Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If you saw the grin on Johns face coming out of the Cayman R after chasing me over a 12km series of 25-55 corners yesterday you would never say "John your car is too fast, it must spoil your enjoyment". Quite the contrary. And Im happy to go on record and say infact these cars are way safer to push the envelope with. There is more room for recovering errors in the modern metal and the designs are far better for surviving an "incident".
I wish I had the GoPro running on that last run. Aside from a little rear end squirm when the local bros egged me on and I planted boot out of the sharp left hander it was sublime. The perfect car to take through the twisties. It was as if Porsche had designed the car to do well in those exact driving conditions.

Have I gotten faster? Possibly, but I'd put it more down to the confidence inspired by a car that seems to be so capable. I suspect Paul in particular was working a lot harder to stay in contact over the two days.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. My in car camera ran out of SD card pulling into Helena Bay Cafe so I too missed that last run of the weekend. Good news is I have every other one on film!

Jamie. I cant comment on the turbo experience as Ive never owned one, but I can say the GT3 probably provides a similar experience, and its all about choosing when to use the power. You can loose your license in a 993 in the blink of an eye as well! The turning point for me has been discovering a group of like minded people who go out for drives regularly on unpopulated rural back roads where there are no enforcers, often on Sundays when there are no farmers and who lay it down in the most controlled circumstances you can reasonably control. The Targa Tour is another outlet although much less regular and far more costly. At the end of the day we all have to be accountable for our own actions so we make the decision at the time and hope there are no repercussions. A modern Golf GTI is more powerful today than a 90s turbo, more so even the RS4 wagons I see everywhere driven by folks with business attire these days - Id guess they would be going to work in a taxi if they were prudent with their application of power.

I'm not disagreeing more modern performance cars offer far more performance than can be legally used on the road, but I believe almost ALL sports cars probably fall into this category today as the world becomes more regulated whilst governments are allowed to legislate for the masses and fail to invest further infrastructure for the enjoyment of driving. A good chunk of this is cultural too. In Italy I took my 991 GT3 for a solo 7 hour drive from Rapallo on the Italian "Riviera" to Bobbio in the mountains. In hind sight fairly brave/mad considering winter conditions, "R" compound tyres, lack of a wrench for the CL wheels, no language skills and I forgot to take my passport for identification. I drove the pants off my GT3 when I could, the roads were wide and sweeping and clean and well surfaced as if someone who loved to drive their moto at speed on the weekend has been working on the planning and engineering committee! I was climbing the hills outside of Rapello, a series of 15-25kmph switchbacks on narrow 800 year old roads (just outside the old town) with the sports exhaust on, listening to the wail of the DFI engine at 7500+ rpm when I happened across a small village, buttoned off too late before passing an old woman, bent over from arthritis doing work in her terraced garden. She stood up as straight as she could as I passed, and I swear she was grinning, I checked in the rear vision mirror expecting her to be giving me the bird and low and behold shes waving. Bugger me I almost came off the road. The sound of the engine was probably the most colourful thing in her December day, maybe it reminded her of the MotoGuzi with straight pipes her late husband had used as daily transport in the 80s trumpeting its tune as he peeled away the corners on his way home from work! For me its was, like other experiences in Italy and even in France and poignant reminder that not everyone in this world sees the sports car driven with passion the work of the devil :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warning: non-pcar content

And we think the collector market for Porsche has gone bonkers. This ’71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible sold for $US3.5M. I swear the auctioneer is just there for noise fill. I don't understand a word he's saying. Car auctions are now becoming reality TV. None the less i found it quite exciting

http://wheelsaddicts.com/the-most-ex...sold-for-3-5m/
Old 05-10-2015, 10:03 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

She stood up as straight as she could as I passed, and I swear she was grinning, I checked in the rear vision mirror expecting her to be giving me the bird and low and behold shes waving. Bugger me I almost came off the road. The sound of the engine was probably the most colourful thing in her December day, maybe it reminded her of the MotoGuzi with straight pipes her late husband had used as daily transport in the 80s trumpeting its tune as he peeled away the corners on his way home from work! For me its was, like other experiences in Italy and even in France and poignant reminder that not everyone in this world sees the sports car driven with passion the work of the devil :-)
Like this a lot
Old 05-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Amen!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Warwick. Those Cudas have been heading like NASA for a while now. 320 million people in the wealthiest country on earth buying their own little bit of teenage nostalgia. Cant argue with that. Little bit like the GTO prices over the ditch. Cant see the same happening in Gods Own for locally assembled Vauxhall Viva or Humber Supersnipes :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

....1972 NZ new Honda Civic, low Kms no rust...just sold at Turners for $275,000 Pacific Swiss francs!
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

....Nah. Just kidding. There is no such thing as a rust free gen 1 Civic LOL!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

....Nah. Just kidding. There is no such thing as a rust free gen 1 Civic LOL!
Haha. Don't know if could site through a 10 minute video of a turners auction for a Civic. The American auction had the razzle dazzle of a boxing match, sans the Ring Girls. I tried to watch a live European RM Auction once. More my taste of Automobile, just too demure
Old 05-11-2015, 12:59 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
The American auction had the razzle dazzle of a boxing match, sans the Ring Girls.
No Ring Girls? So there's still room for the market to hot up further then. Expecting they'll show up just before the bubble bursts, as a handy 'sell' signal!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 AM
shiraz
Racer

Lapdance for bids exceeding 10% over reserve, perchance?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Looks like someone has bought Neil's old 996 Turbo, as the listing has been removed. Hope it was someone here.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:54 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nzskater
Looks like someone has bought Neil's old 996 Turbo, as the listing has been removed. Hope it was someone here.
After talking it over with some P-car friends I decided it wasn't for me. Out of courtesy I contacted the owner who to let him know. Also earlier in the day I was contacted by Alex at Conti's as he was handling any calls on behalf of the owner as he was busy. So I called Alex to basically say thanks for the email but its not me and he said they had sold it. Had a number of interested parties enquire today, one guy was test driving it and while Alex was in the passengers seat he was rung by another and said someone was test driving it and the guy said he'd pay the asking price. Out of courtesy they offered it to the guy driving and he brought it. I didn't ask who "he" was but yeah they said it was in hindsight probably priced a bit cheap. They priced it off the other 996TT on TM at the mo with PCCB's etc and went $5k lower. Said the owner probably would have taken $70k last night if I had offered it before all the interest. Moot point as I wasn't 100% on buying anyway.... think I'm probably best to move into a 996 GT3 if I can but not many good ones for sale.

Also the now old owner of the X50 has a 2010 GT3 RS and also owns Masa's old 3.6T
Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ looks like you are mentally not prepared to sell yet James??
Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ looks like you are mentally not prepared to sell yet James??
Don't think its that. It's selling for the right car. TBH without owning the 996TT I'll never know if I would have loved it or not. Regardless the decision was made for me by it being sold. As I said to Macca I'm pretty cruizy and the 993 is a nice car to be "stuck" with. Now if it was a GT3 I think I'd have no problem letter the 993 go.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?