Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I know this car, it has a lot of mod's similar to the C3. What did it sell for??
Advertised for $37,000. The market is all over the place right now.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Fun fishing trip. Got good bites from those I targeted but didn't quite land one. Ha ha.

When the old cars are long gone from the garage I reckon there will be regrets in future. Just saying.

Graeme, why do you own (and love) an old 911?
Doug. Graeme's only owned an old aircooled for a little longer than you have owned Lola. The 10 years before that were two water cooled cars (Boxster and before that 996 GT3). I have it on good authority his next Porsche may be modern and water-cooled too :-). Excuse me if I have that all wrong Graeme...

No one is arguing water cooled arent great Doug. John, Paul & myself were amongst the first to the party around these parts. However even you are driving a modern water cooled boxster and loving it - and your first Porsche was an almost new auto Cayenne. Nostalgia is a great thing, it plays on the emotions and the heartstrings. I think everyone should own an old aircooled manual 911 for nostalgia. Id like to keep mine till I die (it may by then even be worth what I have spent on it LOL). But the new stuff is very fun too.

Anyone wanting to own a 2016 Cayman GT4 at a discounted price? Im happy to spec it to your requirement, pick it up n Europe and drive it for you for 2 months and under 8000 km then ship it to NZ for you to register on road for 25% discount approx over NZ retail :-)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong Macca. I'm not taking anything away from the new kit which is amazing. I travelled almost 2,000km in a 991 GT3 on the South Island Targa Tour. They're amazing. I'd love a new GT3, GT4 or John's R.

I'm just saying in ten years you and John may regret quitting your "old" 911s. Just IMO.

I just reconnected with a long lost cousin who had a SC many years ago. He drives a modern turbo in the UAE. I'm sure he'd love the SC back for the nostalgia.

However, all of us go through stages. Change is a constant.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ This is a no win arguement, we all know ideally you have not less than 3 cars............

1) a new one with all the technology and advantages that it brings.
2) an old school Sunday driver, whether it be a 911 or 356......
3) and something with a cage (cup car??)

(or 4 if you are Dougie as you need a cab........)

Or if you are Dave Mac, Razzo or Oli - you have approx 15-20 and still want another 10 more..........

If you can only afford or have time for 1 car - well your arguement will be swayed toward your budget. Some people think 964's are God's Gift to 911's at the moment, and that may be true if your budget is $40K, but if you have $250K or more - well I'm sure you are thinking a 997/991 GT3 is more like it and quietly think a 964 is a 'Flinstone car' where you have to get out and push it as it's missing 200HP (as Neil experienced when he drove a 993 Tipo) - it just depends on your circumstances.........
Old 02-05-2015, 11:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Don't get me wrong Macca. I'm not taking anything away from the new kit which is amazing. I travelled almost 2,000km in a 991 GT3 on the South Island Targa Tour. They're amazing. I'd love a new GT3, GT4 or John's R. I'm just saying in ten years you and John may regret quitting your "old" 911s. Just IMO. I just reconnected with a long lost cousin who had a SC many years ago. He drives a modern turbo in the UAE. I'm sure he'd love the SC back for the nostalgia. However, all of us go through stages. Change is a constant.
Doug, you need to get Lola out there and show us what's what. Herman isn't gone yet, he just needs a reason to stay in the garage longer term.

With the power enhancements and setup I think he is well suited to a targa tour at some stage but in the meantime he'll proudly protect the C4 honour at the track if needed. I might yet put those 214s on the front wheels to keep you at bay, if 1.20 is breached.

I'm also keen to see what the manic setting on the R will do. Even on the Sports setting the throttle response makes smooth driving difficult. It must be good for 1.18 first time out. We will find out on the 22nd if I get a clear run.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Sounds good John. Keen to get Lola back of course. I'd like to take her and the RS60 to the RSG track day. We'll see
Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sounds good John. Keen to get Lola back of course. I'd like to take her and the RS60 to the RSG track day. We'll see
Shaping up to have more cars than drivers at the event. First world problems
Old 02-06-2015, 12:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the track day on the 22nd - is this 22nd Feb and a Playday??
Old 02-06-2015, 01:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What is the track day on the 22nd - is this 22nd Feb and a Playday??
Yep it's a Playday. Prestige & normal groups - no RSG but there will be a presence I'm sure.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:13 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Fun fishing trip. Got good bites from those I targeted but didn't quite land one. Ha ha.

When the old cars are long gone from the garage I reckon there will be regrets in future. Just saying.

Graeme, why do you own (and love) an old 911?
Noting Macca's comments as well. I don't think you can compare old vs new in using the same measuring stick. My old mantra stated a few times here is that its horses for courses. Own and enjoy a car for its purpose. The more specialized the purpose the narrower the breath is use. My Targa car may not be perfectly set up (hard to know whats best) for Targa but we have won more than our share of class silverware yet it always feels terrible on track, a way different setup and balance required. The boys with track/race cars know there is a world of different taking a road car on track (even suitably modded) and racing a proper set up race car.

I renewed my enthusiasm for the intimacy of a light weight special on track on the SITT last year - so much so that I went and gave it a good dose TLC and want to NITT and had a ball - even in the rain.

So to the old school aircooled. I'm sure they are trickier to setup, maintain, drive (with no technology) and they are not so good for DD duty for sure. But the rewards are there in light weight, very direct controls and input vs output immediate response and you can't get this so much on modern cars. My experience in Sweden with the Tuthill cars reinforces this. I'm sure part of it is the challenge and satisfaction of extracting those rewards. I am not discounting going back to Sweden next year...

The problem of course is that we all still gotta have a DD car. And that's where you spend the most time driving so its nice to have a good DD too. For most of the last 15 years I have run a hatchback as a DD - say 12 of those years aside from when I had the Boxster. So owning specialized narrower use cars (but in my view better and more enjoyable when used for purpose) meant a cheaper DD. Just the way you want to cut it really.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Yep it's a Playday. Prestige & normal groups - no RSG but there will be a presence I'm sure.
Neil and Me in the normal group so far. Getting seat time in the Grinch before my first race. Neil is looking at driving BB2. Plenty of room for other drivers as BB not accounted for yet.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Nice comments Graeme. Are you entered in the Targa in May?

BTW I've done a lot of LFB in the Boxster to find max corner turn in and speed. Getting much more used to it now. However I've twice gone to change gear and stomped on the brake pedal instead of the clutch with my left foot. Certainly wakes you up in a hurry.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

not entered yet but got to start thinking about that - had too many things on
Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

There is a Porsche in there. Regardless, wow!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/retromobile...uction-1486605
Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/road...p1-comes-to-nz

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?