Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015 | 01:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Jake. Like all many ideas you need population and income wealth to make it work. NY has pop = 8.4M and membership is no doubt 25-35K NZD pa. Most similar types of operations in UK, Europe, NZ & Au folded after the GFC. Interesting to see if there is appetite for it again when the economy in UK, Europe, USA picks up. Problem this time is the classics are 4-5x as expensive as they were in 2000 when the last wave of operations started up. Personally I don't seeing it working in NZ for a very long time.

So no takers yet for my garage idea? Anyone interested please PM me...
Agree, you need a population of wealthy people to make it work that is unlikely to existing in NZ.

Macca, the garage idea would work fine for North Shore based people, but holds less appeal for more distant potential users like myself e.g. it's not the type of trip an Eastern Bays based owner would make regularly.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe it's a 'nice to have' that people wouldn't be prepared to pay much for which is why it hasn't been done yet?
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm good for storage thanks Macca. If I needed more I'd rip out the pool and extend the garage further... Provided of course Jan approved.

I expect there are plenty of businesses with excess storage space they'd happily sublet, the issue will be finding them. Maybe you could try using Facebook and ask people to share your post. Worth a try maybe?
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:06 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by O2GO
Almost ready for the Targa Tour. Livery on.

Handy tip for fitting windscreen banners. I kept an old banner from my old Boxster and stuck it to newspaper to stop it sticking to things. Then I cut the newspaper tidily around the edge. I then lay this old banner on tope of a new one and run a felt pen around it. Then I cut out the shape with scissors. Fitting to the windscreen by applying masking tape strips to three points on the top of the banner, spraying water plus detergent onto the screen then removing the backing paper and folding the banner onto the screen, next remove the masking tape strips and move the banner around to achieve correct fitting. Wipe with a cloth then go over with a credit card to remove liquid from under the banner.

This has proven to be much easier for me than cutting the banner in place of the screen.
Thanks Pete. Just coming to that fiddle, though my old one is stuck to the big beam in my garage so will need to make something up.

Not long now:

Name:  Targa countdown.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  56.9 KB
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks Pete. Just coming to that fiddle, though my old one is stuck to the big beam in my garage so will need to make something up.

Not long now:

Attachment 936428
Quite why they thought it would only start at 4pm is beyond me though!
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks John & Doug. I have a little plan in mind, if it comes to fruition I think you will be pleased with it although granted it will be likely on the Shore. However, I do need to find storage for the GT3 sooner rather than later so will exhaust avenues for that firstly.

Doug. Others. I simply trimmed the new banner they gave me close to the bottom and top oif the large T in "Targa", folded in half to make a crease, unpeeled using a spray bottle with water and one drop of liquid soap as I unpeeled it, laid it over the Rennsport Gruppe banner (made sure I cut it so it fits easily within that for easy removal after the event without damaging or lifting the RSG banner underneath) then laid it on, used a CC to expel the water and air and trimmed the outside edges within the original RSG banner real estate. From 5ft looks like the Targa Tour banner and underneath its the RSG one so I can pull it off half way through the tour for photographs and become the renegade RSG Tourist advertising RSG LOL!

see you all there :-)
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walter because the are the masters of (dis) organisation!
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:30 AM
Maxem
Drifting

John. You are probably right. However I have paid now $39,000 to store the 993 since Ive been offshore and to start paying the same per year for yet another car isnt going to happen.

I am currently considering a commercial unit on the Shore as an alternative.

The problem is when I have looked at this over the years I have always hit the same brick wall. I cant find anyone who is valuing a large lock up space the same way as I am.

Let me put it this way. If I bought a industrial unit on the North Shore, equipped it with two car lifts and come lockable storage with an electric door, front bollards and monitored alarm for 24hr access and had 3 bays spare, what would folk on here be prepared to pay annually for such a space for their car? Assumes you can tinker around a bit and spend time on your car (but not big work which would make the car immovable for others to access their vehicles).

Im curious, however suspect that whilst there is a "need" there isnt "want" enough to justify this as a viable business. No big dramas there as im considering buying the uniot with another person who has a valuable 911 to store.

There is a further alternative. Would someone be looking to go in 1/3rds on a unit? Estimated capex 320K plus renno/upgrade/lifts (60K). Opex look like $7500 pa including power, rates and insurance, excluding monitor alarm. Max proposed storage 6-7 cars total across the investors. Location ideally North Shore. There will be space to lock up tools and track related gear (wheels etc). The unit will have a mezzanine with kitchen and toiled which will be set up as a lounge and I will take the bedroom on a long term rent back basis to use when I am in NZ with the missus (we will treat the place like home when we are around).

Worthy of debate. Been kicking it around a long time just seeing if there is any real interest out there....
Always been pretty keen on a common space with full facilities and a place to hang but the home garage with a trolly jack and garage creeper is pretty hard to beat dollars wise
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:42 AM
CS Mende
Pro

One way or another we need an RSG clubhouse of some description! Ok, want.

If you were looking on the south end of town I could be interested, and I suspect possibly Sean? Closer to the tracks anyway!

Good luck on the Targa everyone!!
Old 05-13-2015 | 01:55 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Jake. Like all many ideas you need population and income wealth to make it work. NY has pop = 8.4M and membership is no doubt 25-35K NZD pa. Most similar types of operations in UK, Europe, NZ & Au folded after the GFC. Interesting to see if there is appetite for it again when the economy in UK, Europe, USA picks up. Problem this time is the classics are 4-5x as expensive as they were in 2000 when the last wave of operations started up. Personally I don't seeing it working in NZ for a very long time.

So no takers yet for my garage idea? Anyone interested please PM me...
Was tongue in cheek, mostly. To make it work in NZ would mean playing to the local market; think drafty old shed, complete with 40 gallon drum BBQ, Woodstock Bourban & Cola in the fridge and a fleet of early 80's V8's...

But I do like the idea of a shared work/storage space, and I'd invest if I had the need.
Old 05-13-2015 | 06:37 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Macca hope you've got some blood pressure pills handy: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11447434

Have fun and stay safe on Targa y'all.
Old 05-13-2015 | 08:38 AM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

Macca, should you need mid-term storage, I've got a fair whack of space to burn at home. I'm already renting out one car space to a bloke who's over in Sweden on contract for 9 months (Custom built Datsun 240ZG), and it's about as secure as you'll get without being a 24H guarded premises.... there's someone around every night and about half of the days, alarmed, deadbolted, gated, out of prying view etc. Situated in Mangere Bridge, decent neighbourhood etc.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BadgerNZ; 05-13-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2015 | 08:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This is painful without App!

John (Racoguy) thanks for the PM will come back to you tomorrow on that.

Had an interesting discussion with the constabulary today about 993 noise level, half cage and LVVC. Was waiting for my navigator to fly in biding time near airport and drove in past three patrol cars to retail area near Auckland Airport, past them and parked up. Switched off ignition to find a side arm wearing British import at my window telling me my car was too loud and that it wouldn't pass the 95db test. I stated the car has passed the Timaru Levels track restriction at 95db and the highlands boundary test. I stated I believed the VTNZ test was not at idle and that my exhaust was factory components (true kinda) on non cat set up (prior 1996 NZ new car). I explained the loud idle was the result of hot cams creating mild L/R timing differences and pulsing through cat less system. The officer said he had an App to measure sound but that it was not calibrated. We then moved on to half cage. I was asked if I had LVVC and stated I did not need it as Heigo half cage was factory option on 1995 993 RS. That seemed ok. In the end he said he was glad I wasn't his neighbour leaving early for work in the morning. I explained the car was for a targa and Track mostly ( bit obvious as was covered in a targa stickers). Interestingly no mention of my licence plates (LTSA versions are stashed under trunk carpet these days in case).

After the officer departed (no fine etc) I downloaded App and measured sound at idle 1m from exhaust equidistant between tailpipes and the peak average output was 94db at idle. I'm not sure how the measurement is supposed to be taken but my car is quieter at 3-4000 than at idle I believe.

Thought this may be interesting to those concerned about LVVC. Fundamentally I used all the reasoning given to me by my service advisor about why my car conforms to WOF standards. What was very clear to me was that by knowing this information and being confident in all production data relating to the 1994 993 the situation becomes on of finer legal points that can only be proven/disproven with considerable time and effort by the lawman. I think my officer decided he had more important things to do thane with a car enthusiast and for that I'm thankful for if I paid tax I would rather know it was being spend catching the guy boosting the Corolla at the other end of the car park ;-)
Old 05-13-2015 | 05:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BadgerNZ
Macca, should you need mid-term storage, I've got a fair whack of space to burn at home. I'm already renting out one car space to a bloke who's over in Sweden on contract for 9 months (Custom built Datsun 240ZG), and it's about as secure as you'll get without being a 24H guarded premises.... there's someone around every night and about half of the days, alarmed, deadbolted, gated, out of prying view etc. Situated in Mangere Bridge, decent neighbourhood etc.
Nice garage George :-)
Old 05-13-2015 | 05:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Rennlist app seems still broken on all devices making very painful for posting...
Old 05-13-2015 | 07:13 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Had an interesting discussion with the constabulary today about 993 noise level, half cage and LVVC. Switched off ignition to find a side arm wearing British import at my window telling me my car was too loud and that it wouldn't pass the 95db test.

After the officer departed (no fine etc) I downloaded App and measured sound at idle 1m from exhaust equidistant between tailpipes and the peak average output was 94db at idle. I'm not sure how the measurement is supposed to be taken but my car is quieter at 3-4000 than at idle I believe.
My sample size is small, but I too have noticed that Britain's finest are over-zealous by south Pacific standards. In 5 years with the Turbo, only they have pulled me over a few times to hassle me on minor stuff then issue 'warnings' which make it more likely you'll get a fine next time. Wouldn't be as bad if they were all valid points but one for example was a warning for driving on a median strip when it was actually just a hatched shoulder inside a bend on a one lane road - which you are allowed to use (checked the law). Suspect they'll be salivating at the prospect of those impending lower limits.

It would be a pity though if the more reasonable understanding we have here between constabulary and public went the way of the UK.

It helped your case so good on you but track noise levels at full chat 30 m away probably don't reflect the standard 50cm, 45 degrees offset at 2500 odd rpm ones that apply on road. As our cars have an exposed rear engine we have a 3dB allowance on top of the usual 95 limit though, so that's also something to tuck away.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?