Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 02:52 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who ended up purchasing the white 997.1 GT3 CS? I see it is no longer on TM.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:21 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
The R sat unsold for more than 3 months. Either I overpaid or the other buyers couldn't be pfaffed doing a few km to check out a car. It's in near new condition and is 15% below the landed cost for a UK import. I'm still waiting for the catch. Maybe it's not that fast at the track? We will find out soon enough. In the mean time eyes off.
Its all about timing. All you've done is bring the object of desire a bit closer.

Although its funny to see the speculation on PH elsewhere on RL that the GT4 means an imminent collapse in prices of 996/997 GT3s and the R. Apparently the Spyder is spared... oh well, never mind.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:24 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
Pre concourse meeting at St Heliers? Maybe just lots of shiny cars. Stuart's 993 Targa was there but not sure who he is so could say hi. Jake and his friend Matt there as well.

Interesting that the more cars you see the less special each one seems. Like a miss universe contest. They all look beautiful.
Yep I was there! Had pretty much the same conundrum! I saw the Porsche's but I didn't see anyone I had seen on photos here next to them so I couldn't say hello. I wasn't actually driving the Porsche today but one of our other cars so if you had said hello to the gentleman driving it he probably would have been pretty confused!
Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Its all about timing. All you've done is bring the object of desire a bit closer. Although its funny to see the speculation on PH elsewhere on RL that the GT4 means an imminent collapse in prices of 996/997 GT3s and the R. Apparently the Spyder is spared... oh well, never mind.
I suspect there's a realignment due, albeit 911 Virgin have taken deposits on the £60,000 Mk 1 GT3 and £44,000 Spyder. If prices do go down I could possibly have to make the R another long term keeper as others have decided e.g.

OK - I've made my decision and my god it was a tough one but I'm going to mod the R. I've given up my no.1 slot at OPC for the GT4.

I know the GT4 will be an awesome car but I just can't justify the swap. Also, I'll be able to do more track days and I think the R with a few mods would be utterly epic and finally it allows us to be a 3 car household, which is very appealing. And Mrs will allow me to get a 991 GTS (funds depending, so that should ease the pain bit!)

I've done a fair amount of research, know the cost of all the mods I want done and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. I also can't escape the fact that the CR's spec is exactly what I want in a car. And I think the GT4's engine choice was a bit of a let-down.

So watch this space in March and I'll keep you all updated on what I've had done and my view of how it's impacted the drive of the CR. I'll be keeping all original parts, so if there's anything I don't like, I can revert to std.

The next few months/years should be a lot of fun!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I think they must be foxing.

A 991 Carrera 2S time is 7.37 and approx 3 sec quicker than the 7.40 nominated for the GT4.

A Carrera 2S is slightly heavier at 1,340kg's over a stock GT4 at approx 1,340kg, but the GT4 is more dialed in for track with GT3 suspension and brakes??

Doesn't add up to me.
Sandbagging I think you mean.

Timeo set that 991 S lap record long after the launch of the car in a PDK equipped car with sport chassis. He is also recognised amongst the test driver team at PAG as being the fastest most consistent Ring driver.

Interestingly the number Porsche advertise when a product is launched is often chosen by the marketing team from a range of times achieved by 2-3 factory drivers. It is supposed to be the most representative time however my cynical view is its chosen specifically to address the "needs" of the marketing boys.

My gut feel is the GT4 will come in around the time of the 991S Timeo drove, possibly even 1-2s faster. It has virtually identical power to weight, the PDK advantage will be offset by the increased GT4 aero and the GT4 has the benefit of MPSC2 which the 991S didnt have. I expect the 991 GT3RS to come in around 7.15s. Thats a nice split for the marketing boys GT4 = 7.35, GT3 = 7.25 an RS = 7.15 (not far of GTR Nissmo track edition).

Around a short track like HD I think the difference between the GT4/GT3/RS would be less than a second each car driven by same driver. So that would put the 991 GT3RS at 1.08 in stock trim at HD then LOL!

Exciting times ahead. One thing is for sure at least in USA, UK & Euro markets. If you are after a MT GT car in the next few years the GT4 will be a very compelling option at around 100K NZD equivalent in the overseas markets moving forward. I expect EVO and other mags will be talking the car up pretty strong after giving Porsche grief for PDK only in the GT3 & RS (and good on them too for standing up for the MT). Now they have been given it, it will have to live up to the promise I guess...

Carmine Red + Matt black wheels + matt black rear spoiler struts + black mirror details & black PDLS headlights....slide below carmine (darker) vs Guards red.
Attached Images    
Old 02-07-2015, 03:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I recall AP telling the reporter that they would have to wait until the Ring opened in April to see what the GT4 could do, but weren't some spy pics at the Ring?

The R times at the Ring appear to be much slower. I'm still wondering what times a good driver could do at HD in the R as is on road tyres.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, the Cayman board is saying "Production will be 600 US cars with about 200 going to the 918 owners. .......... From a really good source"

How many RHD cars are likely to be sold and how will you get on the list? Is that limited production all marketing hype to keep demand up or will they sell as many as the market wants? Also what happened to the club sport options?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They were spotted at the Ring as late as November testing but he said due to winter they hadn't been able to set a final time after finishing development. He said they were closing in on 7.40 and May even get to go under. They won't tell us until they announce the RS at Geneva - and likely not till May when they get back to the ring as the did with the GT3.

The Cayman R should be good for 1.17 at the very least IMO on the MPSS tyres I think you are using. That's probably in the mid 15s on a R comp. Pete would be better placed to tell.

I'm submitting a few GT4 orders to Europe this coming week for allocation and price approval. Cars need to be ordered asap with 20% deposit to secure RHD allocation. Delivery will be Europe June/July 2016 to coincide with RSG Europe. I'm not sure it will be possible to get many allocations and I'm not sure yet what the NZ price is as I have asked but NZ haven't decided their price yet. Happy to take the business locally but if the difference remains significant...if anyone serious here please PM me.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

My contact says they will make as many as GT3 (2500-3000) and that it will be restricted only by production time which means initial orders will be constrained but like GT3 in LHF markets everyone who wants one will get one. Unfortunately UK may get constrained again like Gt3 so RHD market will be more difficult than LHD. My GT3 is worth more in the UK used than the NZ new base list price so long term there is little risk you'll get stuck with a depreciation curve too deep - the UK and the rising pound May see to that unless the bubble bursts or the dynamics get turned upside down...,
Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca that carmine red with black wheels configuration is bloody gorgeous. Pete, what do you reckon mate? Is your Cayman guards red or another variant.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I couldn't agree more
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Was Jos choice actually. Neither of us are guards red fans unfortunately or else could have saved a further 4500 NZD! Still trying to convince her on white which is standard LOL! Actually what made me decide in the darker blood red was your car Jamie. Its the old Indian Red which is darker than the current version commonly known as guards. It looked good in that colour against the black wheels i thought. The digital pictures from the configurator are not very representative, look better in the pictures but teh car is still overall too high for me and the stance wrong so would look to have it lowered by 15mm (factory shocks should have height adjustment) before I land it...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:29 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca it will be too quiet for you too! Heh
Old 02-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Macca it will be too quiet for you too! Heh
You are dead right of course. It comes standard with sports exhaust and those who have started the car (Jethro from EVO and some guy form Autocar) do proclaim its very loud but Its never going to sound like the 991 GT3 or even my 993....Perhaps I might have a Akropovic centre bypass exhaust fitted whilst in Europe as I have a mate well connected there. By the time delivery comes Im sure Sharkworks and others will have cheaper bypass pipes I can purchase and have sent over to Europe...
Old 02-07-2015, 06:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, family event on so limited time to post. I'll PM you re GT4 to see what options etc are and costs.

While we think of that, Richard sent me this of his garage set up awaiting a certain Turbo 3.6. The last pic is my garage memorial
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?