this market
Nice to have the option on a car you knew and had seen before, good result.
The seller had ours up for a couple of hours, just long enough to get a couple of serious buyers interested and then took it down, didn't want the hassle of lots of calls and yes back in relatively unscathed, kept the shirt intact albeit with slightly shorter sleeves!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice to have the option on a car you knew and had seen before, good result.
The seller had ours up for a couple of hours, just long enough to get a couple of serious buyers interested and then took it down, didn't want the hassle of lots of calls and yes back in relatively unscathed, kept the shirt intact albeit with slightly shorter sleeves!
Gary, does this mean P car run again? Love to see it against my arena red car too.

S
Old 02-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this at Giltraps today. Apparently the last one left in NZ and just been sold to a UK buyer for $695k
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leong72
Saw this at Giltraps today. Apparently the last one left in NZ and just been sold to a UK buyer for $695k
No surprise there. When they were first released I said they'd become instant investments and many disagreed. One thing for sure in P-Cars history repeats. Shame its gone offshore.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2016, 03:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Not too bad return. I think they sold new in NZ for $470K (IIRC thats what Bill told me in 2012 at the parade). $200k profit (minus comms) in 4 years...
Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 AM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spokes
Gary, does this mean P car run again? Love to see it against my arena red car too.

S
Hi Steve, yes mate, looking forward to catching up again for some weekend runs, there's also a couple of other locals with air cooled cars on the way so we may have a few for some runs which will be good. Catch up over the next few weeks, car should be here by the end of Feb. cheers
Old 02-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes things just work out. I was going to miss the concourse today in its entirety. We had a few things planned for my wife's birthday today but she got a better offer so ditched me for that. Suits me. Quick wash of the T and off to Ellerslie.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2016, 06:03 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Hi Steve, yes mate, looking forward to catching up again for some weekend runs, there's also a couple of other locals with air cooled cars on the way so we may have a few for some runs which will be good. Catch up over the next few weeks, car should be here by the end of Feb. cheers
That's great to hear. I'm up for some 6am dawn raids on you know where when we're all in Queenstown in March.

Gary, I'm driving Akl to Wellington next Friday/Saturday. Presumably that's a bit too soon to hook up?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
That's great to hear. I'm up for some 6am dawn raids on you know where when we're all in Queenstown in March. Gary, I'm driving Akl to Wellington next Friday/Saturday. Presumably that's a bit too soon to hook up?
We should schedule an early early morning Sunday run up the hill and over. Then head home for breakfast and off to Gibbston for the booked lunch. It's the only morning I can think of because after the QT to Teretongato QT trip on the Friday including 8 hrs on track there's no way you'll be getting most out of bed at 5.45 am on the Sat. We could repeat it all again Monday morning before heading to Highlands!!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by O2GO
That's great to hear. I'm up for some 6am dawn raids on you know where when we're all in Queenstown in March.

Gary, I'm driving Akl to Wellington next Friday/Saturday. Presumably that's a bit too soon to hook up?
Hi Doug, look forward to catching up again and meeting the other members that will be down, will be nice to put a face to some names. Definately keen for some early drives whilst your down.
Unlikely it will be ready by Friday, will need to order some parts on Monday that most likely will be an overseas item, then a day to install. I'm not actually sure I'm going to be able to road trip it back now as I'm away 2nd March for 5 days at the Clipsol 500 and the following weekend is the NZ endurance series race at HD, it's looking more unlikely I'll make this with the time off work already and a gear box that requires a rebuild, plus you guys will be in QTown. I May have to use a transporter service to make sure it's here for 12/13th weekend.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macca
We should schedule an early early morning Sunday run up the hill and over. Then head home for breakfast and off to Gibbston for the booked lunch. It's the only morning I can think of because after the QT to Teretongato QT trip on the Friday including 8 hrs on track there's no way you'll be getting most out of bed at 5.45 am on the Sat. We could repeat it all again Monday morning before heading to Highlands!!
Sounds good, Glenorchy is another option for Sunday morning, cafe for breakfast in Glenorchy township, it would leave the trip over the Crown Range for Monday on your way to Highlands.
That's a pretty long day Friday, I'm not surprised a few would want a sleep in, no doubt Doug would of been to Haast and back before brekky!!
If anyone needs a hoist to check over the cars or do maintenance, tyre change etc on Saturday please let me know, I should be able to sort 2 hoists out at a friends workshop in QTown, he does a lot of Porsche work so will be useful if anyone has an issue, I'll obviously need to check the above should it be required. Cheers
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Good stuff Gary. The Glenorchy run is nice when done before the tourists arrive and good Cafes IIRC.

Yes. On the way to Highlands we could do Crown Range and then up towards the Matukituki and back before breakfast in Wanaka. From my experience getting to the top of the Crown Range at first light is glorious but a few of the boys may need to harden up to join us and beat the camper vans ha ha.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?