Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Is that text predictive based on recent word usage?
Mmmm. Not sure how to answer that ;-P
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know how you do it Macca. I'm a pig in clover being back in NZ. Getting back on planes to earn a crust is getting harder and harder. You only pay tax on earnings not capital gains so as long as the property trough stays full the snouts are doing very well tax free.
We need to start a Bring Back Macca facebook page............
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John, I haven't worked since Nov 2013. The income I derive from investments would be taxable in NZ. I dont agree with having every last penny in property regardless of what capital gains the market provides. the NZD has depreciated 12% in the last 6 months so I cant complain (Im mostly USD).

To be quite honest I spend 10-12 weeks a year in NZ and I capitalise those weeks so intensely that I get more in them than most do in 12 months. Car wise I do multiple events and seems to have clocked up 10-12k km pa on my 911s.

Believe me NZ seems best of all when you don't have to spend every minute there.

To be blunt I get the best from NZ, mostly visiting in summer, driving my **** off, living nicely then off travelling. I couldnt do the weather 12 months around, nor the PC thing with all the rules, regulations and the mentality, and I dont think I could live without the excitement of travel and the developing world challenges and benefits of the islands. Maybe I will feel different when Im a bit older but its one big Wilbur Smith novel for me at the moment and although Im sure in the future Ill have to find a crust again or end up being destitute I really cant see I would want it any other way. My biggest decision this week was what wether I could get away with a sarong for dinner and wether I can convince Jo away from Carmine red for GT4 back to white (my preferred choice)?

Ok, maybe Im playing it up a bit, but John, I dont "work for the man" so my travel is for fun not for work. Now if I order Carmine red I think I should go with the Matt black wheels...?
Macca - you're my hero.

I still need to have that chat with you to figure out how you do it.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
SC coming along nicely. Not much left to do. Couldn't help myself - got a set of clear lenses and full red rear lights coming. Shark fins came off without any drama's. Drives spectacularly well.
This is looking reeeaally nice Dave - shark fin removal lifts it half a point.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
This is looking reeeaally nice Dave - shark fin removal lifts it half a point.
+1 - credit to having a clear view of how you want it to look and the skills to execute. No doubt this one will turn a healthy profit when you're done.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks beautiful Dave . Well done . Macca, should have listened to you re the US$ a few months ago. Not that I have that much to invest. Will be at the classic car show tomorrow and hopefully parking up,in the paddock, after cleaning the GT3 to within an inch of ts delivery condition. She is a beaut.
See some of you there , no doubt.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Geez David. It sounds like you are setting it up for a sale? To be honest I suspect its worth every dollar of 45K once you've finished with all the fettling. You missed your calling mate!
It won't last forever in my ownership but I will hang onto it at least until the T arrives in the garage. Current worry is that the SC will be 90% of the fun of the T but for 35% the cost. The T will have to be very special - which I'm sure it will be. A red SC with Pasha trim burns deep with me as this is what had me transfixed when I was a kid. Only bettered by a red 930. Being a plain jane SC with nothing much special on it is a wonderful thing to bring out the true 911 experience.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

John, I haven't worked since Nov 2013. The income I derive from investments would be taxable in NZ. I dont agree with having every last penny in property regardless of what capital gains the market provides. the NZD has depreciated 12% in the last 6 months so I cant complain (Im mostly USD).

To be quite honest I spend 10-12 weeks a year in NZ and I capitalise those weeks so intensely that I get more in them than most do in 12 months. Car wise I do multiple events and seems to have clocked up 10-12k km pa on my 911s.

Believe me NZ seems best of all when you don't have to spend every minute there.

To be blunt I get the best from NZ, mostly visiting in summer, driving my **** off, living nicely then off travelling. I couldnt do the weather 12 months around, nor the PC thing with all the rules, regulations and the mentality, and I dont think I could live without the excitement of travel and the developing world challenges and benefits of the islands. Maybe I will feel different when Im a bit older but its one big Wilbur Smith novel for me at the moment and although Im sure in the future Ill have to find a crust again or end up being destitute I really cant see I would want it any other way. My biggest decision this week was what wether I could get away with a sarong for dinner and wether I can convince Jo away from Carmine red for GT4 back to white (my preferred choice)?

Ok, maybe Im playing it up a bit, but John, I dont "work for the man" so my travel is for fun not for work. Now if I order Carmine red I think I should go with the Matt black wheels...?
haha
...and what the dinner options tonight Macca - food and wine??
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Steve, when you pick this up, first dibs on the luggage blind
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - you're my hero. I still need to have that chat with you to figure out how you do it.
First off you need to control expenses, which is not a likely option with two young daughters. Thanks to Peter we managed to get one of ours on the way to independence, but he'll still cost for the next five years at Uni; the other one has another 10 years to go. Short of making your children wards of the State you won't be going anywhere until 2035!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Maxem
Drifting

^^ Its why Dave wont last long. As I said to him back in December, theres simply so much tio be sampled between 45-60K in the used NZ market place that if I lived in NZ again I would be cycling at least one car in the fleet on **** annual basis. Like a Vamp Dave now has a taste of it again so lock up your used cars I say....:-)
For sure. I've got an attention span problem with cars. For me the fun is in the finding and then the conversion to how I want them to be. After that, what's next? It is quite satisfying undoing evil's and putting things right provided the evils are not too deeply rooted because my talent range only extends to minor work and cleaning. The SC was a great proposition as a largely standard car but with a few things it didn't need and half a dozen minor bodges to sort out. A respray would absolutely put it near the top of the SC game but a bridge too far for me.
I think you guys have me wrong - absolutely not in this to turn a coin, just good to secure the "right" 911's as they are pretty surely not going down in value and that is the bonus during the course of ownership. I wouldn't like to think how many 911's could have been had for the depreciation I've lost on 15 continuous years of 7 BMW's so a minor win every now and then eases the pain. The smart guys are the ones who got into manual 964's when they were late thirties just two years ago.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My biggest decision this week was what wether I could get away with a sarong for dinner and wether I can convince Jo away from Carmine red for GT4 back to white (my preferred choice)? Ok, maybe Im playing it up a bit, but John, I dont "work for the man" so my travel is for fun not for work. Now if I order Carmine red I think I should go with the Matt black wheels...?
Did the sarong match the loafers? Next step is a pony tail.

White is the fastest colour. I wonder how many are going to make it to NZ? If I didn't have the R I would be very tempted, but the performance differential at my driving level doesn't warrant another $65k plus in a similar car.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Pre concourse meeting at St Heliers? Maybe just lots of shiny cars. Stuart's 993 Targa was there but not sure who he is so could say hi. Jake and his friend Matt there as well.

Interesting that the more cars you see the less special each one seems. Like a miss universe contest. They all look beautiful.
I went for a look but was a bit late. Missed all the Porsches except what looked to be that bargain white 930 cab from Nelson (if it was in fact the one but the plate looked familiar and it was an 89 G50).

That hybrid i8 Bmw was quite nice.

Can any of you techies tell me why photo's emailed to one's self from apple device to apple device come out with those lines on it?
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Short of making your children wards of the State you won't be going anywhere until 2035!
Thanks for cheering me up John............

I'm 40 this year and keep saying to Jen at 50 I want to sell everything up and live the 'good life' in Tauranga, where you don't need $2M to own a house that needs a $500K reno to actually feel and look like a $2M house.........

But the girl's being under 5, I think my 10 yr plan will be a 20yr plan.........

P.s. - how do you control your expenses when you take a Pcar to the track?? JMc - would be interested on your views here......??
Old 02-07-2015, 12:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
The smart guys are the ones who got into manual 964's when they were late thirties just two years ago.
964's have only picked up $10K and you would probably spend that in maintenance over 2 years.

The smart ones brought 3.6T's, 993 RS's, 964 RS's, 996 RS's or 2.7 RS's. These guys have made a hundie.

The even smarter one's brought free standing houses in the eastern suburb's as the capital gain would fund all the cars above (except the 2.7 RS)..........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?