Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hot tip there Macca. I am up to the end of the third season. That's 36 episodes and I'm ashamed to say I knocked those off in a week and a half including the slow - mo for the good bits.

Runkel gets his share, but he drives a Z3.
Occasionally watch an episode of Californication though i've really been sucked into "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacey. Its only available through the US Netflix but worth the effort. Invested in a Chromecast dongle so can just sit on my lazy butt and control my TV viewing pleasure via my phone. Sedentary bliss

I don't have Sky or Free to Air - The ads have driven me away. The end is nigh for traditional TV

Last edited by pcarplayer; 05-08-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Given time restraints Bride or Racetech would be my preference as both available off the shelf locally. The seats We have in the 993 are from Boarder in Taiwan who make seats for Bride I believe. Racetech have some good offerings and you can sit in them before you buy and have them figure out the side mounts and brackets. If you were blueskying this you would almost certainly look at Recaro as they provide seats for race Porsches and have some nice options. Something like their Pole Position would work very well for you given your height and build and although they are more expensive they will look good in the car and the Recaro brand is synominous with Porsche. Retro in Auckland are one of the agents but in not sure they carry much in stock. Side mounts and sliders are part of the equation too of course. For the Targa you won't create enough lateral G to notice much but for the track they are useful if you wish to run a harness....
Thanks Macca, I'll check out your seats next week on targa, I'm not trying to get anything before then, although that would be nice, but just wanting new seats, harnesses and HANS device (or similar) in the near future. Recaro sounds like it's worth some research too...

I understand targa isn't going to generate great lateral loads, it's now more about wearing a helmet in targa.... And I'd then prefer to be wearing a HANS device and for that you need harnesses and for those I need new seats! And it helps that my wife has said "don't skimp on the safety stuff" so permission has been granted!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 AM
Moochier
Instructor

That's another thing.... How are you guys handling communications in targa now if your wearing helmets?

I was thinking an intercom would be a good investment. Any recommendations? Are the Bluetooth motorcycle ones as good as anything? Like these http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10/

Or are the car specific ones better?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

those blue tooth coms look interesting. Must work ok if they are designed for motorcycles. Most of the Targa race guys use Stilo coms matched to stilo helmets with built in headphone in helmet and mic also built in. Pretty much same as you see on WRC. Some also use Peltor brand but they are not interchangeable so driver and co driver must use same system.

http://www.namsport.co.nz/products/h...ercoms/wrc-03/
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Moochier
That's another thing.... How are you guys handling communications in targa now if your wearing helmets?

I was thinking an intercom would be a good investment. Any recommendations? Are the Bluetooth motorcycle ones as good as anything? Like these http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10/

Or are the car specific ones better?
A bunch of us are using Bluetooth motorbike kits on the Targa Tour (at least 4 cars) which you can buy on Trademe, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=885019901.

See you next week!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
A bunch of us are using Bluetooth motorbike kits on the Targa Tour (at least 4 cars) which you can buy on Trademe, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=885019901.

See you next week!
Wow they're quite a bit cheaper than the ones I was looking at. I gather some of you have tested them and they are clear and easy to use etc...?
Old 05-08-2015, 07:05 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Wow they're quite a bit cheaper than the ones I was looking at. I gather some of you have tested them and they are clear and easy to use etc...?
The others have just bought their Bluetooth intercoms and may not yet have had a chance to test them out. I ran the previous model BT Interphone at the Ecolight Targa Sprint last year and they were loud and clear. Said to have good battery life too. They are a little fiddlier than dedicated rally comms since they also support music and phones. Probably as a result they did drop out on one stage but I just said "we've lost comms - please speak up" and it was no drama. But that was without helmets though.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes they are the ones John & I have and what the US call the "GT2RS" seat. They are the best seats Ive ever had in any of my Porsches. I shouldnt expect you to have any issue with fitment. However Ive never seen a set for sale in NZ. Suncoast sell them new around 9K USD a set and Ive heard of them sell around 6-8000 USD used a set but they have become increasingly difficult to find. IMO they are too expensive to justify retrofitting unfortunately...
GT2 seats are superb, with the advantage of folding so you can stuff in the back, unlike the GT3 seats I bought for years stateside as no buckets were available until the 918 bucket. It was great to order a Gt3 in NZ with GT3 seats, lots of cool stuff is legal here. I've be concerned about the 918 buckets in my inbound GT4, but my American pal I lunched with today loves them in his GT3, another viable alternative.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nik you are right it's a Carrera 3.2 - it's my dyslexia. Sometimes it gets caught up with my Tourette's lol!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:58 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A free NZ motorsport magazine: http://www.motorsportplus.co.nz/. Current issue has some Porsche content.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello to NZ Rennlisters! Jemaine and Bret maybe you are out there?

I am currently researching the prospect of doing Targa New Zealand as a competitor with my co-driver in 2016. We'll be coming from CA, USA.

Can anyone direct me to any friendly teams who might be interested in sharing pit / support costs and tacking us on?
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fack!

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...port?vbe=27202

Last edited by 964X33; 05-09-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:28 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Hello to NZ Rennlisters! Jemaine and Bret maybe you are out there?

I am currently researching the prospect of doing Targa New Zealand as a competitor with my co-driver in 2016. We'll be coming from CA, USA.

Can anyone direct me to any friendly teams who might be interested in sharing pit / support costs and tacking us on?
Hey Guys, drop me PM with email contact details etc. I have done the last 8 Targa NZs and am currently running a Subaru as well. I can give you a run down on things - hope you make it down here, long way to come but all the offshore guys to run here including a few from USA have ended up doing more than 1 so I guess that tells you its worth it
Old 05-09-2015, 09:00 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Link wasn't working, should do now.

A rather significant jump, but I guess They'd been undervaluing it for a while?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:08 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems a bit random when set against the '91 Turbo https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...port?vbe=86798

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?