Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Paul/Jamie, a timely mag article
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. I think you nailed it when you said that everyone is on a different journey and/or a different place on that journey.

Interest in the 2x 996TT in manual has been interesting. Weve know/said/agreed for ages now that these are excellent value and will seem under-priced in the future but yet none of us have bought one (there must be 50 active enthusiasts on this board). Why?

next year when the 6spd 996TT fetches 90K value will we say "we should have bought one in 2014 when we started talking about them and they were cheap? Why?

In 2020 when they are $140K will we wonder why we didnt buy one in 2016? Why?

The reality is if you take the price aside (we always love hindsight when it comes to an investment but we rarely value foresight which as an investor is so much more valuable) does the 996TT 6spd do it for you? Really be honest with yourself?? If the answer is yet then by 2016 you will own one and by 2020 you will have saved yourself $50K!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Regardless way too much time is spent amongst enthusiasts these days on these boards and off boards talking about car prices. Ok, car prices and Auckland house prices then! There really isnt much room of the talk we used to enjoy about modifications and personalisation, driving adventures and the like. It bores me a bit. Ive never been interested in the cars for their value, infact the opposite has typically been true. Money is to be made elsewhere on serious stuff like business or investments - cars are what you spend your hard earned on and should be the domain of pleasure and play.
LOL - agree with you Macca but IIRC it was you prepping the market for your 993 offer that really put the afterburners on such discussions here in NZ!

Absolutely loved your account of that elderly Italian matron/petrolhead BTW - priceless and says it all.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
LOL - agree with you Macca but IIRC it was you prepping the market for your 993 offer that really put the afterburners on such discussions here in NZ!

Absolutely loved your account of that elderly Italian matron/petrolhead BTW - priceless and says it all.
Ironic really Walter, it could just be coincidence I guess. My 993 was put on the market to demonstrate what a farce the market really was. The advert reached epic proportions within 72 hours and I pulled it. John followed with the second wave on the 964T and by the time he pulled that (also never sold in NZ) I think we had created a frothy market!

Its an interesting debate. But we probably need a break from it.

Ive been dreaming about another 993 project and may make a push on that next year. Engine rebuild to 3.8RS spec or full exotic 3.9L Jeff Gamroth engine? The USD is making the later a very difficult one to swallow this moment.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
I appreciate what your saying there John, on Sunday arvo I had a spare 2hrs between picking up kids, so I headed out north of riverhead in the R, finding back roads. As you say the car just feels better and better the tighter the corners get. I was starting to think of taking the RS4 on targa, as it's meant to be wet, but after my little jaunt on Sunday i quickly decided against that. Even if it's wet it will be fun to explore the R on some more open roads.
The turn in is brilliant. If you can find some real twisties you will lap it up.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:13 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul/Jamie, a timely mag article
Got the article John?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Here's a few pages. You can buy the mag on line you cheap beggar
Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this may have been covered in the past but has anyone here had some proper garage units installed? I have been scoping a few out online and in the UK and US they have some excellent options but I cannot actually find anyone who sells these dedicated garage units here in NZ?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, mucho researcho.
I have a whole house reno about to get going and this critically includes a larger external footprint to liberate some of the downstairs space for more garaging / workshop space for me. I already have a four car garage (2 on 2) but one of those spaces is workshop and it is divided down the middle with the totara posts that hold the house up. I've been looking into this for a while and planning the new layout / refit and there is some lovely stuff out there. Got some pricing a few years ago and fell over. What I like most about my current space is the character is has acquired. Nice and shiney benches and cupboards would be lovely but there is nothing like a well sorted but rustic cave. I think what I am going to do is comission a new set made from 19mm ply and clear coat that and still have open front tool cabinets above the bench. Debating stainless steel work surfaces but I quite like timber tops because they are supposed to look damaged and drilled, which inevitably they will be after a while. Persian rug, and old couch and a telly and job done. I made this lot 20 years ago out of MDF and they will be hard to let go because they have a few stories to tell.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I notice the roads are being washed for our Targa/Tour later this week. Such service!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
I believe this may have been covered in the past but has anyone here had some proper garage units installed? I have been scoping a few out online and in the UK and US they have some excellent options but I cannot actually find anyone who sells these dedicated garage units here in NZ?
John raised this a few pages ago and I said I'd respond but didn't due to lack of time. I've done plenty of research on this and in my opinion if I could do it all again would go with a custom job from a joinery company. The main reason is sourcing addition pieces if you add or change etc. I went with the Stanley Garage Storage units and they're ok but you can get better. However despite when Supercheap sold them and I asked if they would continue stocking they said yes they stopped supplying them late last year. I changed my layout around early this year to be more functional and needed an extra piece and spend the last 4 months waiting for one to pop up on Trademe. So be wary of buying units like that in the event you want more later. The selection in NZ is very limited in comparison to the USA which has so much cool cabinetry for a garage.

Another option in NZ is this company http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-883680639.htm

Mitre10 Mega also do a garage setup http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/worksh...aniser_!58084/ and other modules to suit.

A quick Google image search shows what can be done https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=st...ih=732#imgrc=_

I'd suggest a roller cabinet as well to move your tools around http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=886397185

And if you can afford to a scissor lift which also doubles as a height adjustable workbench if you fit a table top to it.

These are the cabinets that I have in my garage.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I didn't pursue a major storage solution in the end as I chose to attack the core problem, which is an accumulation of stuff I don't really use e.g. windsurfers dating back to the '90s. I also realised that putting things out of sight didn't necessarily make life easier, so I bought some wall hung clip on baskets for the more commonly used items like cleaning gear. I would love a decked out man cave with lift and air tools etc but that's for a time when I can spend more time in it.

Based on the comments from many, I'm very lucky to have space, the biggest luxury if you want to work on cars, so the garage jewellery can wait for a while.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I notice the roads are being washed for our Targa/Tour later this week. Such service!
Yes indeed. Im glad for my choice of MPSS for this Targa I think....
Old 05-11-2015, 09:39 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Based on the comments from many, I'm very lucky to have space, the biggest luxury if you want to work on cars, so the garage jewellery can wait for a while.
True. Its amazing what you can achieve with so little space. No doubt you've seen this John, but for those that haven't take a gander at Robs thread. Its extraordinary what he's performed with a single garage, no cabinets, a crappy English climate and an enormous talent

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...64-refurb.html

Last edited by pcarplayer; 05-11-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
True. Its amazing what you can achieve with so little space. No doubt you've seen this John, but for those that haven't take a gander at Robs thread. Its extraordinary whats he's performed with a single garage, no cabinets, a crappy English climate and an enormous talent

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...64-refurb.html
True, I've followed that thread for a while and taken his advice on the engine management system. Outstanding skills. I have to refer to Google a lot to understand what he's up to, like the 'wasted spark' system. That engine bay is epic considering the resources compared to Singer. I would like to declutter the engine bay but I'd prefer not to damage original parts as that gets expensive when the fashion changes and you have to go back to original to get a sale.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?