Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Fair call John. You are braver than me/us. After 14 consecutive driving days & 6000 kms in the 993 Jo and I wouldn't repeat it again. I suspect our old girl is a bit firmer on the road than Herman, and the bucket seats felt like concrete on the way home (interestingly they were fine for the 1500kms we did on the Targa). We are old and soft now so the GT3 will be the perfect choice! Jake, I wouldn't despair. Dougie the Road Warrior is coming and if last year is anything to go by we will have many dawn raids and driving excursions built into the tour.We did a 2 day tour to WTGN via many of the old Targa roads on the way down including the Gentle Annies (awesome!), then the West-coast of the SI for 3 days before heading to QT. Days off Doug did a Milford sound return raid (7hrs driving) and we did a few goes at Crown Ranges as well as some lightening and hairy pre dawn runs to Teretonga from QT and Levels Timaru from Mt Cook. Im 100% confident that after 6000+km of the SITT you wont want to be driving much for a week or two afterwards - none of us had an appetite for a weekend drive after we got back!
I now have some newly discovered roads to unleash our appetite on from our Easter trip plus locals Spokes and Ponto to share them with.

Originally Posted by John McM
Only too happy to have company for all of part of the journey. I would like to get more creative video for this trip Video Link: http://youtu.be/oK91NY8duzA
That brings back rich memories John. I'm thinking another epic 964's trip but hitting all 4 corners of both islands aye. Crazy. East Cape to New Plymouth would be pretty cool if you were up for it. Forgotten highway, king country, Gentle Annie. Jake, would be great to have you any any others come along.

John in my last trip I took a long weekend to get to Wellington then flew home for a week. Did the opposite at the other end of the trip. With off peak air fares so cheap it worked out really well and meant we had recovery time.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ was an awesome trip, looking forward to 2016..............
Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Walt. Just did the GPS overlay onto the in car footage from the Sony camera and it's just as woefully out of sync as the iPhone app was with a delay of around 3-5s. I assume it's a sampling thing. Even a few GPS blind spots in the valleys again no doubt partially due to the speeds we were covering ground. I've come to the conclusion the speedo and the Monit we have installed (we have the hard wired version using a physical wheel sensor) is the only absolute indicator of speed at the time of driving....

Paul. Put your order in for good weather for SITT early. Will be hard pressed to beat 2016!!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
I now have some newly discovered roads to unleash our appetite on from our Easter trip plus locals Spokes and Ponto to share them with. That brings back rich memories John. I'm thinking another epic 964's trip but hitting all 4 corners of both islands aye. Crazy. East Cape to New Plymouth would be pretty cool if you were up for it. Forgotten highway, king country, Gentle Annie. Jake, would be great to have you any any others come along. John in my last trip I took a long weekend to get to Wellington then flew home for a week. Did the opposite at the other end of the trip. With off peak air fares so cheap it worked out really well and meant we had recovery time.
Doug, typical of you to take it to a new level Of course I'm up for it.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Aw shoot - I reckon once I get my Dukes of Hazzard horn installed I can clear it coming from either direction!

Originally Posted by Macca
That's the spirit Graeme! Always a sliver lining in there somewhere. Adding some improvements will make the rebuild less painful. Looked at the video a few times and looked like a fairly unlucky situation. One of the loose patches that had been recently sealed perhaps. We can across a few along the way, in one case the front wheels sledged but not the rears. Haven't had that one in 14+ years of 993 ownership. We had a stage where the rear got away a little a few times but that was largely due to tyres that needed their pressure dropping which seemed to cure the problem.

Haven driven the GT3 a number of times at Targa pace with Doug & Paul & John, I'm very aware the machine can make up much of the gap for the driver. In 2012 the lead car did not slow the group down nor did we have a 160kmph geo net so the flow was faster throughout the closed stages. The fastest tourer was a British gent (had some amateur rally background in UK) driving a factory Megaene 265? on R comps and with better pads and fluid but otherwise 100% stock. I think Ron and others with 500+ bhp were a bit surprised at his pace!

As for me personally, I think this may be my last Targa Tour. The bang for buck isn't there for me and this year disappointed a little on a number of levels.

Doug, was good to have you "back in the game" on that last stage. We had a good pace going until the white Lambo slowed down John in the 981 Boxster S ahead of us partway through the stage. We backed off after passing the BMW M3 race car that had gone down the bank with Walts splitter in the middle of the road. I always find those scenes a bit unnerving too so understand completely what you mean. The guys at the front miss all the drama mid group I reckon. In 2012 we were witness to 5 accidents, all of them 1-3 cars ahead of us. Makes it pretty real I reckon aye!

This morning we had breakfast with Mark & Glenn before heading back to Auckland. Very pleasant indeed. Always wonderful to be in the company of real car enthusiasts. We discussed the possibility of Boomrock Track for the 2016 NITT and it looks like it has cult appeal. I'm thinking half a day with an additional few hours on their skidpan and a few hours of set up laps for the drone GoPros to make a little "Magnus W" style RSG NITT/Roadtrip video we can circulate virally. I have some ideas in mind I will story board and maybe Aarjan or Sam & his mates will help with production.

Ill leave you with these shots to get your adrenaline flowing (Chris M please note ravine a few hundred meters at the end of the straight!).
Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I can stalk from behind with Jake. Sounds like fun.

Doug, typical of you to take it to a new level Of course I'm up for it.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I can stalk from behind with Jake. Sounds like fun.
Epic fun
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

North South
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

North South
No interest in seals then John?

https://nzfreed.wordpress.com/2012/0...-north-island/
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
You are right. Actually, Cape Reinga appears to take care of Northern and Western extremes for the North Island as well. It would appear that we should run down Cape Reinga, East Cape to Cape Pallliser.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep me in the loop. I can't say that I'd attempt the whole thing but I'd be up for a section of it. (I have old cars.....)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Had a Little time to spare this AM in CHCH. Called into Autothority and saw that burgundy 911L that has been for sale at quite a high price for a while undergoing a PPI, and the 993 C4S at Archibalds. That is a very nice car, if a bit pricey.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Keep me in the loop. I can't say that I'd attempt the whole thing but I'd be up for a section of it. (I have old cars.....)
It's all relative Dave the 964s are 25 years old this year. Go cars not show cars.

Doug, are we looking at a weekend to drive this, then fly back with cars to be collected later?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:19 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Macca maybe you should get some new seat cushions made up for the 993 buckets. make them thicker and use 2 types of foam. higher density on the bottom and softer density on the top. Trick is getting the right density relative to weight
Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Macca maybe you should get some new seat cushions made up for the 993 buckets. make them thicker and use 2 types of foam. higher density on the bottom and softer density on the top. Trick is getting the right density relative to weight
You are right on the button there Graeme.

I swapped the seat cushions from driver to passenger for the Bambina and it made a difference I think.

Ive done 20,000 km on the old cushions and I think they have given their best and compressed a bit now. The passenger ones have done less work. When I had the seats built I asked for the passenger cushion to be made 20mm thicker for my wife and they felt a bit better. I also asked to have a set made in leather (rather than the Alacantera ones Ive been using all this time). Those are in storage and have never been used so I may get them out and put them in when I tour again next. By the time I wear those through I suspect the seats themselves will need recovering. The driver side inner thigh leather is getting rather shiny and worn by now. I reckon they will give another 20,000 km before they need a rebuild. By then she will get paint and a image change in any case :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?