Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate - I can see you smiling without even seeing your face. What a great weekend -- next time I'll let someone else be back marker.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=887399957
Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Gonna??
Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Id be interested in that as a track hack/Targa car if I had the garage space. Infact the GT3 is homeless in a few months time. Anyone know any low cost and safe storage options for 3 months to permanent please let me know :-)
Old 05-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Gonna??
Nah mate definitely not something that would interest me. Not at this stage in life with two kiddies etc. Need something that is multi use.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
In fact the GT3 is homeless in a few months time. Anyone know any low cost and safe storage options for 3 months to permanent please let me know :-)
Macca, I tried all avenues when offshore myself and couldn't find a better option than dedicated storage garages (ended up in St John's Kings Storage in the end). The annual rental increases irked but being a business transaction they were professional on the other fronts. Other arrangements weren't long term propositions, as variously people's circumstances changed or didn't want to be held accountable for damage etc.

I don't think a cheaper viable solution works. What still does intrigue me is a dedicated car storage with facilities for WOF, servicing, cleaning etc. I just don't know how to make that work in a city where space is so expensive.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A well set up car that. Well driven too mind you but it goes and handles well.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Thesnowman
Intermediate

Old 05-12-2015, 07:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
What still does intrigue me is a dedicated car storage with facilities for WOF, servicing, cleaning etc. I just don't know how to make that work in a city where space is so expensive.
Having just swapped in fresh pads at all four corners last night on the driveway under lights, a facility like that would sometimes be handy. The driveway wins on proximity of course, but a roof wins when it's raining.

May need to follow your lead and have a garage clear out sometime I suppose. I park her inside but there's not the room to work on her there.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. The CaymanR is looking spotless at CCS today. Those dark silver 19" wheels really set it off nice. See you tomorrow!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

What still does intrigue me is a dedicated car storage with facilities for WOF, servicing, cleaning etc. I just don't know how to make that work in a city where space is so expensive.
... and a rolling road to give your car a regular work out should you not be able to give it a run. And lift and tools for DIY. And a membership by where you can have shared "ownership" of various vehicles. And a bar/lounge area to hang out. And....
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca, I tried all avenues when offshore myself and couldn't find a better option than dedicated storage garages (ended up in St John's Kings Storage in the end). The annual rental increases irked but being a business transaction they were professional on the other fronts. Other arrangements weren't long term propositions, as variously people's circumstances changed or didn't want to be held accountable for damage etc.

I don't think a cheaper viable solution works. What still does intrigue me is a dedicated car storage with facilities for WOF, servicing, cleaning etc. I just don't know how to make that work in a city where space is so expensive.
John. You are probably right. However I have paid now $39,000 to store the 993 since Ive been offshore and to start paying the same per year for yet another car isnt going to happen.

I am currently considering a commercial unit on the Shore as an alternative.

The problem is when I have looked at this over the years I have always hit the same brick wall. I cant find anyone who is valuing a large lock up space the same way as I am.

Let me put it this way. If I bought a industrial unit on the North Shore, equipped it with two car lifts and come lockable storage with an electric door, front bollards and monitored alarm for 24hr access and had 3 bays spare, what would folk on here be prepared to pay annually for such a space for their car? Assumes you can tinker around a bit and spend time on your car (but not big work which would make the car immovable for others to access their vehicles).

Im curious, however suspect that whilst there is a "need" there isnt "want" enough to justify this as a viable business. No big dramas there as im considering buying the uniot with another person who has a valuable 911 to store.

There is a further alternative. Would someone be looking to go in 1/3rds on a unit? Estimated capex 320K plus renno/upgrade/lifts (60K). Opex look like $7500 pa including power, rates and insurance, excluding monitor alarm. Max proposed storage 6-7 cars total across the investors. Location ideally North Shore. There will be space to lock up tools and track related gear (wheels etc). The unit will have a mezzanine with kitchen and toiled which will be set up as a lounge and I will take the bedroom on a long term rent back basis to use when I am in NZ with the missus (we will treat the place like home when we are around).

Worthy of debate. Been kicking it around a long time just seeing if there is any real interest out there....
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Think I've posted this before, but we should have something along these lines as the end goal: http://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/
Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jake. Like all many ideas you need population and income wealth to make it work. NY has pop = 8.4M and membership is no doubt 25-35K NZD pa. Most similar types of operations in UK, Europe, NZ & Au folded after the GFC. Interesting to see if there is appetite for it again when the economy in UK, Europe, USA picks up. Problem this time is the classics are 4-5x as expensive as they were in 2000 when the last wave of operations started up. Personally I don't seeing it working in NZ for a very long time.

So no takers yet for my garage idea? Anyone interested please PM me...
Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Almost ready for the Targa Tour. Livery on.

Handy tip for fitting windscreen banners. I kept an old banner from my old Boxster and stuck it to newspaper to stop it sticking to things. Then I cut the newspaper tidily around the edge. I then lay this old banner on tope of a new one and run a felt pen around it. Then I cut out the shape with scissors. Fitting to the windscreen by applying masking tape strips to three points on the top of the banner, spraying water plus detergent onto the screen then removing the backing paper and folding the banner onto the screen, next remove the masking tape strips and move the banner around to achieve correct fitting. Wipe with a cloth then go over with a credit card to remove liquid from under the banner.

This has proven to be much easier for me than cutting the banner in place of the screen.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?