Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long range forecast for the NITT is looking somewhat promising. At this stage damp in the morning at Manfield then fine in the afternoon. Then fine for Taupo. Obviously we'll be keeping a good eye out as the week progresses as we decide which tyres to use.

Took a run this morning up SH16 and across to Warkworth in the damp.

Oh great. Because I haven't paid my subscription renewal I can't upload photos. I don't want to renew my subscription for a website and app that are so appallingly poor quality. I'll post photos on the rennsport gruppe page on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsgnz/
Old 09-06-2015, 05:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Cross website post: "I expect to be back up and driving in November" said JMc ^^^ you heard it here first Welcome to the hundie club $$ - all the "while you are there's" will get you - new rubbers, window seals, door seals, rubbers to door handles, window sills, smile, bonnet badge - etc........... You think it might be circa $10K - try $15k...............
I'm trying not to count. In fact I don't need to as I'm sure Macca is keeping a spreadsheet

I did my project list while on the plane today to see where the dependencies were. It will be tight but I know when and what I have to deliver. I also know what I have to order.

As for cost, yes it's mounting because I'm refreshing the wear of 25 years, but is is rebasing he car back to zero in many areas. Still think I will be in 3rd place
Old 09-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm trying not to count. In fact I don't need to as I'm sure Macca is keeping a spreadsheet I did my project list while on the plane today to see where the dependencies were. It will be tight but I know when and what I have to deliver. I also know what I have to order. As for cost, yes it's mounting because I'm refreshing the wear of 25 years, but is is rebasing he car back to zero in many areas. Still think I will be in 3rd place
I gave the spreadsheet away after 12 years when the modification parts plus labour cost exceeded 100k NZD back n early 2014 - on top of the base car! (hate to know what that would cost to do now as I averaged 80c FX for most of it). I don't advise anyone spreadsheet their project car lol! I'll be financially upside down on that car for the bulk of my natural life id imagine...but it's kept me sane and amused for 1.5 decades and I have squeezed much reliable high speed drama and adventure from her...

John, it will be a second equal soon I'm sure. But it's cheap kicks really and healthy fun ;-)
Old 09-06-2015, 05:52 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by O2GO
Long range forecast for the NITT is looking somewhat promising. At this stage damp in the morning at Manfield then fine in the afternoon. Then fine for Taupo. Obviously we'll be keeping a good eye out as the week progresses as we decide which tyres to use.

Took a run this morning up SH16 and across to Warkworth in the damp.

Oh great. Because I haven't paid my subscription renewal I can't upload photos. I don't want to renew my subscription for a website and app that are so appallingly poor quality. I'll post photos on the rennsport gruppe page on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsgnz/
Doug, i too have (consciously) let my sub's lapse. You can use the [imglink] tag to embed images. You will need to use photobucket or similar to provide a url. Its a few more steps than using attachments but i'm dissenting. Ive got a process on my phone now:

1 take piccy
2 use a resize app
3 upload to photobucket and copy url (their app makes it simples)
4 paste url between [imglink] tags
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm using copper grease on everything as I expect at some stage I will have to change out something. Do it once and do it right.

No probs with the spring compressor loan. In fact I suspect that belongs to the RSG race group. I did six shocks in total on the bug eyes.

Tool buying become addictive. I'm toying with buying a PDT999 to allow home bleeding of the C4 system. It's a 13 valve job so costs to get it done properly and anecdotal evidence overseas is that shortcuts are taken at times.
I've been using nickel anti-seez, only because i have some. Normally i would reserve for high temp applications like exhaust bolts. I remember someone (Nick?) has a "hammer lite" available to borrow on porsche964.co.nz though it would be cool to have one yourself. I've read some alternative methods for bleeding the PDAS. Frankly i'd rather have it done properly.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I would certainly add to avoid Giltraps if possible. They seem to have monkeys working on your car. Bad experience for me. Twice.
They have a new service manager and head mechanic. Jeff the mechanic is ex USA and used to work for a private team that ran Cup Cars. He seems to really know his stuff and did a nice job of dialing in my GT3.

I can't speak for the past - but the current crop have something to prove.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I gave the spreadsheet away after 12 years when the modification parts plus labour cost exceeded 100k NZD back n early 2014 - on top of the base car! (hate to know what that would cost to do now as I averaged 80c FX for most of it). I don't advise anyone spreadsheet their project car lol! I'll be financially upside down on that car for the bulk of my natural life id imagine...but it's kept me sane and amused for 1.5 decades and I have squeezed much reliable high speed drama and adventure from her...

John, it will be a second equal soon I'm sure. But it's cheap kicks really and healthy fun ;-)
^^^ Amen - can't take it with you so may as well have some fun.

Welcome to the Macca/Miller club brother JMc.

I think Chris B may be secretly in second place on many cars, the 996TT has had a lot of love and the Cayman must be hovering at over $70K and counting...... - we will never know...........
Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Anyone after a 356 resto opportunity?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3582096/?Cr=2
Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I've been using nickel anti-seez, only because i have some. Normally i would reserve for high temp applications like exhaust bolts. I remember someone (Nick?) has a "hammer lite" available to borrow on porsche964.co.nz though it would be cool to have one yourself. I've read some alternative methods for bleeding the PDAS. Frankly i'd rather have it done properly.
The hydraulic lock bleed is really the only function I need, the Scantool does the rest of the monitoring and alarm clearing. I wonder why the lock procedure is so difficult to replicate? The theory is not difficult, activate the solenoid valve to put allow pressure to go to the locks, which is what turning the switch on and off does. I'll research this over the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Warwick - the amount of time you're spending on Car Sales AU is verging on unhealthy. There's a cure on car webs

My recent experience at Giltrap has been nothing short of excellent. I expect all the workshops go through a cyclic shift when it comes to service, exaggerated by individual events and perception. I'd be hesitant to write off or align with a single option, and instead be open to change should the need arise. Unfortunately for me it was necessary, I'm just glad to have multiple options out there.

I keep a spreadsheet, but for more than just reliving financial pain. Find it helpful to have a easily accessible reference point for information on what was done when. The list is getting too large to remember everything organically!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I keep a spreddy. Keeps me on track and signals when to stop the discretional spending. It is a good way to look for innovative alternative solutions, whilst still keeping the quality up.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
It is a good way to look for innovative alternative solutions, whilst still keeping the quality up.
Dave,

I going to use this quote in a project meeting later today

P.s. are you an unemployed bum yet??

Cheers
PM
Old 09-06-2015, 05:07 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Anyone here install front and/or rear mono ball strut mounts from Rennline or similar? I need to replace the stock mounts and the Rennline are virtually the same price as the rubber OEM. How much extra NVH would there be?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Anyone here install front and/or rear mono ball strut mounts from Rennline or similar? I need to replace the stock mounts and the Rennline are virtually the same price as the rubber OEM. How much extra NVH would there be?
From my experience, it's no 1 rubber change-out but a culmination of items (track tyres, engine mounts etc.) that make the car nosier. You will hardly notice 1 item changed out (except 221's and exhaust).

Just HMO..........
Old 09-06-2015, 05:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Not sure how much the guys on here worry about NVH I find that living in Auckland with road carpet makes this a moot point with no NVH on a commute and chip seal on the open road makes such a racket anyway that I wouldn't notice more NVH there.

BTW thanks for the Youshop advice. Transmission mount on its way. Now I need to make a decision on spring plates. At USD 750 for a pair it's a big expense but apparently a big factor in cancelling out the Weissach effect on the track to keep the rear end predictable.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?