Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I have forecast this outcome a while back as you know. Personally, if I lived in NZ I would consider paying $4K for 20 track days pa for a year or two. I could do with some more laps like that at HD to catch up with you! That said I dont think I could pay the $10K membership - mostly because after a year or two doing 20 days at HD a year Id be a bit bored with it all I reckon...

The writing is definitely on the wall. I believe by Nov 2016 things will have changed radically. I think Playdays will struggle to survive at HD with the new demands and pricing structure. I really hope Im wrong.

Pels idea about Taupo is a good one. We may have to make it our new track home!
Even if you see the value in membership, will you be playing by yourself? I suspect Quinn will be happy to see numbers of users reduce and a membership/race/spectator model emerge.

Equally, I can see Pukekohe and Taupo bringing up options. I would love to do say 4 or 5 trips to Taupo a year for $4,000 all up and leave Quinn with his 'model'. The only problem I can see for many is track insurance. Prestigio may decide coverage ends with Playday.

On the other hand, if you have the cash then the idea of spending $8,000 per annum to have a car garaged at HD and 20 days to use it on per year will be attractive for some. I wonder what this will do for the value of track oriented machinery?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ Was thinking the yoko's for the 3.2, but like Mark didn't like the tread patten. Also there is no 225/16 stock? (I assume you run 205/225). I wish I knew about the Dunlops - I ended up going Michie PS3's yesterday - I have Michie's PS3 on our Audi's and the 993 and really like them - a very quiet tyre.
The SC is 205 55 and 225 50, but the T is 205 50 all round.
I will enquire about the Dunlops in SC size
Old 10-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Interesting... those would fit my car, and much cheaper than the 888's ($1500/set).

Only two and a half weeks until the big reveal, right Dave?
Right. It has a number plate now and I will jack up insurance this week.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure did Phil. P + Laser + Oct at Titirangi yacht club. It was a bit tongue in cheek. I understood all the vernacular other than "a slab in the main"...?? I have to confess Im not a real sailor (Im sure you guessed). I prefer when we are under motor so my G&T doesn't get spilled, I dont have to walk sideways to the galley for a "slab" and I hate cooking using a gimble stove holding onto the bench top to stay upright....:-)
Slab is slang for a reef, or shortening the mainsail when the wind gets up.
There certainly wasn't much time for G&T, all food was cold but we did manage a beer for sundowners.
Maybe next year I'll join you in the wheelhouse Phil?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:35 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Taupo roadies then, perhaps the RSG guys group buy a Taupo commercial premises, 750 sqm car storage, open plan living, pool table, couple of hoists....
^^^ I'm liking this idea...........
Old 10-28-2015, 04:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally quite like the idea of my own garage, going to the track once a fortnight and have the use of a gentlemen's club like facility with a big **** deck.

I also quite like the idea of racing a cup car.

Just don't have the money for either.

It's the track access that is key. I was thinking you could fund half an apt and have doulbe garage and own club room with sleeping accomodation - but then remembered you need access to the track.

I think the track day junkies (who can afford it) will line up to do it as for only a few dollars more, you get a garage, better track access, a koru club type lounge and somewhere to park your car and tyres?

The more I think about it, the more I see the value in his propersition - assuming you go to the track 1-2 times a month.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, your info is probably limited but will the garage rental be optional?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree Paul. Becomes like gym membership tho. Many pay their 10k and after 2 years find they have lost interest. Quinn gets to sell more 10k membership fees! Smart man. Over 10 years limiting to say 50 membership with a drop off rate of 20% pa he clears 1000,000 in fees alone, and 2000,000 in annual fees let alone 2000,000 in garage rental. That's 300,000 per year revenue for blocking 20 days from the calendar. 15,000 per day!! If he could get that for the other 300 days a year he would be a very wealthy man.....ok he is already a very wealthy man.....no wonder why!!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

And can you share a membership with a few mates??
Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

And can you share a membership with a few mates??
The Highlands arrangement does allow company ownership. That would be a smarter way to do it as the shares can be sold.

If the name isn't on the membership then it's becoming more viable.

Heck the 2k cup syndicate could actually make more use of the Grinch in a track side garage with 20 days use. Dividing everything by 7 has its upside.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
The Highlands arrangement does allow company ownership. That would be a smarter way to do it as the shares can be sold.

If the name isn't on the membership then it's becoming more viable.

Heck the 2k cup syndicate could actually make more use of the Grinch in a track side garage with 20 days use. Dividing everything by 7 has its upside.
Quinn will have "a standard" tho John and vet applicants like he does at Highlands so I doubt your Grinch idea would fly LOL!

Fractional ownership is an angle but Im sure Quinn retains a "beneficial change of ownership" or "if majority shares in the company are sold" review clause. It would be a good way to allow more than one to benefit from a membership tho.

20 days a year is a lot. Folks who have the money are busy running businesses and have families so going twice a month is unlikley. I doubt many will use their membership more than 7-8 times a year. Offshore folk like me face the same challengers, or worse.

Id be surprised if it would interest even the likes of Ron/Patsy. They might get together with friends to purchase but i doubt they would want to go to HD 20 times a year.

As long as there is a Playdays option or an Uncles style twilight option at reasonable cost we are safe. I expect when the track extension is done the fees will almost double from what they were earlier this year with Tony Roberts (they have already increased once from Jan 2016 even before the extension is finished!). That would mean around $400 for a Prestige slot.

Taupo is sounding good too. I really like the track and location. Its family oriented too (the location). I have no issue with the drive down there it takes only 1.45 hrs more than HD from my place.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel very lucky, and equally sad, that i did then, and now can't, take advantage of the twice a week Ruapuna test day's. A whole day, 20 minutes alternating sessions between car and bikes for $40. Sometimes you would have the track alone or at least with your spotter. I'm glad i sold my track bike now. I would just not have been able to enjoy it as i once did
Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Equally, I can see Pukekohe and Taupo bringing up options. I would love to do say 4 or 5 trips to Taupo a year for $4,000 all up and leave Quinn with his 'model'. The only problem I can see for many is track insurance. Prestigio may decide coverage ends with Playday.
Taupo is Tony's home so may well be that Playday can continue there plus they run days at Manfield as well. No reason they couldn't also do days at Puke to replace HD.

Puke is a load of fun but it is harder on the cars.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:46 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

. deleted

Last edited by pcarplayer; 10-28-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

This is a cross post from the 964 forum but if anyone here would care to chime in?

I'm looking into buying a set of Work Brombacher and would like your opinions on sizing. I am running around RS ride height and a fair amount a camber. The car is used for a mix of road and track, though these wheels won't be used on track as they are there for posing. That said, I am not interested in a slammed car just one with a good stance. It goes without saying i want to minimise rubbing and my be willing to use thin spacers (up to 7mm) as required

Here are the possible specs options

Obligatory eye candy.

Last edited by pcarplayer; 10-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?