Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:05 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
My wife expressed an interest in one of the new V8 Cayenne diesels on Sunday. We got the demo from CCS sent down and I've just been for a spin in it. Very very impressive to say the least.

My wife's current car is a V8 diesel Q7 (2013) and we though that was good, put the cayenne blows the doors off it!!

If anyone is after a performance SUV it would be hard to him past that new cayenne in V8 trim.

Now - let's see if the wife wants to keep it!

Also - is anyone on here putting their hand up for a 991 GT3 RS?? If so what color are you looking at? I've tentatively ordered one in Viper Green (PTS) - just to be a bit different.
That's gonna be a great looker. Black wheels? I will have to come over and visit, peek in the garage next time I am up visiting family.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:16 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Possibly zero toe. I'm hoping you will blaze the trail here
Toe is really the secret sauce part of the geo. Different from car to car too - I mean more sensitive on rear engine and older cars than modern.
So set up target is going to be a function of car as well and what you like.

I find the real race teams are very quiet on this if they are talking older car set up whereas info much easier to get for modern cars. and the two should not be treated as comparable.

Now that I have been to Sweden and know them better I may try (again) to get info from them - bit hard before....but I know they were testing a lot of different theories with former WRC engineers.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:20 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

... Also - is anyone on here putting their hand up for a 991 GT3 RS?? If so what color are you looking at? I've tentatively ordered one in Viper Green (PTS) - just to be a bit different.
I've put my hand up, no one has taken the opportunity to buy me one yet

If you're ever stuck deciding which of your fleet to take out for a weekend run let us know, I'm sure a few of us can fly down and help take them all out at once!

Great colour choice. Interested to see how the RS feels on NZ roads (assuming it's not just for track duties).
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

My wife expressed an interest in one of the new V8 Cayenne diesels on Sunday. We got the demo from CCS sent down and I've just been for a spin in it. Very very impressive to say the least. My wife's current car is a V8 diesel Q7 (2013) and we though that was good, put the cayenne blows the doors off it!! If anyone is after a performance SUV it would be hard to him past that new cayenne in V8 trim. Now - let's see if the wife wants to keep it! Also - is anyone on here putting their hand up for a 991 GT3 RS?? If so what color are you looking at? I've tentatively ordered one in Viper Green (PTS) - just to be a bit different.
We're at the longer tooth end of the Cayenne market but if they've moved on appreciably from their efforts in 2005 then it must be an incredible wagon.

We have done close to 5,000km in less than 3 months in our 2005 S and it has proven to be exactly what we wanted: effortless long distance transport in absolute comfort, even when towing a 2k cup car. We don't use it for around town driving much, where its bulk and petrol consumption count against it but that expected from the outset.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
Toe is really the secret sauce part of the geo. Different from car to car too - I mean more sensitive on rear engine and older cars than modern.
So set up target is going to be a function of car as well and what you like.

I find the real race teams are very quiet on this if they are talking older car set up whereas info much easier to get for modern cars. and the two should not be treated as comparable.

Now that I have been to Sweden and know them better I may try (again) to get info from them - bit hard before....but I know they were testing a lot of different theories with former WRC engineers.
one more thing, I think its also about the relative difference between F/R settings eg front could be 0-2ml out vs rear 1-3.5or even 4 IN.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Toe is really the secret sauce part of the geo.

Yeah I've found it hard to find any specific alignment info for either my RS4 or Cayman. Everyone keeps it quite close to their chest.

There is a lot of general theory stuff out there like this good article, worth a read http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html but not really any real life specific data, well from anyone you'd really trust anyway.

I like the statement in the link 'The best way to determine the proper camber for competition is to measure the temperature profile across the tire tread immediately after completing some hot laps.'

But then to know what to adjust if you weren't getting the right heat profile, toe or camber is still a mystery...
I guess it's why there's little info out there... Because the people that 'get it' become desirable/valuable.

For some strange reason I do find alignment theory interesting...
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by nzskater
I've put my hand up, no one has taken the opportunity to buy me one yet

If you're ever stuck deciding which of your fleet to take out for a weekend run let us know, I'm sure a few of us can fly down and help take them all out at once!

Great colour choice. Interested to see how the RS feels on NZ roads (assuming it's not just for track duties).
Def black wheels - and a green cage.

My P1 and CGT will be on display next weekend at Turners In Penrose along with a F40, F50, Enzo and Ferrai Daytona if anyone is interested in seeing a few cars.

Should be quite a cool collection to have together and a good opportunity to purchase a new car at Turners :-)
Old 03-11-2015, 08:05 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moochier
Yeah I've found it hard to find any specific alignment info for either my RS4 or Cayman. Everyone keeps it quite close to their chest.

There is a lot of general theory stuff out there like this good article, worth a read http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html but not really any real life specific data, well from anyone you'd really trust anyway.

I like the statement in the link 'The best way to determine the proper camber for competition is to measure the temperature profile across the tire tread immediately after completing some hot laps.'

But then to know what to adjust if you weren't getting the right heat profile, toe or camber is still a mystery...
I guess it's why there's little info out there... Because the people that 'get it' become desirable/valuable.

For some strange reason I do find alignment theory interesting...
depending on whether you have adjustable bars or not it will be iterative as all things one change impacts the other things. get a baseline geo then play wit bars - I found last outing at Taupo just a rear bar adjustment made a big difference. then once that's is ok try little adjustments to geo - camber first based on temps across the tyre then toe - more rear toe in to get better turn in
Old 03-11-2015, 10:31 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Def black wheels - and a green cage.

My P1 and CGT will be on display next weekend at Turners In Penrose along with a F40, F50, Enzo and Ferrai Daytona if anyone is interested in seeing a few cars.

Should be quite a cool collection to have together and a good opportunity to purchase a new car at Turners :-)
Matt, can you tell us more. Why are Turners having the display - do they have a classic car auction coming up?

P.s. Is you mate driving the F40 up on his 'work license-?? - ha ha hee hee.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Matt, can you tell us more. Why are Turners having the display - do they have a classic car auction coming up?

P.s. Is you mate driving the F40 up on his 'work license-?? - ha ha hee hee.
Charity auction here lads

http://www.trademe.co.nz/travel-events-activities/activities/auction-858268784.htm

Check the TNR website for more info.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Another 964 is closer to going back on the road, scraping off old underseal tomorow to prepare the battery plate to go back in.
The old sealer is horrible, bit like chewing gum and a real pain to get off.
A sharp chisel seems to work best but not much fun, sure glad I bought a nice hoist to work on
Once it is back from the chassis measure I'll have to take the ABS pump out to be able to get at every nook to seal and paint the area.
I'll also take a look at the front suspension tomorow as one wheel is further back than the other but I know the chassis is straight as i've already measured that which is spot on front to back and X ways.
Will have to take a look at the front arms and uprights to see what is going on.

Away in OZ for a week so ideal time to pass on to body shop for measure and priming of repaired areas, the owner will probably roll it in primer for a few months as he's pretty keen to drive it and then we'll do a glass out respray in winter.
Attached Images   
Old 03-12-2015, 01:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Another 964 is closer to going back on the road, scraping off old underseal tomorow to prepare the battery plate to go back in. The old sealer is horrible, bit like chewing gum and a real pain to get off. A sharp chisel seems to work best but not much fun, sure glad I bought a nice hoist to work on Once it is back from the chassis measure I'll have to take the ABS pump out to be able to get at every nook to seal and paint the area. I'll also take a look at the front suspension tomorow as one wheel is further back than the other but I know the chassis is straight as i've already measured that which is spot on front to back and X ways. Will have to take a look at the front arms and uprights to see what is going on. Away in OZ for a week so ideal time to pass on to body shop for measure and priming of repaired areas, the owner will probably roll it in primer for a few months as he's pretty keen to drive it and then we'll do a glass out respray in winter.
Nice work John. Not sure about defiling a 964 by running around in primer but it should be solid and is certainly back on the road quickly.

Is the owner interested in the track?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

The owner also has a 240Z he's restoring with an RB26DET, have kind of talked him in to building that a bit more track focused.
I think the 964 will just become a family toy to enjoy, makes sense really to do full respray as too many panels require touch ups once repaired and as with any old car paint becomes a bit of a let down.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
The owner also has a 240Z he's restoring with an RB26DET, have kind of talked him in to building that a bit more track focused. I think the 964 will just become a family toy to enjoy, makes sense really to do full respray as too many panels require touch ups once repaired and as with any old car paint becomes a bit of a let down.
What do you expect the respray to cost?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:13 AM
shiraz
Racer

have a look at a 904 - bit above my income level tho.

http://www.symbolicintl.com/1965-por...rrera-gts.html

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?