Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Thanks for cheering me up John............

I'm 40 this year and keep saying to Jen at 50 I want to sell everything up and live the 'good life' in Tauranga, where you don't need to $2M to own a house that needs a $500K reno to actually feel and look like a $2M house.........

But the girl's being under 5, I think my 10 yr plan will be a 20yr plan.........

P.s. - how do you control your expenses when you take a Pcar to the track??
My plans exactly Paul. See you there. We will be the Kings of Matua!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks for cheering me up John............ I'm 40 this year and keep saying to Jen at 50 I want to sell everything up and live the 'good life' in Tauranga, where you don't need to $2M to own a house that needs a $500K reno to actually feel and look like a $2M house......... But the girl's being under 5, I think my 10 yr plan will be a 20yr plan......... P.s. - how do you control your expenses when you take a Pcar to the track??
First trick appears to be buying a car that is fast out of the box as mods cost a lot. Second trick is buying a car with new consumables and selling before they are used up. Third trick is selling just before all of the track use related maintenance is due. Fourth trick is buying something that appreciates. In the last two years that would make the GT3 the car to have. Then Porsche brings out the GT4 and it all goes out the window.

Right now, I'm thinking the R is the smartest place for me to be with the track in mind. 3 years old, 28,000km, near new consumables and PDK.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
My plans exactly Paul. See you there. We will be the Kings of Matua!
Mate - $1.2M buys you a beach front house in Matua.

For $750K you can drive 300m to the same beach.......(in the new BMW and GT3 that you brought with the savings)...........

Looking forward to it mate - we can hang out in the cafes under the twin towers very day and do some 'bird watching'.........
Old 02-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Mate - $1.2M buys you a beach front house in Matua.

For $750K you can drive 300m to the same beach.......(in the new BMW and GT3 that you brought with the savings)...........

Looking forward to it mate - we can hang out in the cafes under the twin towers very day and do some 'bird watching'.........
The twin towers are 20 steps from my original place of residence. It was a bit different back then though.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
First trick appears to be buying a car that is fast out of the box as mods cost a lot. Second trick is buying a car with new consumables and selling before they are used up. Third trick is selling just before all of the track use related maintenance is due. Fourth trick is buying something that appreciates. In the last two years that would make the GT3 the car to have. Then Porsche brings out the GT4 and it all goes out the window.

Right now, I'm thinking the R is the smartest place for me to be with the track in mind. 3 years old, 28,000km, near new consumables and PDK.
Yes - I'm starting to agree.

GT4 is probably going to savage used GT3 values.

The GT3 investment theory is going to get a heavy testing over the next 2-3 years as used GT4's become the same value or cheaper.

The only thing that will stuff this is if Porsche control GT4 numbers, but it doesn't look like it??

I actually see a problem with used GT4 values in 3-5 years time and that is the cost of consumables - you are buying GT3 parts, so spending $10K p/a on pads, disks and tires for moderate use is going to add up for those with budgets.

You could do tires, pads and disks for $3K on the C3. The 993 is about $4.5K.

Macca - you can probably chime in on my $10K guess - the point is it's not going to be cheap to run them.......
Old 02-07-2015, 01:47 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

First off you need to control expenses, which is not a likely option with two young daughters. Thanks to Peter we managed to get one of ours on the way to independence, but he'll still cost for the next five years at Uni; the other one has another 10 years to go. Short of making your children wards of the State you won't be going anywhere until 2035!
I can give you some encouragement Paul. Make that 2030. They aren't both under 5 right? I have 3 and all off the payroll now and it feels real good.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:01 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess on gt4 is that with a 7.40 ring time using less hp than the 435 of a 997.2 gt3 is that it may be relatively faster on smaller tracks with less straights. ie. same time but 50hp less.

that is unless they are foxing with the official HP figures and its really more just not quoting it to keep a decent distance back from other models
Old 02-07-2015, 02:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
I can give you some encouragement Paul. Make that 2030. They aren't both under 5 right? I have 3 and all off the payroll now and it feels real good.
The 993 will still be 35 years old and you will be working to fund its 2nd glass out respray and my super payments. In fact as I had the smarts to be a toy boy I could have been sucking on the public teat for 3 years by then. We'll be at the yearly picnic talking dribble about the RSG years and the water pumpers will definitely win the tug of war.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Johns got it right with his three tricks. There is a fourth - buy a GT3 or GT4 private import and save some depreciation up front and have a Euro holiday from it?

The Cayman R is the perfect car to use hard on the track next 18 months John. Your expenses should be very reasonable. If you plan ahead you should put a deposit down on a GT4 for delivery next September like some others and look to move the R on in around 15-16 months time - by then you will have had the best of the "new/nearly new" calculation as per your three tricks philosophy. The car will save you a year or maybe two depreciation and give you more cheap motoring (consumables).

Paul. I calculated if you do 10 full track days a year and 6-8000km road km you will need to spend 10K every 18 months on tyres/pads/discs/fluid and labour to replace the consumables for the GT4. many variables at play here so that's a ball park. The GT3 is fractionally more due to weight and speed.

The secret is indeed to be child free. But also to have a different philosophy on assets like property. Property is a god way to build wealth and what little we have was built mostly through property. However it means debt and debt marries you often to income and work. Once you deal with debt and have net freeflow cash you can enjoy a work free lifestyle as long as you alter your expectations on life. Big houses dont feature. Lots of toys dont work so well. need to keep it simple.

Dave we know you are only playing Hobby LMVD mate. Its great to see you enjoying it - I guess the wait for the Orange car has driven you to it :-). Im envious. Theres s much fun to be had out there in the used market. I dont know how you guys have the time to actually work LOL!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 993 will still be 35 years old and you will be working to fund its 2nd glass out respray and my super payments. In fact as I had the smarts to be a toy boy I could have been sucking on the public teat for 3 years by then. We'll be at the yearly picnic talking dribble about the RSG years and the water pumpers will definitely win the tug of war.
Had me in stitches

Buenos Noches Amigos!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
that is unless they are foxing with the official HP figures and its really more just not quoting it to keep a decent distance back from other models
I think they must be foxing.

A 991 Carrera 2S time is 7.37 and approx 3 sec quicker than the 7.40 nominated for the GT4.

A Carrera 2S is slightly heavier at 1,340kg's over a stock GT4 at approx 1,340kg, but the GT4 is more dialed in for track with GT3 suspension and brakes??

Doesn't add up to me.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yeah - I'm a toy-boy too........

But don't get too cockie - Labour will eventually get in, and when they do they will raise the retirement age........

P.s - given how long it takes to paint a car, I might have only just got it back by then? the race is on between Dave and I??
Old 02-07-2015, 02:31 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The Cayman R is the perfect car to use hard on the track next 18 months John. Your expenses should be very reasonable. If you plan ahead you should put a deposit down on a GT4 for delivery next September like some others and look to move the R on in around 15-16 months time - by then you will have had the best of the "new/nearly new" calculation as per your three tricks philosophy. The car will save you a year or maybe two depreciation and give you more cheap motoring (consumables).
John, that's an excellent idea... you should definitely plan to do that...
Old 02-07-2015, 02:32 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

John, that's an excellent idea... you should definitely plan to do that...
Reckon you might know a buyer for the 'R' Pete??
Old 02-07-2015, 02:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Reckon you might know a buyer for the 'R' Pete??
The R sat unsold for more than 3 months. Either I overpaid or the other buyers couldn't be pfaffed doing a few km to check out a car. It's in near new condition and is 15% below the landed cost for a UK import. I'm still waiting for the catch. Maybe it's not that fast at the track? We will find out soon enough. In the mean time eyes off.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?