Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Interesting article there Macca about the full 911 range, do you have the bit about the GTS too?

Your point about the GT4CS seems like a dream scenario, would it be quicker than a 997 Cup car though which would be much cheaper?

On the topic of cup cars out of interest are their running costs crazy or not that bad? I had read 996s were more reasonable?
Oh yeah sorry mate I missed that. Here is the link. I think the GTS was a bit of a stand out. If the GT3 was the surprise amongst the more competition oriented cars then the GTS was the same for the road cars. he was only 3 seconds a lap slower with the GTS (PDK) than the GT3 but it was on Michelin PSS which have to be 1-1.5s slower a lap than the N0 MPSC2.

http://editorial.autoweb.com/track-t...-mans-911-rsr/

With regards your question. Its not known for sure yet and there is much debate on the interweb but initial estimates (based partly on existing Cayman race cars) are that the GT4CS will be approximately 30-40% cheaper to run at competition level that the 991 Cup. This is partly due to its transmission.The RSR is a whole different ball game.

From 7.1 Cup the sequential cars are a little trickier to master than the PDK-S and may have noisier cut gears (I am told have never driven one).

Yes an early 997 Cup with all the later upgrades will set you back less than 120K so 100K+ cheaper than this. But it will be a 9 year old car and may components will be lifing.

I don't know which would be quicker. My guess is there wouldn't be much in it.

The older 996 Cup cars are cheaper to buy (sub 100) but more expensive to run (getting old and Porsche Motorsports parts for these are high).
Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes an early 997 Cup with all the later upgrades will set you back less than 120K so 100K+ cheaper than this. But it will be a 9 year old car and may components will be lifing.

The older 996 Cup cars are cheaper to buy (sub 100) but more expensive to run (getting old and Porsche Motorsports parts for these are high).
I recall a recent conversation about lifing of parts with a CCS mechanic and the gist of the conclusion was that there were a number of cars out there where the racers were getting nervous as they had continued to use parts well past their life date.

If someone finds that proverbial free lunch please tell me....
Old 11-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Rightyho,
I'm no style master but this is what the UO 964 needs to look better;
Chiffon white paint - will set off the gills better.
Gills a bit more subtle, maybe negative punched.
A shade of deepish Battleship grey centers on the UO wheels (but fuchs or BBS would be better).
Same colour brake calipers.
Light grey band following the recessed detail up and over the car
Clear front lenses
Full width rear reflector needs to be a body panel in body colour to work with the tail lights, currently a bit strong on its own.
Chrome is good
Smooth front bumper is good
Whale tail is good and original
Done!
Everyone is a friggin expert aye?
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I recall a recent conversation about lifing of parts with a CCS mechanic and the gist of the conclusion was that there were a number of cars out there where the racers were getting nervous as they had continued to use parts well past their life date.

If someone finds that proverbial free lunch please tell me....
It gets worse. Some are using used parts!

I think when the American Techs arrived at Giltraps & CCS the were probably appalled at the budget nature of some of our cars.

Dave those are good ideas. Personally I don't like the chrome trim but everything else you say works. I would remove the bottom lip spoiler - makes the front valence look to "heavy for me". Id add Cup type mirrors (like Sean has on his 964). I dont like the rear light treatment at all unfortunately so stumped there. Totally agree with you on negative detailing the gills.

Back in 2012 I had a momentary desire to do the gills on my car. The inspiration was Wayne Graves "RSR" at the Parade and a conversation I had with him back then. He did negative detail and it looked 100% better to me (but I think he needed one more sat and to move them forward a bit). I got cold feet about cutting sheet metal! I think however it works better on fatter RSR or 993 front fenders - 964 too skinny IMO.

I think its one of the worse extecuted features IMO. Reminds me of those ventilation grates they used to have one classroom floors on NZ schools in the 1970s!

Here is Waynes car. I took a number if photos for detail.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 03:56 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing all you automotive design school experts have had a crack at it here's my highly unqualified opinion....

Front overhang is too heavy, especially using that lower black lip that protrudes out. I'd soften the front bumper curving it up and reducing size to mimic the earlier long hood style which was more minimalistic.

Replace Orange lenses with clear or smoked ones.

Remove upper front guard vents that spoil the guard line and instead create a vent between the arch line and door hinge. Slightly flared edge with mesh relief.

Vent rear quarter window just cause it looks cool.

I'd make changes at the rear too but seeing as you all aren't paying for this design talent this is all you get for tonight. Now someone just needs to give me the $120k to make this happen
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 04:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jamie. easy - ask Max to sell your 993 for 120K and you are into this project :-)

create a vent between the arch line and door hinge

Im really liking this idea. its one of the RangeRover design cues (they use vents known as sharks gills) which i always really liked as a key automotive design cue over the last decade or so. Im just not sure it would serve any purpose. The vents over the front wheel arches is to reduce lift at speed although I dont think this will work so well with Magnus design. Waynes "gills" miss the point all together but he just smiled and told me he put them there as they looked nice so all was forgiven LOL!

But some good ideas. I reckon we can roll with this little design collective...call our selves "Bogus Stalker" designs or something...

Last edited by Macca; 11-19-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:37 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Jamie. easy - ask Max to sell your 993 for 120K and you are into this project :-)

create a vent between the arch line and door hinge

Im really liking this idea. its one of the RangeRover design cues (they use vents known as sharks gills) which i always really liked as a key automotive design cue over the last decade or so. Im just not sure it would serve any purpose. The vents over the front wheel arches is to reduce lift at speed although I dont think this will work so well with Magnus design. Waynes "gills" miss the point all together but he just smiled and told me he put them there as they looked nice so all was forgiven LOL!

But some good ideas. I reckon we can roll with this little design collective...call our selves "Bogus Stalker" designs of something...
At this rate I'd spend all the earnings on securing a 964

The vent behind the guard arch if done well would look really cool so who cares if it serves any purpose... instant 15hp right there

Bogus Stalker love it lol

I forgot to mention I'd change the wheels too. I like his design but for this car it needed a different look.

The front bumper could be styled a few ways. I guess the challenge is to not make it look like an abortion of something else. You could rsr it a bit or even 918 swage in the centre bottom. You'd have to be careful how you did it though.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I know of a certain 964 at the panel beaters still... so its not too late to apply all this Bogus Stalker design talent
Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I know of a certain 964 at the panel beaters still... so its not too late to apply all this Bogus Stalker design talent
You mean Herman? If so his look is set.

I'm keen to do another 964 project after this but am hearing noise of an Ocker picking up the cheap 964s on the market. Maybe the days of donor cars are numbered?
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 05:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looking like a show car not a go car John...
Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
You mean Herman? If so his look is set. I'm keen to do another 964 project after this but am hearing noise of an Ocker picking up the cheap 964s on the market. Maybe the days of donor cars are numbered?
What cheap 964s? Where? Only ones I've seen on TM have ended up in Chch lol!!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's a manual C4 Jake for your lady.

They are still cheap aye?

https://trademe.co.nz/984753276
Old 11-19-2015, 06:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Here's a manual C4 Jake for your lady. They are still cheap aye? https://trademe.co.nz/984753276
UK import and Cabriolet. Not for me. Jake?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What cheap 964s? Where? Only ones I've seen on TM have ended up in Chch lol!!
Trademe tipo. Noise is being made on the FB Air cooled group about the Aussie buyer.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Looking like a show car not a go car John...
Yes, going that way isn't it The fan shroud should come back from the powder coaters tomorrow. Satin Black so more understated than this example.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?