Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Do you have a set you aren't using for tour? If so that'd be awesome. I'm pretty sure what rims I'll use in future but there was no chance of getting them here in time. What will you be driving down and on track on? No formal plans for convoy - too many cars attracts attention. But how about 11am at BP Papakura - see who turns up and take it from there?
Tony and I leaving from the BP at 1300. We've got lights so will be ok to arrive around 8pm ish. Via Pirongia and National Park I think.

Originally Posted by Maxem
I could be on for that but on the other hand - and after confirming the readiness of the T with Steve - I might go early to go over the car and load up etc. What do you reckon? Would collecting from the builder a restored car you've never driven be about the same as rolling into Conti's and taking delivery of a new 911? I've never done either but I'm picking it could be a good day.
Can't wait to see and hear her in action. I hope Steve can shake her down plenty before you head south
Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^yes, I'm determine to take it, the NITT having been one of the delayed target dates and it would be a bit sad to miss another. The SC is lined up and won't be all bad in that but the T is the focus.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disappointed not to see the T today, away with the certifiers I hear. Sure hope they pull finger and it's ready in time.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Even tipos are on the way up $AU99k. High miler 199k km. Sold by Nick Theodossi in Melbourne. Not a very exiting pic

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...-5711663/?Cr=5

Another for Dave. SC for $AU95k

http://www.inventorysearch.com.au/vi...nual/10019076/

The 964 has sold. It turns out it was a tipo
Old 09-05-2015, 03:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Herman's box has been opened up. According to Dan it looks good for its age. The planetary gear weld has held up over 2 years of track days so looks good for the future. Maybe a few synchros and a slider to make it as good as new.
Attached Images    
Old 09-05-2015, 03:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^ Good news John
Old 09-05-2015, 05:32 AM
esonefour
Intermediate

Who's doing your gearbox John?
Mine needs a freshen up and have narrowed it down to one place (that returns emails).
Old 09-05-2015, 06:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by esonefour
Who's doing your gearbox John? Mine needs a freshen up and have narrowed it down to one place (that returns emails).
Dan @ Europacific in Pirongia. Paul had work done on the 915 in his C3 and might share who did that work.

So far the base cost for a 964 appears to be 22 hours of labour (10 to drop and refit the engine and box, then 12 for the box repair itself). Add parts to that and it's an 'investment'. Obviously it would be cheaper to work around worn synchros but I'm not interested in that. I want a car that drives as near to new as possible.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stu at Aero Automotive did all the work on the C3 - he is excellent to deal with. His hourly rate is the cheapest too, but he is a mechanic and not a dealer showroom (no lounge and coffee machine)

Dan would be good too.

Giltraps are giving me very good service with the GT3 at the moment and I see their hourly rate is reasonably competitive too.

No one has a ‘special recipe’ - just go with your gut..........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 09-05-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:02 PM
esonefour
Intermediate

Been burnt by Gearboxes R us with my Silvia, I had to remove it 3 times for them to finally get it right.
Not something I want to do with my SC, would love the road trip to Powerhaus but Aero might be more practical for me.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Progress report

Installed the engine mounts, sans one bolt. Whoever installed the last set forgot to use antiseize so it was rusted from the unused part of the threads to the top of the shank

Next up the coilovers. Well, popped out the near side rear and of course the perishables are, well..perished. Should have known they would be but as my glass is half full i didn't order the parts, optimistically thinking all would be fine

You can see the two mount parts in the middle of the pic are cracked and the orange bump stop has basically disintegrated. The bump stop isn't easily seen when the strut is installed. I have new bump stops and bellows for the front and will purchase stops to replace the rears as i think i will try to sell the struts laters. It turns out they are Koni sport and, i think, Eibach springs. Classic combo. I'm not going to have them rebuilt but i've been quoted $180 a corner by George Stock's

Its a bit of a bugger as i would have had the rears Bilsteins in today. Snapon impact gun and big ar$e breaker bar had them out in half an hour. Now i have to order the parts and wait for delivery

Props to JMc for the loan of the spring compressors. Worked fine and dandy! Thanks mate
Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Default 964 Turbo WTB

I'm looking for a 964 Turbo , if anyone has one or knows of a car that may be available please PM me

Cheers
Garry
Old 09-05-2015, 11:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Progress report

Installed the engine mounts, sans one bolt. Whoever installed the last set forgot to use antiseize so it was rusted from the unused part of the threads to the top of the shank

Next up the coilovers. Well, popped out the near side rear and of course the perishables are, well..perished. Should have known they would be but as my glass is half full i didn't order the parts, optimistically thinking all would be fine

You can see the two mount parts in the middle of the pic are cracked and the orange bump stop has basically disintegrated. The bump stop isn't easily seen when the strut is installed. I have new bump stops and bellows for the front and will purchase stops to replace the rears as i think i will try to sell the struts laters. It turns out they are Koni sport and, i think, Eibach springs. Classic combo. I'm not going to have them rebuilt but i've been quoted $180 a corner by George Stock's

Its a bit of a bugger as i would have had the rears Bilsteins in today. Snapon impact gun and big ar$e breaker bar had them out in half an hour. Now i have to order the parts and wait for delivery

Props to JMc for the loan of the spring compressors. Worked fine and dandy! Thanks mate
I'm using copper grease on everything as I expect at some stage I will have to change out something. Do it once and do it right.

No probs with the spring compressor loan. In fact I suspect that belongs to the RSG race group. I did six shocks in total on the bug eyes.

Tool buying become addictive. I'm toying with buying a PDT999 to allow home bleeding of the C4 system. It's a 13 valve job so costs to get it done properly and anecdotal evidence overseas is that shortcuts are taken at times.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2015, 04:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cross website post:

"I expect to be back up and driving in November" said JMc

^^^ you heard it here first

Welcome to the hundie club $$ - all the "while you are there's" will get you - new rubbers, window seals, door seals, rubbers to door handles, window sills, smile, bonnet badge - etc...........

You think it might be circa $10K - try $15k...............
Old 09-06-2015, 04:29 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Stu at Aero Automotive did all the work on the C3 - he is excellent to deal with. His hourly rate is the cheapest too, but he is a mechanic and not a dealer showroom (no lounge and coffee machine)

Dan would be good too.

Giltraps are giving me very good service with the GT3 at the moment and I see their hourly rate is reasonably competitive too.

No one has a ‘special recipe’ - just go with your gut..........
I would certainly add to avoid Giltraps if possible. They seem to have monkeys working on your car. Bad experience for me. Twice.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?