Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Garry. We know how that goes. Seems everyone wants something for nothing when you are selling a car. Frustrating. Was curious why you decided to move the old timer on after short ownership. I understand you are looking for a 964T but that's quite a different car than a 911T....

Warwick. A spring hat is needed for the rears only IRRC. I have a picture of that too from my car on file if you need it. Most jobs I have done I try and have it recorded by picture as I'm not there to see it go together. With over 100 modifications (400 parts) it's filled up the hard drive.

The front issue is a natural one for the strut. You need the spacers so the strut can rotate without hitting the bottom of the camber plate. I can't see how it could work any different with a PSS10 strut so suspect other brands would have the same issue. Remember this set up is usually used on competition cars not so much road cars but I agree the lack of information is annoying. The solution Pete used for me was to use a lock collar between the keeper spring and main spring to compress the keeper spring and allow more space for the main spring. This got us to just below RS height I believe. I have a picture of the car after the work but its wearing Z221 so not a good visual example (bigger tyre than stock). The keeper spring is simply there to keep the main spring flopping around over bumps etc at the front as I understand it. The main spring does all the work so the performance is not affected.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Garry. We know how that goes. Seems everyone wants something for nothing when you are selling a car
Same with almost any valuable asset I suspect, and one of the reasons I'm increasingly dealing off market. I keep on looking at the $55,000 C4 wondering why it hasn't sold yet. There is a lot of valuable fruit on it.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive just had a customs broker look at the cost of importing a used 964 C2 into Australia. The formula is a revelation and demonstrates why NZ cars are not going to Australia. Apart from the question of whether the car will even comply in the first place a German built vehicle will as a rule of thump cost 50% more than its invoice price by the time GST/Voit & other taxes are paid. Its a complex calculation on anything less than 30 years old it penalises used vehicles and vehicles who do not meet the 7L per 100km official fuel efficiency figures. Worse still are the additional inspection, agents, compliance, MAF and environmental inspection costs which *** a fixed 10K+ AUD (excluding any remedies needed) to the cost.

So my way of example you sell your car for 100K AUD in te nad to an Aussie buyer and the car costs them over 160K AUD on the road in Australia. Given they need 30K headroom to make the transaction worth their while and to fight of future issues of it being a "non Australian new vehicle" (this is a much bigger issue than I first thought - they have not been conditioned to imports like we have and they still behave as we did in the 1980s when Jap imports first started arriving) and you are really saying that the car needs to be 190K AUD or above market value in Australia to make it work!

Furthermore the ATO have become cleaver and if you cant demonstrate to their satisfaction what you paid on the open market in NZ for the car they will revert to the Australian "Red Book" for the tax calc - a situation which is even worse!

So a 100K AUD sale becomes 190K market equivalent.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like the pre 74 cars , and having this one has showed me that , when the T is off with a new owner ,I am happy to entertain offers , will have a go at importing an S .
I've always liked the look of the 964 Turbo , when a good car comes along , that will be nice , I hope .

Great day here today , shame it's not Saturday already .

Last edited by Garry D; 09-07-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: new
Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Food for thought Macca. Given changes to their importation laws (of which I haven't studied in depth) does it still stack up this way? Or does your calculations take this into account?
Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Food for thought Macca. Given changes to their importation laws (of which I haven't studied in depth) does it still stack up this way? Or does your calculations take this into account?
Equally, does the 30 year rule give any real benefits when cars reach that age? It's not that far off for some 964s.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
The duties have been reduced to 5% in that calc and I've been told the tables are locked and loaded for 2015 & 2016. The bulk of the levies are fixed costs and penalties. You get a reduced allowance for a car under 7L efficiency once subtracted from the declared value including freight and GST you are then taxed on the difference at 33%. There is an immediate 12k penalty for the car being used. The origin of manufacture plays a small part in the duty. It's bloody clever as they are systematically protecting various parts of their economy with this! I sent Paul the detailed analysis but there is a bit more to it that I was given. I'm at the airport but can post tommorow.

John I didn't ask about the 30 year plus costs but I will. Waiting 4 years to export a car to Australia for profit is questionable due to currency and world economics but it could work ok if you don't have anything better to invest in...

Just a heads up to all. My Aussie buyer is out on the 964 on the TM auction. He has a more viable opportunity in Australia and it has air conditioning which was important to him in QLD. My auto bid is 48911 so lol feel free to tuck in and bid for it....
Old 09-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Same with almost any valuable asset I suspect, and one of the reasons I'm increasingly dealing off market. I keep on looking at the $55,000 C4 wondering why it hasn't sold yet. There is a lot of valuable fruit on it.
It is a surprise that the C4 hasn't sold. Is it because it is a C4 or the RS mods. It comes with a lot of good upgrades and if it takes your pleasure it would be relatively easy to take back to modest stock versus say a 964 needing work.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
It is a surprise that the C4 hasn't sold. Is it because it is a C4 or the RS mods. It comes with a lot of good upgrades and if it takes your pleasure it would be relatively easy to take back to modest stock versus say a 964 needing work.
I suspect the colour combinations are putting people off. It's not a purists car as presented and he left it hanging in no mans land when he put the turbo rims on to reduce the selling price.

However, if it was $50k and a PPI gave the engine and box a clean bill of health then it would be sitting in my garage. It has most of the fruit that 964 owners dream of as mods.

As for the C4 vs C2 debate, don't get me started We will soon see where the Trademe C2 goes. I hope it's high but I suspect 200,000 km with no substantive overhaul history will put the knowledgable people off.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:01 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

As for the C4 vs C2 debate, don't get me started We will soon see where the Trademe C2 goes. I hope it's high but I suspect 200,000 km with no substantive overhaul history will put the knowledgable people off.
Its the (un)knowledgeable speculators who read Haggerty's valuations (that have little relevance in NZ) that may drive the price up. Interesting that the C4 looks to be better performing than the C2

must...stop... talking..... about car prices

Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I suspect the colour combinations are putting people off. It's not a purists car as presented and he left it hanging in no mans land when he put the turbo rims on to reduce the selling price.

However, if it was $50k and a PPI gave the engine and box a clean bill of health then it would be sitting in my garage. It has most of the fruit that 964 owners dream of as mods.

Any more of this talk and you'll leave Macca hanging out there owning it!! Leading bid and past reserve and all that.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The duties have been reduced to 5% in that calc and I've been told the tables are locked and loaded for 2015 & 2016. The bulk of the levies are fixed costs and penalties. You get a reduced allowance for a car under 7L efficiency once subtracted from the declared value including freight and GST you are then taxed on the difference at 33%. There is an immediate 12k penalty for the car being used. The origin of manufacture plays a small part in the duty. It's bloody clever as they are systematically protecting various parts of their economy with this! I sent Paul the detailed analysis but there is a bit more to it that I was given. I'm at the airport but can post tommorow.

John I didn't ask about the 30 year plus costs but I will. Waiting 4 years to export a car to Australia for profit is questionable due to currency and world economics but it could work ok if you don't have anything better to invest in...

Just a heads up to all. My Aussie buyer is out on the 964 on the TM auction. He has a more viable opportunity in Australia and it has air conditioning which was important to him in QLD. My auto bid is 48911 so lol feel free to tuck in and bid for it....
Nah, we might leave you hanging. I can't wait to see if there is a closing rush or if it is all done at $48k. Even though I'm on the aircooled bandwagon twice, I'd prefer some sanity.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I was beginning to think you were all in a pub together, having a drink and trying to out bid each other. RSG look to make up nearly all of the bidders to date!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

C2 fever
Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with John - C4's rule (in the wet...)!!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?