Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015 | 07:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Disengage the front drive coupling and try it 530 bhp in 2WD first Walt. Then like Graeme says see if you would like another 200bhp on track :-)
Old 05-07-2015 | 08:27 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Nice spotting! Probably the best SC Ive seen on paper in years. NZ new, low mileage, nice spec and seemingly condition, service history and fair price (assuming you can negotiate it into the mid 50s) . Doubt that will last beyond the end of the day!
I'm in.
Not sure it can be pulled from auction now that there is a bid?
Anyone going to Hastings?
Anyone have some other info on the car?
Old 05-07-2015 | 08:37 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Dave, reserves not met yet so can "buy now". I thought a seller could withdraw from sale at any time assuming fees are paid? However it is an auction rather than a classified so could be in contravention of the T and C's
Old 05-07-2015 | 08:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm in.
Not sure it can be pulled from auction now that there is a bid?
Anyone going to Hastings?
Anyone have some other info on the car?
Nice work Dave. Definitely could benefit from some of your TLC Im sure.You will have the Red/Orange older 911 market cornered soon :-).
Old 05-07-2015 | 08:48 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Long way from home yet. You know me - I won't over pay

So I gave the gent a call and it sounds like it is all there and the price is firm. Reasonable chap and he knows what he has. A NZ new G50 is probably worth that, maybe - but as good as it is it will need another $5k to get it to a baseline - probably tyres, some trim and a service - don't know yet though.
$60k makes you stop and think though whereas low -mid $50's I'd be in the car now making my way to the bay with a bag of cash
Old 05-07-2015 | 08:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed at 60k its not a speculator. Thats probably market for a good late model example. Its a car for someone who has always wanted a good example of these and intends to keep it because as you say its a minimum of 5K to get it "acceptable" (wheels, tyres, brakes, full service, paint restoration, front lip, other interior trim etc).

You dont strike me as a collector Dave. More a "flipper" as one would say in the watch enthusiasts world (not be be confused for speculator or someone that buys to tart up and sell - flippers buy well and dont loose money just interest and always move on to another watch).
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:13 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
haha Walt you are a corrupt man. 720hp is plain scary and you say 'at least'
You're probably right but as you can see from the other considerations, the Ultima does come with a fair few other compromises, so I'd want the full beans where it mattered. Or at least I'd always think so if I just went for the 530 entry level one. Haven't driven one myself to confirm, but going off their tests and track times they handle crazy well too. Might take further work to get them really track proofed though as they seem a bit prone to overheating.

GT2RS seats? Ill call them 7.2 GT3 one piece. Im assuming you are referring to the fixed bucket seat like the one Jessica is fondling? They are fairly narrow Walt and your a fairly big unit so I wouldnt imagine they would be comfortable for long. By way of comparison the folding "GT2RS buckets" in John's R and my GT3 are wider at both the hip and the shoulder. If you find those acceptable you may find the single piece buckets too small. the new 918 style bucket is wider in base and shoulder than the 997 GT3 one piece bucket. That said the one piece 997.2 GT3 buckets arent too made across the waste and will work for anyone 38" or smaller. The shoulder however is quite narrow.
I was thinking of the Porsche folding carbon buckets such as these I think:
Name:  2011_Porsche_997_GT3RS_RSS_Roll_Bar_RSS_Suspension_SharkWerks_Round_2_43.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  132.6 KB

But actually they make more sense for my car where folding = compliance with rear seat access. Fixed buckets put you lower so are probably better for two-seaters like Chris's Cayman R.

Some discussion here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...cket-seat.html
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Agreed at 60k its not a speculator. Thats probably market for a good late model example. Its a car for someone who has always wanted a good example of these and intends to keep it because as you say its a minimum of 5K to get it "acceptable" (wheels, tyres, brakes, full service, paint restoration, front lip, other interior trim etc).

You dont strike me as a collector Dave. More a "flipper" as one would say in the watch enthusiasts world (not be be confused for speculator or someone that buys to tart up and sell - flippers buy well and dont loose money just interest and always move on to another watch).
yeah, not sure of the definition of a flipper but my motivation is never to make any money. Time better spent on other pursuits if money was the motivator. The fun is in the chase and the early love affair. This is nothing new for me and I am well on the losing side of the ledger over the years but it is a fun hobby that costs a lot to be in. At this point in time we see our P cars climbing in value so that is a positive if in and out quickly but I'd rather it was not like that. If prices go up, then lovely 3.2's like this just can't be bought on a whim anymore. They become more serious propositions.
A collector....no, never enough idle cash lying about to have garage trinkets.

As an aside, got Lightbox the other day and have become addicted to Californication. Never tuned in it when it was on but the hot tip on here was that he had a 964 so I watched the first episode. Hooked. I'm just like Hank Moody but he jumps women and I do 911's....
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes they are the ones John & I have and what the US call the "GT2RS" seat. They are the best seats Ive ever had in any of my Porsches. I shouldnt expect you to have any issue with fitment. However Ive never seen a set for sale in NZ. Suncoast sell them new around 9K USD a set and Ive heard of them sell around 6-8000 USD used a set but they have become increasingly difficult to find. IMO they are too expensive to justify retrofitting unfortunately...
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

yeah, not sure of the definition of a flipper but my motivation is never to make any money. Time better spent on other pursuits if money was the motivator. The fun is in the chase and the early love affair. This is nothing new for me and I am well on the losing side of the ledger over the years but it is a fun hobby that costs a lot to be in. At this point in time we see our P cars climbing in value so that is a positive if in and out quickly but I'd rather it was not like that. If prices go up, then lovely 3.2's like this just can't be bought on a whim anymore. They become more serious propositions.
A collector....no, never enough idle cash lying about to have garage trinkets.

As an aside, got Lightbox the other day and have become addicted to Californication. Never tuned in it when it was on but the hot tip on here was that he had a 964 so I watched the first episode. Hooked. I'm just like Hank Moody but he jumps women and I do 911's....
Yes, thats a flipper in the watch world. Fun of the chase and the novelty of something different for a little while, ideally getting out without a loss.

First three seasons of Californication are epic. After that IMO it goes downhill quickly. The tipo 964 Cabriolet is a bit of a car guys icon for the first season or two. Pauls a big fan too. Cant remember which character he associates with - I sure we all want to be Hank. Runkel is the least favourite choice I guess LOL!
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:40 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Disengage the front drive coupling and try it 530 bhp in 2WD first Walt. Then like Graeme says see if you would like another 200bhp on track :-)
Will probably need to do that anyway next upgrade as she'll start hitting the limit of what the viscous transfer coupling can handle.

Remember though that on the 996T only 5% of torque goes to the front normally, so it drives and handles like a RWD car until the rears spin up enough for the silicon coupling fluid to shear and heat up enough to start binding, at which time more starts to go forwards, up to a maximum of 40% if you keep it up long enough.

The Turbo drives nothing at all like my full time AWD Audi for instance, which usually drives like it is on rails. In the Turbo you could probably manage to swap ends before a significant proportion of the power goes north. Especially with twin turbo upgraded torque kicking in sans PSM.

Wasn't particularly thinking track back when considering the Ultima though. Over about 650 HP is pretty much counterproductive for 996Ts on track too, though the Ultima is far more capable. They put our handling stats to shame, having at one point established the following official, independently verified records for a production (albeit kitset) car equipped with road tyres and exhaust:

Fastest 0–60 mph (97 km/h) time: 2.6 seconds[4]
Fastest 0–100 mph (160 km/h) time: 5.3 seconds[4]
Fastest 30 mph (48 km/h)–70 mph (110 km/h) time: 1.8 seconds[4]
Fastest 100 mph (160 km/h)– 0 mph time: 3.6 seconds[4]
Fastest 0–100 mph (160 km/h)– 0 mph time: 9.4 seconds[4]
Best performance on a skidpad: 1.176g lateral grip in a 200 ft (60 m) circle.
Fastest road car over the 1/4 mile: 9.9 seconds @ 143 mph (230 km/h)

Some of those figures have since been nudged out by the latest computer laden hypercars but they're not too shabby at all.

And the unofficial Top Gear track lap record:

The interior looks like it was put together by two year olds out of a cardboard box but the outside's nicer and Porsche looks to have lifted their quad light treatment:

Name:  1347433651_300x300.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  76.8 KB

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-07-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:52 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Yes, thats a flipper in the watch world. Fun of the chase and the novelty of something different for a little while, ideally getting out without a loss.

First three seasons of Californication are epic. After that IMO it goes downhill quickly. The tipo 964 Cabriolet is a bit of a car guys icon for the first season or two. Pauls a big fan too. Cant remember which character he associates with - I sure we all want to be Hank. Runkel is the least favourite choice I guess LOL!
Hot tip there Macca. I am up to the end of the third season. That's 36 episodes and I'm ashamed to say I knocked those off in a week and a half including the slow - mo for the good bits.

Runkel gets his share, but he drives a Z3.
Old 05-07-2015 | 10:14 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Nice spotting! Probably the best SC Ive seen on paper in years. NZ new, low mileage, nice spec and seemingly condition, service history and fair price (assuming you can negotiate it into the mid 50s) . Doubt that will last beyond the end of the day!
Its a Carrera isnt it Mark?
Old 05-07-2015 | 10:16 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Long way from home yet. You know me - I won't over pay

So I gave the gent a call and it sounds like it is all there and the price is firm. Reasonable chap and he knows what he has. A NZ new G50 is probably worth that, maybe - but as good as it is it will need another $5k to get it to a baseline - probably tyres, some trim and a service - don't know yet though.
$60k makes you stop and think though whereas low -mid $50's I'd be in the car now making my way to the bay with a bag of cash
I know Olly, nice guy. He used to work with Dad.
My guess is the car is in Clive, not Hastings. Clive is half way between Napier and Hastings.
Old 05-07-2015 | 11:35 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default Stats - P1 vs 918 vs GTR 720

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Some of those figures have since been nudged out by the latest computer laden hypercars but they're not too shabby at all.
To put those Ultima GTR 720 stats in perspective:

Criteria P1 918 GTR720 (on older tech tyres)

0-60 2.7 2.5 2.6 seconds
0-100 5.0 5.0 5.3 seconds
30-70 1.9 1.7 1.8 seconds

Lat G 2.15 1.87 1.77 Gs (the 720 years ago on older tyres)

0-100-0 9.5 9.4 9.4 seconds

1/4 mile 9.8@152|9.8@148|9.9@143 mph

Now, I do believe that it will far easier to get reliable times out of the newer cars since a light RWD car with tons of power, only moderate aero and no electronic aids will take some finesse to launch consistently.

But I still really want to find out first hand.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?