Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Yikes 50k, well that certainly went for a lot more than I thought. Gave it a good crack but wasn't to be. Even had a NOS 1/4 lined up if it had worked out but that car sold for wayyyy too much with those km's.
Very very easy repair though but there will be others, makes the last 993 tipo sold at Manheim look like a bargain at 11.5K
John. For you that may have been a very very easy repair. The gearbox (if the original owners claims are true) may have been your largest single cost, probably followed by a new LSA frame. But for us mortals getting that car to a level that would have been enthusiast acceptable, tracked straight and cosmetically straight would have been a very expensive task. I think John will agree you can spend 20-30K with no problems on gearboxes, paint and tidying up suspension and these things on these cars even when you are a little bit handy.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Just keep calling it as you see it Macca - wouldn't have it any other way. Like Paul, I reckon the great leveller will be the resumption of normal service on the interest rate front, though I suppose some would say that Japan itself is an example of how long they can stay down (OCR coming up to 20 years now under 1%).

Quite funny though that you should lament the situation, as I think the NZ fires may have been lit (or at least well stoked) when a certain 993 hit TradeMe at what was probably a near record price.
Thanks Walter.

And yes the irony is not lost that 18 months ago I set out t demonstrate how mad the market was by putting a silly price on my 993. Though the car never sold and the buyer who did stump up was never given opportunity to drive the car let alone haggle and drive away (seems in retrospect he was a pretty fickle guy) it did indeed involve a bit of hat eating. On my behalf. If you live by the sword you have to die by it too! Even today I do not believe that my 993 would sell for 150K (certainly not at least with it current patina paint and aesthetically challenged track wheels), but neither am I going to throw it on Trade me again to find out!!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:15 AM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Shopping

No idea how much they want, but this 1994 3.6 RHD Turbo is in a window down here for sale.... Probably has a window sticker of 3 mill

Photo was through a window... sorry!

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks like the mint low mileage (10k km) X88 option car ex Brunei with the $$$ exclusive options which was for sale a few years back around 140K....shame as i cant make out the rego to check but if so its the best example in the country and possibly anywhere...must be worth at least 3.5 million scheckles I reckon ;-p

Last edited by Macca; 01-06-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks like the mint low mileage X55 option car with the $$$ exclusive options which was for sale a few years back around 140K....shame as i cant make out the rego to check but if so its the best example in the country and possibly anywhere...must be worth at least 3.5 million scheckles I reckon ;-p
OOPS

Number plate is SB6744
Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
OOPS Number plate is SB6744
Confirms its the ex Brunei car.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. For you that may have been a very very easy repair. The gearbox (if the original owners claims are true) may have been your largest single cost, probably followed by a new LSA frame. But for us mortals getting that car to a level that would have been enthusiast acceptable, tracked straight and cosmetically straight would have been a very expensive task. I think John will agree you can spend 20-30K with no problems on gearboxes, paint and tidying up suspension and these things on these cars even when you are a little bit handy.
'Refurb' is an elastic term covering a wide range of options and associated costs. I documented part of that in my last few postings on my refurb thread concerning the gearbox rebuild. My end goal was a car I could own and use freely for the next 20 years. I've achieved that. If the end goal was resale I would have spent a lot less e.g. I wouldn't be changing out a lot of expensive trim or even bolts e.g. The $20 lock nut that holds the heat shield.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Confirms its the ex Brunei car.
Yes it is The One. probably sitting n around 17000km now....
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Macca. Yes the nano-sealants like Quartz and opti-coat have come a long way the last couple of years. I met Stephan and had a quote for some work in the frunk. $2k for a little surface rust and straightening and refinishing the frunk floor. Obviously a perfectionist but unfortunately a bit rich an unnecessary I thought. I should have pressed for a quote for just the surface rust repair so I blame myself and have no ill feeling toward Haslers. I have an alternative which will proceed with post festival.

Did you ever find some alternative storage space for your cars? I remember last year you were in need of a change. My brother in law has a couple of cars he needs to find more permanent storage for and obviously the economies of scale encourage some form of share arrangement
Waaaaatt? 2K really??
Old 01-06-2016, 03:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Waaaaatt? 2K really??
I think it involved removing the hydraulics, welding in a body panel and refitting. Still a bit rich.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Many of the guys in their 20's or 30's on here would have to be renting or financial 'rock stars' to be debt free.
Or living outside of Auckland with a cheap Porsche!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Or living outside of Auckland with a cheap Porsche!
Micheal, are you coming to the Festival?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:03 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Micheal, are you coming to the Festival?
Yes, for the trials only.

Any chance I can hire your Aim for a session on the 11th?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Yes, for the trials only.

Any chance I can hire your Aim for a session on the 11th?
Good to catch up again. Sure you can take the AIM out for a session or two. Looking to set a PB or just dial in a regular time?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Good to catch up again. Sure you can take the AIM out for a session or two. Looking to set a PB or just dial in a regular time?
Thanks, be great to catch up and see the new and improved Herman too. Bit of both actually. I haven't been timed at HD since July 2013 so I've got no clue where I'm at these days. I feel like I'm more cautious than I once was but it could just be that I'm more used to it. Be interesting to find out.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?