Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 05:45 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If we are looking outside of Porsche then an Integra R on Dot R will be as quick as the current crop of 964 for 17k. I met a young fellow at HD in September whilst getting a coffee at the cart, running a basically stock R on 888s with bucket seats who's PB in that car was 1.19.78. Dougs been running boxsters for years on the track with no issues. The problems no doubt arise when you are starting to push on. Guess its just the luck of the draw. Till recently Porsche would supply you a factory refurb swap out engine for under 20k. CCS fitted a few of these over the years.
The M96 engine has been raced for years. Steve R would be the best source of advice on preventative track/race prep. Chris is running M97 with this kind of prep, as well as performance upgrades of course.

Enjoyed my first 2KCup yesterday in dramatically wet (at times) conditions.... My commentary copied for those not on Facebook....

We (Dave and I) proudly brought her home incident free in pretty atrocious conditions at times. At one point i was chasing a group of 5 or so on the main straight with so much water lifting off the track i could barely see. I thought this is too risky and eased off with the conditions soon returning to safe racing. I was reminded of the conditions leading to my accident and with three other people off in my race i know i made the right decision. I thouht of pulling out but glad i took the option to just ease off, play safe, and caught the group again when it eased anyway.

The scariest part was when the SC left the track and racing resumed from the main straight with 3-4 wide going around T1 in the wet. Decided to keep clean and preserve the car :-)

Need more experience to play like that.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on a gold for the wheels i'm looking at. I have some example disks. The left is 'Gold' the right 'Light Metallic Gold'. When against my car the Gold pops a little more than the LMG. The LMG has a lot of metallic flake on certain angles in bright sunlight. Both change saturation slightly when viewed from different angles and in different light. Man, gold is such a difficult colour. Its particularly difficult to photograph and get a representative image I've also attached a vid of a similar wheel that i took. This wheel is in Gold. Sadly i haven't seen an LMG live as all work wheels are custom made Ideally i like something as close the the BBS E88 if anyone has seen one live? Any opinions? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIArVlK43oM">YouTube Link</a>
Looking at the discs I prefer the left, but that could change in real world conditions where you have full sun to cloud and pristine clean to dirty.

One thing I can say is that I've learned that I prefer to get what I want within reason as settling for something else sticks in my mind. I.e. If you want the 88s you will always want them even with this purchase. Aspirational wheels also seem to hold their value.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
The M96 engine has been raced for years. Steve R would be the best source of advice on preventative track/race prep. Chris is running M97 with this kind of prep, as well as performance upgrades of course. Enjoyed my first 2KCup yesterday in dramatically wet (at times) conditions.... My commentary copied for those not on Facebook.... We (Dave and I) proudly brought her home incident free in pretty atrocious conditions at times. At one point i was chasing a group of 5 or so on the main straight with so much water lifting off the track i could barely see. I thought this is too risky and eased off with the conditions soon returning to safe racing. I was reminded of the conditions leading to my accident and with three other people off in my race i know i made the right decision. I thouht of pulling out but glad i took the option to just ease off, play safe, and caught the group again when it eased anyway. The scariest part was when the SC left the track and racing resumed from the main straight with 3-4 wide going around T1 in the wet. Decided to keep clean and preserve the car :-) Need more experience to play like that.
I think you and Dave nailed this. Enter as a pair (nor at all sure how you got two races each!), new pads and all sorted before race day. Plus you drove within your comfort zone and brought the car home in one piece. Cheapest race day out you will ever have.

My experience is that final race positions are set more in qualifying and the start than in the close quarter battles on the track. After about 5 minutes into the 33 minute race you are swapping a few places but not charging multiple spots up the order. Albeit that said Walter charged through one field for a podium.

I'm looking forward to the 12th at Pukekohe in the Grinch (prefer to be caged for that track). It's sad I will miss the 964 gathering at HD, even though there is no way Herman could have made it.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Calling all 15 BB owners.

We may have an opportunity to run BB at the Porsche Club grass Gymkhana next Sunday. It's at Dairy Flat. Entries are $30 each.

How many are interested? Btw this is all dependent on BB bring able to run as is
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Looking at the discs I prefer the left, but that could change in real world conditions where you have full sun to cloud and pristine clean to dirty.

One thing I can say is that I've learned that I prefer to get what I want within reason as settling for something else sticks in my mind. I.e. If you want the 88s you will always want them even with this purchase. Aspirational wheels also seem to hold their value.
Left(gold) vote for me too. Any light brake dust etc on the wheels will reduce brightness as well
Old 11-22-2015, 01:23 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Your right John I will always aspire to a set of BBS wheels. Ultimately i'd like a set of E26's but i don't think i would buy mag unless the car was entirely a show car and never suffered NZ roads. Work wheels will never have the cache of the BBS, particularly in the Porsche world, even though they make the barrels for BBS. At least i know the quality is right up there.

Originally Posted by gt38088
Left(gold) vote for me too. Any light brake dust etc on the wheels will reduce brightness as well
I'm heading toward the Gold as well. Thanks for the input fellas, its good to get options from the cognoscenti.

I want a colour that at least respects or comes close to period
Old 11-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I have a mate who's a painter and was always modding his bikes. He painted the wheels on his VFR gold and showed me the difference in Golds available and the one on the right has tinge of green to it which was the same issue he had trying to match a "clean" gold. The left one would be my choice.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:35 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I have a mate who's a painter and was always modding his bikes. He painted the wheels on his VFR gold and showed me the difference in Golds available and the one on the right has tinge of green to it which was the same issue he had trying to match a "clean" gold. The left one would be my choice.
Yes the right disc has a little Olive which cannot be seen in only some lights. The left is definitely more 'gold'
Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Luckily we dont have deer crossing our race track....
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2015, 03:29 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Warwick, there was a black 964 RS replica in 911 Porsche world a few years back that had gold BBS wheels and looked the duck's guts. I'll dig it out.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Luckily we dont have deer crossing our race track....
Reminded me of this thread from a few years ago!
Attached Images    
Old 11-22-2015, 04:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, I think part of the problem is that we are spoiled with Playday, RSG days and 2k cup.

However I still believe $370 for the weekend is ok. You have practice, then qualifying and four races. Total track time is similar to your 2k cup day which cost you $300 and you get side benefits here of being in the midst of it as well as having free tickets for the family and cheap arsed friends.
Good sales pitch JMc - you are hired.

You need to keep in mind this is a 3 day Porsche Festival - not a run of the mill track day. You are going to see Porsches you haven't seen before (2 x Le Mans museum cars) and a lot of guys come up from the SI with some cool cars. You will see 964 cup cars come out of restoration and lighting direct cars in action etc.

You will not see this many Porsches at the track in the foreseeable future. You can save a few bucks and live vicariously or be part of the action on the track for 30mins each day and participate??
Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

double post
Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Good sales pitch JMc - you are hired. You need to keep in mind this is a 3 day Porsche Festival - not a run of the mill track day. You are going to see Porsches you haven't seen before (2 x Le Mans museum cars) and a lot of guys come up from the SI with some cool cars. You will see 964 cup cars come out of restoration and lighting direct cars in action etc. You will not see this many Porsches at the track in the foreseeable future. You can save a few bucks and live vicariously or be part of the action on the track for 30mins each day and participate??
And you have a permanent reminder of your participation in the event competitor list.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:50 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964X33
Warwick, there was a black 964 RS replica in 911 Porsche world a few years back that had gold BBS wheels and looked the duck's guts. I'll dig it out.
Thanks Jason. Got your message. Appreciate it

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?