kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Cheers John
Old 11-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Captain Ahab Jr has already got more then 200 kg out of his road legal C2...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...weight-c2.html

Tim
Old 11-20-2015, 10:02 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys I guess most people will be there for both weekends of the Porsche festival?

And for the regularity sprints we need an extinguisher in the car? How would I do that in my car?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Guys - if you are planning on entering festival events can I ask you to enter NOW please. Entires are coming in slower than desired at the moment. I would strongly suggest you all consider entering at least the Porsche Trials - circulating at speed with 48 other Porches will be a lot of fun. www.motorsportentry.com
48 participating at once the n the track?
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Guys I guess most people will be there for both weekends of the Porsche festival? And for the regularity sprints we need an extinguisher in the car? How would I do that in my car?
For Herman I bought a bracket and extinguisher from RaceFx (Andy Culpin 021 172 6345) at HD. I think it was ~ $130. The bracket fitted to the seat mounts and was bolt in. For the 2k cup cars we bought 2-strap home extinguishers with brackets from Mitre 10 for $30 and bolted them to the floor.

As for attendance, I have to fly overseas for work on the second Sunday so I'm only looking at the first weekend. No dual sprints for me.

Last edited by John McM; 11-20-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
48 participating at once the n the track?
I think that's the maximum number of grid spaces. I doubt it will be anywhere near that full.

In the Class Trials it works this way:

The cars run a qualifying session. You then look at your times and fix a time you think you can keep to. The time can't be lower than the minimum set. I'm not sure what this is for the meet. In the past it's been 1.28. I seem to recall 1.25 for this meet?

The grid placing is set on the nominated time. Fastest at the front, although at times they have also taken the actual qualifying time into account I.e. Setting the nominated time at the fastest possible didn't t necessarily give you pole if you weren't the faster in qualifying.

The start is on the grid. There is no need to race off the grid as the first lap is not timed. The regularity starts when you hit the start finish line for the second time. The trial will go for 6 or 7 laps. Your goal is to get consistent laps circulating at your nominated time. If you are the most consistent you win. In the trials, dry days are won with people running at 0.2 to 0.4 seconds variance.

Tactics are as follows:

The most consistent drivers limit revs up the main straight. E.g. You might rev to 5,000 max. You then go your normal pace on the rest of the track.

What mucks this up is traffic. If you are obsessed about being on pole, in the trials you catch the slowest cars before the trial ends. Getting past them mucks up your time.

The easiest way to take out your opponent is to get them black flagged. You do this by egging them on to race. They forget the goal of the meet, lose their sense of time and run below the minimum time while you back off massively on the main straight.

In reality I think many will treat it as a fun set of laps. It is yawnsville for spectators as they watch a lot of cars go past in a procession at moderate speed.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John thanks for explaining that. Useful for those of us never done one.

What size is the FE required to be minimum?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

pS will only be doing first weekend as fly out shortly thereafter and not back till the week before SITT...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John thanks for explaining that. Useful for those of us never done one. What size is the FE required to be minimum?

0.9kg
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John thanks for explaining that. Useful for those of us never done one.
If you are looking to win then your goal off the grid is to be in relatively clear space for the timing portion. It helps to find out who else has nominated the same time so you can track with them.

However the biggest challenge is working out what you need to do to have a similar time each lap. This is what you concentrate on in the practice and qualifying. The rev limiting up the main straight is the secret as it gives a fixed time for a significant part of the track. Generally people are consistent through the twisties so better to run at your natural pace through those.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
If you are looking to win then your goal off the grid is to be in relatively clear space for the timing portion. It helps to find out who else has nominated the same time so you can track with them. However the biggest challenge is working out what you need to do to have a similar time each lap. This is what you concentrate on in the practice and qualifying. The rev limiting up the main straight is the secret as it gives a fixed time for a significant part of the track. Generally people are consistent through the twisties so better to run at your natural pace through those.
Thanks John. I've never competed in this type of event and to be truthful just saw it as an opportunity to participate and get some laps in on the 993 at HD more than anything. The insurance cover was the deciding factor. I'll take your advice on board though I doubt I'll be able to get much more than a second consistent a lap with my driving lol!

Thanks for the info on the FE. I have the 1kg currently fitted (rather than the ugly 2kg for targa) so will leave it in place...

Last edited by Macca; 11-20-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
If anyone is really interested heres a 15 page thread on the D Morris hardtop.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...for-964-a.html
Great thread. Will make it easy for anyone wanting to go this way. Hood is a bit pricier than I saw a few years back but comes with OEM latches and stuff..
Old 11-21-2015, 03:29 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Guys - if you are planning on entering festival events can I ask you to enter NOW please.

Entires are coming in slower than desired at the moment.

I would strongly suggest you all consider entering at least the Porsche Trials - circulating at speed with 48 other Porches will be a lot of fun.

www.motorsportentry.com
It's pretty expensive isn't it?
Probably not bad if you have a racing Porsche and can do a few categories.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
It's pretty expensive isn't it?
Probably not bad if you have a racing Porsche and can do a few categories.
Dave, I think part of the problem is that we are spoiled with Playday, RSG days and 2k cup.

However I still believe $370 for the weekend is ok. You have practice, then qualifying and four races. Total track time is similar to your 2k cup day which cost you $300 and you get side benefits here of being in the midst of it as well as having free tickets for the family and cheap arsed friends.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Around Xmas I will be putting a number of items on ebay.com. They wont be listed on Trade Me.These will range from rare 1:18 Porsche models to collectible Porsche books and many brochures covering 964/993/996 & 997 model generations. I need to make some space for tyres. There will be some Ferrari 355 & Ducati 996 related stuff as well...

I will endeavor to post some links here when they are up.

Here are a few teasers...
Attached Images         

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?