Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

from Today. The shirt says it all!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Macca; 05-10-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more shots of a midnight blue aerokit... very cool,, 'The poor air-cooled 964 never stood a chance...'

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-tu...uspension.html
Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some shots of her.Attachment 935520

Last edited by Ndewar; 07-26-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  78.3 KB
Old 05-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Views: 236
Size:  79.3 KB
Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Views: 310
Size:  80.0 KBIf can afford her don't let her slip away.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
LoL you guys aren't slow round here. I emailed him a few hours ago. If you wanted a 996TT this would probably be the one. Still can't decide if I'd regret letting the 993 go.... or if a 996 GT3 would be a better suited car. The 996TT is a great all rounded... the 993 such a long term classic... hmmmm.
Anyone want to unload some old metal, give me a yell. That 87 3.2 that I was lusting after will sell at or about $58k but not to me. Good, bad or otherwise it's probably worth that to the right guy. I'll kick myself later.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:25 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Attachment 935524If can afford her don't let her slip away.
Yes, a beautiful car and barely run in at that mileage. That cliche "will not disappoint" comes to mind - plus great colour and condition.

Sat in a (silver) manual 996T myself today, but just to try the GT3 buckets that were in it. We spied a dozen or so Ferraris parked up outside a backroads cafe just north of Hamilton so stopped to check them out with kids in tow. An F430 owner spotted us and gave us a look inside plus obligingly revved her up. My 996T's Remus assisted bass isn't too embarassed by the 430 down low, but once the Fezza's revs get over about 5000 or so it's no contest as that characteristic Ferrari scream starts to build. Others there included a 308 Gt4, 308, 355, another 430 or two, a nicely bug splattered 458 Speciale, a 456 M, a 599 and one or two others that may have slipped my mind. And since every Ferrari owner needs a reliable car on the side, a 991 C2S and a manual silver 996T were also in attendance. Thanks again Greg for letting me get a feel for your buckets, and for flying the 996T flag in that company.

Congrats on the run too guys and glad all cars came through healthy, with Targa looming.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ndewar
The 966 turbo was my car that I sold to purchase my gt3. She is beautifully specced and looks much better in the flesh than in the photos. She had tech art mags when I owned her and a tech art sports exhaust that was amazing with the best sound I have heard from a turbo inside and out. No droning at all. I would repeat what was told to me when I bought it , it is the highest specced turbo that was imported to NZ and she is devastating in second gear and great on the track. I am thinking she would look good in the garage but I would be so pleased if one of the group kept her close enough for me to see her every now and again.
Nostalgia .........
Thanks Neil thats good to know. I emailed the seller yesterday. I'm still tossing up whether letting go of the 993 is something I'll regret... I'll give the guy a call today and have a chat. From my end it totally relies on my buyer coming through and I'm not assuming thats 100%.

I guess if anyone else on here is seriously interested in it then probably best we let each other know otherwise we'll just be pushing the price up on each other?

I love my 993 and I know in 10 years it will be uber rare and "cool" but even Macca's left the 993 keys on the hook for newer metal I tell you... tough keeping up with the Joneses
Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nice 996TT indeed. Great to hear some history form a previous keeper. Its a small world aye!

Car is too nice to take on Targa or the Track Chris B :-)

Jamie. The one thing the 996TT or any newer metal IMO cant replicate its the beautiful proportions and lines of the 993. Its sculpture. Looking at Pauls on the front lawn of the bach yesterday or following him up the road I was without doubt it was the best looking car in the group. Not the most aggressive but the best proportioned and most elegant. This would be the one thing that I would regret if I did not have a 993 (or something equally curvaceous to replace it with). IMO of course.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Playing Devil's advocate, having a piece of automotive sculpture in the garage is a luxury when it's not the one getting the use. Been there done that.

If there's another Dougie Northland run some day I don't see Paul or any others for that matter bringing their 'sculptures' up, as a first choice. Actually, maybe that could be a focus of a future run.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Playing Devil's advocate, having a piece of automotive sculpture in the garage is a luxury when it's not the one getting the use. Been there done that.

If there's another Dougie Northland run some day I don't see Paul or any others for that matter bringing their 'sculptures' up, as a first choice. Actually, maybe that could be a focus of a future run.
You have probably hit the nail on the head on both points. If the choice exists, the more modern gear is better suited for sustained dawn raids and long periods of touring. Think SITT (5000km touring 2 up and gear for 2 weeks plus 4-5 full track days and no need for support). If you only have one Porsche then you make it work regardless of compromise. I guess its just the logical improvement of the breed. That being said the idea of an old-timers rally raid is always appealing. They are photogenic and fun.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
You have probably hit the nail on the head on both points. If the choice exists, the more modern gear is better suited for sustained dawn raids and long periods of touring. Think SITT (5000km touring 2 up and gear for 2 weeks plus 4-5 full track days and no need for support). If you only have one Porsche then you make it work regardless of compromise. I guess its just the logical improvement of the breed. That being said the idea of an old-timers rally raid is always appealing. They are photogenic and fun.
The one thing I find interesting though is that a lot of the guys that have moved to GT3RS, new models etc... especially offshore have gone back to hot rodded old cars like the Singers, Magnus cars etc. I'm clearly not one of those guys but there is a reason why and I guess part of the attraction is the ability to ring its neck at 9/10ths on semi public roads and not go to jail. On things like the 996 X50, 991 GT3 etc you are in the "any you say can and will be..." category... and I've been there and its not nice

Interesting that the X50 owner has replied and he has 4 other vehicles and is looking for something "older". I'm not sure where this will go and in a way this week is a bit too busy to pursue but what will be will be. The 993 is a nice car to be stuck with!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jamie. Agree. Nice problem to have.

The reason I see guys with 7.2RS and likewise buying older/classic cars to "drive" has little to do with driving enjoyment and much to do with the fact these pure driving/track machines have become far too quickly "collectable" and in some markets "valuable". Its a kill joy for a driving enthusiast unless his wallet runs deep, his mentality is more carefree or he just doesn't care about all that stuff. Name a 997.2 GT3RS owner in NZ that you know of that regularly thrashes the pants off his car on road and track?? I know of 4 x 991 GT3 and a stack of 996 GT3 used in this manner almost weekly if not monthly but I know of few RS variants used on track full stop exception being Robert D and his nephew with the black/orange 997.1 GT3RS who we see occasionally on track. RS no longer stands for RennSport in my mind - at least in NZ almost none of them will see a track regularly. They are bought new mostly for weekend drives and status by their first owners these days. After that they used to go to enthusiasts but increasingly thats now collectors. Im generalising of course but you get the point - why is there not a single RS in the 55+ string RSG?

I don't buy into "its too fast for the road theory". In my opinion its BS. When we go for a back road drive whether it be Rons Sunday run, a few of us heading to Waipu or a Northland Douggie dawn raid we are always driving "fast". Whether it be 991 GT3, 993, Cayman R or Boxster RS60 I can say hand on heart non of us are waiting around. If you saw the grin on Johns face coming out of the Cayman R asfter chasing me over a 12km series of 25-55 corners yesterday you would never say "John your car is too fast, it must spoil your enjoyment". Quite the contrary. And Im happy to go on record and say infact these cars are way safer to push the envelope with. There is more room for recovering errors in the modern metal and the designs are far better for surviving an "incident". Id have to say as a lover of fast road work and the track that over the weekend there was ZERO moments I felt my car was "too fast for the road" and as a 14+ years owner of an aircooled 993 and one of the most vehement supporters of that model I cant say that there wasnt a single time I wished I was rather in the 993 on saturday or sunday...unless you count looking at the cars in the car park on driving behind Pauls 993 sexy ***....then the 993 was clearly the most gorgeous car IMO!

I think the "too fast for the road" thing is often used by those who dont own the latter metal. Each has its place without doubt and running at more sane speeds the older cars certainly make you work harder for your supper and are super involving. But speed is the drug here - to deny the attraction of whacking down the box of a modern 911 with the engine flaring to 8000+ rpm the front end gripping and the brakes hauling you down so effectively again and again is without doubt addictive. To do it with a broader breadth of capability and safety, reduced driver fatigue and error is something often overlooked.

Lastly, Id hesitate to say the reason the older cars are suddenly in vogue is "fashion". The newer cars like 996GT3 & 996TT etc have been "too fast" (if you subscribe to that theory) for 1.5 decades but the older cars have languished. Its like property in Auckland. Nothing has become better about the house down the road that was offered for 750K 5 years ago and is now 1.2 M only popularity/fashion thus demand and price. Its the same cheaply clad timber framed chicken box on 360m2 with a single garage you cant fit a Echo in that it was in 2009 only now there are four Chinese families turning up to the auction bidding it for a relative in Shanghai that wants to move some Yuan out of China "de risk" his domestic situation in a market he has been told is low risk, high capital gain with no associated taxes and a (over) strong currency!

Old 911s have become fashionable because we have suddenly believe they are wonderfully evocative (Porsche trades on this retro thing now remember!), the magazines and car forums say it must be so, we want then for status and to feel we are "true enthusiasts". Sure they are quaint, can be fun to drive when they function properly and they are (at the present time) beyond the depreciation curve but you have to be honest with yourself about why you want one of these as they come with compromises. 964 are the gateway drug into these hallowed halls because they are "affordable" a reason we see so many of them in our groups - but by virtue of their own popularity they too will eventually succumb to being "expensive" and many eventually "too valuable to drive". Hopefully now but probably so and what a shame!

Good news is you will soon beable to "3D print" your dream retro 1:1 scale 911 for looking at in teh garage for under $5000. Its only around the corner :-). Or better yet (and more likely sooner) the international classic car bubble fuelled by cheap credit and "risky blue chip investments" will crash and the prices will become affordable again for enthusiasts like they have before.

Just some thoughts at the beginning of the week to get you all jumping. It opinion of course, very personal views, but with a foot invested each camp I think its at least as valid an opinion as the next poster on this board. Not saying its right.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

After owning a 911 Turbo and then the 993 I can safely say in my own driving, my own experience, where I drive I can enjoy the 993 more on the road than the Turbo. I can leave a 50k zone and ring it out in 2nd without hitting 150km and still have a grin on my face but with the Turbo you hit warp factor 9... hello officer... in the blink of an eye. I found that driving Rob's GT2 as well. Just my own experience but the Turbo cars hit 140km+ in the blink of an eye. Agree on all the other points but I'm not out doing Sunday drives with Ron every Sunday... sorry Ron.

Originally Posted by Macca
Jamie. Agree. Nice problem to have.

The reason I see guys with 7.2RS and likewise buying older/classic cars to "drive" has little to do with driving enjoyment and much to do with the fact these pure driving/track machines have become far too quickly "collectable" and in some markets "valuable". Its a kill joy for a driving enthusiast unless his wallet runs deep, his mentality is more carefree or he just doesn't care about all that stuff. Name a 997.2 GT3RS owner in NZ that you know of that regularly thrashes the pants off his car on road and track?? I know of 4 x 991 GT3 and a stack of 996 GT3 used in this manner almost weekly if not monthly but I know of few RS variants used on track full stop exception being Robert D and his nephew with the black/orange 997.1 GT3RS who we see occasionally on track. RS no longer stands for RennSport in my mind - at least in NZ almost none of them will see a track regularly. They are bought new mostly for weekend drives and status by their first owners these days. After that they used to go to enthusiasts but increasingly thats now collectors. Im generalising of course but you get the point - why is there not a single RS in the 55+ string RSG?

I don't buy into "its too fast for the road theory". In my opinion its BS. When we go for a back road drive whether it be Rons Sunday run, a few of us heading to Waipu or a Northland Douggie dawn raid we are always driving "fast". Whether it be 991 GT3, 993, Cayman R or Boxster RS60 I can say hand on heart non of us are waiting around. If you saw the grin on Johns face coming out of the Cayman R asfter chasing me over a 12km series of 25-55 corners yesterday you would never say "John your car is too fast, it must spoil your enjoyment". Quite the contrary. And Im happy to go on record and say infact these cars are way safer to push the envelope with. There is more room for recovering errors in the modern metal and the designs are far better for surviving an "incident". Id have to say as a lover of fast road work and the track that over the weekend there was ZERO moments I felt my car was "too fast for the road" and as a 14+ years owner of an aircooled 993 and one of the most vehement supporters of that model I cant say that there wasnt a single time I wished I was rather in the 993 on saturday or sunday...unless you count looking at the cars in the car park on driving behind Pauls 993 sexy ***....then the 993 was clearly the most gorgeous car IMO!

I think the "too fast for the road" thing is often used by those who dont own the latter metal. Each has its place without doubt and running at more sane speeds the older cars certainly make you work harder for your supper and are super involving. But speed is the drug here - to deny the attraction of whacking down the box of a modern 911 with the engine flaring to 8000+ rpm the front end gripping and the brakes hauling you down so effectively again and again is without doubt addictive. To do it with a broader breadth of capability and safety, reduced driver fatigue and error is something often overlooked.

Lastly, Id hesitate to say the reason the older cars are suddenly in vogue is "fashion". The newer cars like 996GT3 & 996TT etc have been "too fast" (if you subscribe to that theory) for 1.5 decades but the older cars have languished. Its like property in Auckland. Nothing has become better about the house down the road that was offered for 750K 5 years ago and is now 1.2 M only popularity/fashion thus demand and price. Its the same cheaply clad timber framed chicken box on 360m2 with a single garage you cant fit a Echo in that it was in 2009 only now there are four Chinese families turning up to the auction bidding it for a relative in Shanghai that wants to move some Yuan out of China "de risk" his domestic situation in a market he has been told is low risk, high capital gain with no associated taxes and a (over) strong currency!

Old 911s have become fashionable because we have suddenly believe they are wonderfully evocative (Porsche trades on this retro thing now remember!), the magazines and car forums say it must be so, we want then for status and to feel we are "true enthusiasts". Sure they are quaint, can be fun to drive when they function properly and they are (at the present time) beyond the depreciation curve but you have to be honest with yourself about why you want one of these as they come with compromises. 964 are the gateway drug into these hallowed halls because they are "affordable" a reason we see so many of them in our groups - but by virtue of their own popularity they too will eventually succumb to being "expensive" and many eventually "too valuable to drive". Hopefully now but probably so and what a shame!

Good news is you will soon beable to "3D print" your dream retro 1:1 scale 911 for looking at in teh garage for under $5000. Its only around the corner :-). Or better yet (and more likely sooner) the international classic car bubble fuelled by cheap credit and "risky blue chip investments" will crash and the prices will become affordable again for enthusiasts like they have before.

Just some thoughts at the beginning of the week to get you all jumping. It opinion of course, very personal views, but with a foot invested each camp I think its at least as valid an opinion as the next poster on this board. Not saying its right.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?