Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

C2 on trademe went to a Wellington buyer for $32,500.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
C2 on trademe went to a Wellington buyer for $32,500.
Which car was this??
Old 12-19-2013, 04:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Which car was this??
The 1991 C2 ex HK on Trademe.. 105,000 km but looked a bit rough.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

The 1991 C2 ex HK on Trademe.. 105,000 km but looked a bit rough.
Would have been a good car for Chris's project??

Who did you know this? I thought the starting bid was $37K
Old 12-19-2013, 04:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John, I did alot of work on this when I tuned my engine. Luckily I could drive around with a laptop plugged in and record the trace as I have a much more flexible ECU than those used in the 993/996 gen cars. I can tell you from experience that heat soak (car idling static) can send IAT up to 20-25 above ambient. The hottest I ever managed to get my engine was 48C with the cone filter in summer static test. Its nothing much to do with the outside temp but lack of airflow over the heads. You have to remember your oil temps will be running 120 warm and maybe higher on the track (130?). That head goes into the block. When running the car if you are getting correct and optimal airflow over the heads, airbox and intake manifold your IAT on the run should be dropping back to ideally around 2-7 degrees above ambient dependent on how hard you are pushing the car and speed attained. On the track I would expect to see ambient + 4-5 in my car. Guys on the 993 board have done alot of testing and the factory electric rear spoiler is definitely the best for ventilation (not for downforce tho). The factory spent alot of money testing it. With the ductail there is a really real possibility it does not allow adequate ventilation for track work. The airflow may be backing up in the recess between the tail blade and the grill and creating a pocket of negative pressure preventing any air really passing through the grill and into the engine area at a certain speed. Just a hunch but Ive seen this before on some 993 ducktails - the best ductail for track work was the one below I almost bought last year and posted on this board (got a negative reaction). You will see the vent "gills" are like the factory one and angled to catch air as it comes down from the rear window.... Remember this has nothing to do with engine temp (oil temp) as your oil coolers are at the front of the car and may have plenty of adequate ventilation. You could try an airbox "snorkel" - they may have used them on the 964T to get the air feed closer to the wing grill (they did on the 993 as they obviously identified a weakness here). Of course it could well be none of these. The car runs well for the first session which is odd. I assume furthermore the first half of the first session is better than the second half. If it were the ductail I could only assume its not allowing the heat soak between sessions to be washed away by the following sessions air foil. Not sure how you measure this but suggets a lap with a passenger running the bosch hammer tool in the OBD1 socket reading out IAT will help - you could even do it on the motorway fine. Id say the issue will be above 80kmph if it exists at all. You should be getting between 2-4 C of the ambient on the motorway at around 100-120kmpg IMO... Hope this helps. Must dash now...
Thanks Macca. I will test with the laptop being watched by the GoPro. I will also talk to Steve in the new year. He built the 964 race car on Trademe with the same ducktail so should have an opinion.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 AM
mikee6421
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave, you can't have had your glasses on. The car is original but needs a bit of detailing. I'm not a fan of the twists on narrow body 993's. Personally I think the Cup II's on lowered suspension is the best look for stock a 993.
Paul, have you decided what suspension upgrade to go with?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Would have been a good car for Chris's project?? Who did you know this? I thought the starting bid was $37K
Had it on my watch list and saw it had disappeared, then looked at auctions lost.

He dropped the price a few days ago, kept on dropping it until he got a bite. Probably a fair price. Based on what it looked like it was either a good base for a track/targa car or just a roughy. Been there got the Tshirt and know that if I bought it I would strip all of the interior etc. Not worth it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikee6421
Paul, have you decided what suspension upgrade to go with?
Not yet, I am really keen to have a closer look at your car and see what the ride is like (I need to ask you nicely to take me for a spin around the block and on some bumpy roads). I was thinking the PSS10's, but on reflection, are considering the Bilstien B6 with extra thread - the target is RS + 10mm and some neg camber. But I do like the flexibility of ride comfort and heights that the P10's offer, but don't actually need something this serious............but will I regret not spending the extra $2k while doing the suspension rebuild.........?

I need to figure out what tires to use too as the current set are old and new tires just make such a massive difference to the ride. I am actually thinking Toyo 888's as they are road legal and good in the wet, so a nice road, occasional track combo. Also considering Hankook 221, but can't get my head around them being road legal??

First step is to get running in ship shape order, the car is in at Conti's getting a head to toe going over, a lot will depend on what's found and the $$ damage of this exercise. When John did this with his 964, it cost him $15K...........

I have Saturday to Tuesday off at Papamoa beach, I will be developing a 'to do' list including short shift, golden rod, front bushes, engine mounts etc...., and getting Macca to peer review when he is in town in early Jan. He dosen't know it yet, but I will be taking a harder look at his car and his advise on do's and don't bothers.

There are a couple of things that I don't particularly enjoy about the car including the engine note!! (964's sound far better), it just doesn't sound like a 911 (i.e. air cooled boxer engine). I don't want to do a Macca and scare the neighbors. The fisters and other exhausts I see on you tube make them sound 'too throaty' for my tastes, more like a V8 than a boxer engine. I need an exhaust note solution that makes it sound like a boxer engine. I also don't like the gear shift (I know this is rich for a 915 box driver), it's too long and clunky, so hoping short shift and golden rod improve this.

You can see where my stock standard, road car is heading.................. The problem is I like my cars in 'club sport' spec.

I should have purchased the 996.2 GT3......... that car is such a bargain...........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-19-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, For a project manager you either seem to have a problem defining the objective or keeping to it!

You were talking family car. Now you're on the slippery slope. You don't need z221s for the road. Give into the force, make this the car you really want and sell the C3.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul, For a project manager you either seem to have a problem defining the objective or keeping to it!

You were talking family car. Now you're on the slippery slope. You don't need z221s for the road. Give into the force, make this the car you really want and sell the C3.
I repeat..............I should have purchased the GT3.............

Maybe I hold onto the 993 for a few years to get the 'T shirt' and then buy a GT3.

Bloody track cocaine....................very additive stuff............it's even got me liking 996's
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 AM
mikee6421
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet, I am really keen to have a closer look at your car and see what the ride is like (I need to ask you nicely to take me for a spin around the block and on some bumpy roads). I was thinking the PSS10's, but on reflection, are considering the Bilstien B6 with extra thread - the target is RS + 10mm and some neg camber. But I do like the flexibility of ride comfort and heights that the P10's offer, but don't actually need something this serious............but will I regret not spending the extra $2k while doing the suspension rebuild.........? I need to figure out what tires to use too as the current set are old and new tires just make such a massive difference to the ride. I am actually thinking Toyo 888's as they are road legal and good in the wet, so a nice road, occasional track combo. Also considering Hankook 221, but can't get my head around them being road legal?? First step is to get running in ship shape order, the car is in at Conti's getting a head to toe going over, a lot will depend on what's found and the $$ damage of this exercise. When John did this with his 964, it cost him $15K........... I have Saturday to Tuesday off at Papamoa beach, I will be developing a 'to do' list including short shift, golden rod, front bushes, engine mounts etc...., and getting Macca to peer review when he is in town in early Jan. He dosen't konw it yet, but I will be taking a harder look at his car and his advise on do's and don't bothers. There are a couple of things that I don't particularly enjoy about the car including the engine note!! (964's sound far better), it just doesn't sound like a 911 (i.e. air cooled boxer engine). I don't want to do a Macca and scare the neighbors. The fisters and other exhausts I see on you tube make them sound 'too throaty' for my tastes. I need an exhaust note solution that makes it sound like a boxer engine. I also don't like the gear shift (I know this is rich for a 915 box driver), it's too long and clunky, so hoping short shift and golden rod improve this. You can see where my stock standard, road car is heading..................
Yes that is no problem. My recollection is that the HDs with H&Rs lowered the car to approx RS ride height and it was a little tricky to get things correct. I think the PSS9s (they were current at that time) would have given more flexibility in this regard, apart from being a lot better in all respects. I did not want to go too low as I have a wicked driveway but it just works. I recall the car felt very stable afterwards and the steering weighted up, so I would guess that any weakness in your steering rack and control arm bushings will become apparent. And so the list goes on as I'm sure you know already. As regards control arm bushings, I have replaced these on my turbo and went with Elephant Racing Sport hardness rubber bushings. I had read about the urethane option but after more research decided against going that way. The ERs have improved the feel in a linear fashion rather than exponentially, i.e. It feels very like before just a little more direct with a tiny tradeoff of some minor 'chatter' going over the driveway bump. I will likely go the same route when I replace the bushings on the Carrera (you do stuff on one car and then you notice the slight shortcomings on the other car (:-)).
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

There are a couple of things that I don't particularly enjoy about the car including the engine note!! (964's sound far better), it just doesn't sound like a 911 (i.e. air cooled boxer engine). I don't want to do a Macca and scare the neighbors. The fisters and other exhausts I see on you tube make them sound 'too throaty' for my tastes, more like a V8 than a boxer engine. I need an exhaust note solution that makes it sound like a boxer engine.........
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=676495809 Fabspeed exhaust for 993
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for thinking of me Macca..............

So where are Jo and you spending Xmas this year??
No problems.

We are looking at splashing out on a lux hotel in Monte Carlo for 24/25th. Will only be one night due to $$$! As you may know the Europeans celebrate Xmas on Xmas eve.....
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Not yet, I am really keen to have a closer look at your car and see what the ride is like (I need to ask you nicely to take me for a spin around the block and on some bumpy roads). I was thinking the PSS10's, but on reflection, are considering the Bilstien B6 with extra thread - the target is RS + 10mm and some neg camber. But I do like the flexibility of ride comfort and heights that the P10's offer, but don't actually need something this serious............but will I regret not spending the extra $2k while doing the suspension rebuild.........?

I need to figure out what tires to use too as the current set are old and new tires just make such a massive difference to the ride. I am actually thinking Toyo 888's as they are road legal and good in the wet, so a nice road, occasional track combo. Also considering Hankook 221, but can't get my head around them being road legal??

First step is to get running in ship shape order, the car is in at Conti's getting a head to toe going over, a lot will depend on what's found and the $$ damage of this exercise. When John did this with his 964, it cost him $15K...........

I have Saturday to Tuesday off at Papamoa beach, I will be developing a 'to do' list including short shift, golden rod, front bushes, engine mounts etc...., and getting Macca to peer review when he is in town in early Jan. He dosen't know it yet, but I will be taking a harder look at his car and his advise on do's and don't bothers.

There are a couple of things that I don't particularly enjoy about the car including the engine note!! (964's sound far better), it just doesn't sound like a 911 (i.e. air cooled boxer engine). I don't want to do a Macca and scare the neighbors. The fisters and other exhausts I see on you tube make them sound 'too throaty' for my tastes, more like a V8 than a boxer engine. I need an exhaust note solution that makes it sound like a boxer engine. I also don't like the gear shift (I know this is rich for a 915 box driver), it's too long and clunky, so hoping short shift and golden rod improve this.

You can see where my stock standard, road car is heading.................. The problem is I like my cars in 'club sport' spec.

I should have purchased the 996.2 GT3......... that car is such a bargain...........
A couple of things.

Firstly, good move on having Deanos boys look your car over thoroughly. This will give you a good start point.

Secondly your 993 is running standard exhaust. Most of th 964s you have driven at HD have had modified (Dave, Pete, John etc). The 993 will respond very well to a rear muffler update. I would recommend RSR exhaust via Gert at Carnewal. Lovely sound - they were my favorites by a long way till I split hem from the heat on the dyno in 2010 and changed them to Fister stage 2 then stage 1 - which have a different sound - but I really prefer the more shrill metallic old school sound of the RSRs. Check out John McMs youtube site to hear them on my unmodified engine prior to all the engine work. I did have cat delete in the clip so factor a bit quieter for your car - fine for the neighbors too.

The FD golden rod with RS shifter fork kit from FD Motorsport will sort out the long shift change you are experiencing. Its not an expensive upgrade.

For suspension is back to fit for purpose and first as John says you need to define purpose. If its a mostly road car the B6/HD with some thicker roll bars will be fine. There will be tie rods and A arm bushes to attend to also to really tighten things up in the steering department as Mike says.

If you are going to take this car to the track my advice is do not. It will start something that will get very expensive!

Happy to go over your car when Im back in Jan. I have a few ideas on how to keep you poor....

P.S. Z221 and Toyo 888 tyre tread patters are quite similar. Both R compound dot rated and street legal. Ive driven my Z221 in cold, warm, pouring rain and hot dry and they handle very well to me.

For a street 993 on 17s I would consider Super Sports but I understand they may not make these in your sizes. If so consider the new Bridgestone S04 maybe or the Plot Sport PS2....
Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

A few snaps this morning before leaving Tuscany. Was a nippy 8 C out there, car looks as crisp as the air!
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?