Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015 | 08:55 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
To make the GT3 B road friendly, you need to put JZM's or motions in.

$10K later you have a GT3 faster on the track and more road compliant (i.e. won't kill you on B Road)

I was planning to go visit the guy who purchased the white 6.2 GT3 targa car. Surely that has to be friendly on B Roads otherwise owner would be dead??
I'm pretty sure MCA shocks on that car. more compliant than stock so better for B roads. but still good body control. Most likely because of remote canisters. more oil capacity to absorb the hits. Murray Coote is probably the best suspension guy in the southern hemisphere. I run his shocks on my Targa car. The good thing is you can ring him up and discuss set up, spring rates etc and have an understandable conversation.
Servicing is straight forward. I use a guy in AKL with a shock dyno and if parts are needed they get send over
Old 12-09-2015 | 09:08 PM
Pel
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Pel. You keeping her? It looks so good in white...
My wife wanted an RS4 Wagon, went to CCS and drove one last weekend, decided she didn't want it so it's brought me some time, I will loose eventually though.

Listing on Trademe doesn't appeal either.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Believe they look good (though I reckon the original Turbo II's are hard to go past for looks). In 18s the Ultraleggeras are actually well suited to track too as they are light, properly forged for strength, and will clear big brake kits IIRC.
I like the Turbo II's but don't think they fill the guards from some angles and look a little small, I would keep the factory wheels if ever tracked, 19" is just for show ponying around. 997 Turbo wheels are an option but not 100% sold they look right on a 996.

Slightly bigger wheels give them a little facelift IMO.
Old 12-09-2015 | 09:14 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Anyone considering upgrading shocks for the 996/997 platforms should talk to DSC/TPC about their active damper systems. I've been playing with the software for tuning the shocks and am quietly impressed. Would expect that the range and response to tuning would be much greater on the Tractive shock setup. Having the ability to cycle through custom maps on the fly is the answer to the track vs B road setup question.

Looking forward to testing it out on Saturday.
Old 12-09-2015 | 09:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
I'm pretty sure MCA shocks on that car. more compliant than stock so better for B roads. but still good body control. Most likely because of remote canisters. more oil capacity to absorb the hits. Murray Coote is probably the best suspension guy in the southern hemisphere. I run his shocks on my Targa car. The good thing is you can ring him up and discuss set up, spring rates etc and have an understandable conversation.
Servicing is straight forward. I use a guy in AKL with a shock dyno and if parts are needed they get send over
Can you kindly send me Murray's details please Graeme.
Old 12-09-2015 | 09:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No - I don't have the time, but like you my mechanic does.

Maybe even PSS10's would be an interesting experiment.

Something to look at next year depending on how work goes.......
Its a whole nother rats nest to open up. I dont have access to a track and mechanic for a day or two to get the best out of a separate gas reservoir system and you need to set these up yourself, its not geo where you can take a stab, it required lots of real world bum in seat time from what Ive read.

PSS10 will be an improvement but the GT3 already has a cilover system in place.

As Graeme W knows these guys are one of the best in the business setting up these cars for fast road/tarmac rally work and this is a system that is tried and tested on GT3 including the latest WRC rally examples. Budget around 12-15K plus mechanic time at the track and road to set them up. very nice system

http://www.exe-tc.co.uk/porsche
Old 12-09-2015 | 10:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Anyone considering upgrading shocks for the 996/997 platforms should talk to DSC/TPC about their active damper systems. I've been playing with the software for tuning the shocks and am quietly impressed. Would expect that the range and response to tuning would be much greater on the Tractive shock setup. Having the ability to cycle through custom maps on the fly is the answer to the track vs B road setup question.

Looking forward to testing it out on Saturday.
Yes this is an interesting development and one which I think could eventually offer modern chassis gains to the older 964/993 platforms too with the Tractive shock set up (no doubt a reasonably expensive set up). For a dual use car the potential is undeniable. Very keen to hear how your find these on Saturday. Mixed results from SITT but that may have been just teething issues.
Old 12-09-2015 | 11:25 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Who was talking track cars a few pages back

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-996689517.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-989111534.htm
Old 12-09-2015 | 11:51 PM
Maxem
Drifting

^^^^ Yeah good photo taken by Jake I think.

I'm really liking this photo too that I found on the net - thinking of copying the stripes.
I've just done the hard yards for you there Paul, having a few basic graphics cut for the T for the festival so that it kind of looks like it was a hero back in its day. I'll let you know the best sign shop to use after many emails to many businesses, rip off prices and no responses from most.
Old 12-10-2015 | 12:25 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maxem
I've just done the hard yards for you there Paul, having a few basic graphics cut for the T for the festival so that it kind of looks like it was a hero back in its day. I'll let you know the best sign shop to use after many emails to many businesses, rip off prices and no responses from most.
Cool - looking forward to the big reveal.

BTW, did anyone here start as they meant to carry on and sit their driving test in a Porsche:

Old 12-10-2015 | 12:52 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Thanks Mate.
Old 12-10-2015 | 04:47 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Warwick. Weather for Sat looks OK IMO. Less than 1mm rain forecast in the morning which is nothing and a dry line will form quickly on the track. Compared to recent visits to HD I dont think the track will stay damp fr more than an hour or two early on. I think yur idea to stay with what you have is a good one - try out the new alignment settings and get some time off your PB on existing tyres then graduate to the R comps for Jan RSG day...
Slow and steady wins the race
Old 12-10-2015 | 05:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Less than 24 hours to go, assuming Herman gets up the driveway. Also entered for the dual sprints and Le Mans dinner. Making an absolute meal of this festival

Herman looks like my little pony here, but I'll give him some dignity over the next few days
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2015 | 05:13 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The orange stripes is a tasty look Paul. Go do it :-)
Old 12-10-2015 | 05:27 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by Obsessed
It's a shame the trials aren't being better supported -- it's the best chance to get a heap of different Porsche models out on track together.
Just saw the list of entrants for the trials -- not a big field but a good variety of cars, 1955-2010.
Old 12-10-2015 | 05:27 AM
esonefour
Intermediate

Red line oil in and road tested , even reversing out of my driveway was a breeze.
It's definitely not a new gearbox but I have delayed rebuild for a few months/years.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?