Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

P.S. What I was getting at is to try and sit at the posted limit of 100kmph for any length of time is probably statistically difficult without a variance of 1kmph (1%) to the high or low side and thus an unrealistic tolerance level. Slow the national speed limit and cripple the economy is the other side of the story. Throw in the words deflation and wait for the Fonterra pay out announcement tomorrow just to help give the economists some shivers then get one of the top profile guys like Gareth Morgan a biker and an ex economist (and a wealthy dude) to get on board and back up what 20Kmph off the national open road limit will do for goods and services movements in NZ and the real impact to GDP....

heck there I go again.

Bubsa not putting out tonight hence the PM to Grinch master.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. What I was getting at is to try and sit at the posted limit of 100kmph for any length of time is probably statistically difficult without a variance of 1kmph (1%) to the high or low side and thus an unrealistic tolerance level.
No problem I'd have thought - just don't spend so much time looking out the windscreen and keep your peepers locked on the speedo instead. Learn to put your faith in government guaranteed double digit speeds and your car's passive safety systems. You paid good money for those airbags - such a shame not to try them out now and again.

Slow the national speed limit and cripple the economy is the other side of the story.
Slower traffic = longer journeys = pricier freight = higher shelf prices = more GST tax paid. What's not to like?

Take Christchurch. No one would sensibly think that having a city destroyed is actually good for the country but the rebuild still polishes up our GDP.

Mostly tongue in cheek of course...
Old 12-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Loving it Walter!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Ahh John.. just get Donna a new car.... We in the water bucket brigade can only watch and weep as another leaves our fold.. well done..how much you give away..? Or were you forthright and firm as stated?
I basically covered the cost of shipping to Chch via Carr & Haslam.

It was such as easy sale (jinxing myself as money not in the bank?) with no inspection that I was in a flexible mood. It should be shipping tomorrow so I need funds today to make that happen. No 13 year old car is perfect but I think he got a good deal. If it had been my only car I don't think I would have sold it.

As for Donna, your subversion attempts don't appear to have worked yet. The GTI is still there and no signs of that wavering. She works at a decile 1 school so that had an impact.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
So does Herman get a new door and paint job now??
It's certainly higher up the priority list, though if it turns out to be my only car I'm stuffed. I am not taking the bus for months just to have a shinier paint job.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Cool Dave. Will check your thread for new seat pics. BTW, they're probably almost as rare as rocking horse poo but what looked to be a signal orange long hood caught my attention as it headed north from the bridge as I was going south after the Milford meet. Brilliant colour that traps the eye - can't wait to see her come together!

Peter - you didn't happen to have a GoPro riding shotgun did you? Must've been some nice driving!
I wonder who's that was? I've seen two signal orange cars in NZ ever. A Targa in the late 80's and Dean's restoration of the E and thats it.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re the speed thing - in addition to that already said, the current policy will almost certainly INCREAsE the accident rate. Even more people travelling at 85-95 causing more frustration behind them leading to ever more misjudged overtaking. Only need 6th form high school physics to work out that the safer overtaking manoeuvre involves a speed differential of 30-40 kph not 3- 5 kph. Work out the time/distance spent on the wrong side of the centre line.
No need for Einstein here, gentlemen. The policy will be counterproductive!!!
David
Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM
PHG
Racer

Good effort
Perhaps I should send Donna subversive Santa Fe emails as the Grinch seems to be running shotgun...!
What news the pommie enquiry?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Good effort Perhaps I should send Donna subversive Santa Fe emails as the Grinch seems to be running shotgun...! What news the pommie enquiry?
Car is having a PPI today. Enquiries are split between buying and driving as is and a full dismantle respray to the original Horizon Blue Metallic. All enquiries are Porsche owners.

The condition of everything else on the car probably makes the full respray a no brainer as I thought about it on the bus this morning.

If you buy an original colour car, how good would the paint be after 21 years? Likely great but not exceptional. A full respray takes out every imperfection in the paint and gives a known base. Paul is spending not much less on his original colour respray as a new owner would on a full back to original colour job.

While the economics are compelling to pick it up at offer price, spend $30k making it perfect, then shipping it to the UK selling for $300k, I don't have the space to store a car that can never be touched e.g. Cats wandering through a door left open, but I could use one of those bubbles....
Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Thanks. Let the GT3s past after the safety car and then made myself as wide as possible. Had to hold Kevin C off for 3 laps - which was fun

Don't suppose you've found any decent photos online?
No, nothing yet. Will keep an eye out. I wasn't sure who was there over the weekend though. Normally I notice it on their vests.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pic's of the Cayman GTS - a fantastic car..........
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Like the stance and the wheels. Even looks good in silver (preference would be the launch carmine red). Very nice.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Car is having a PPI today. Enquiries are split between buying and driving as is and a full dismantle respray to the original Horizon Blue Metallic. All enquiries are Porsche owners.

The condition of everything else on the car probably makes the full respray a no brainer as I thought about it on the bus this morning.

If you buy an original colour car, how good would the paint be after 21 years? Likely great but not exceptional. A full respray takes out every imperfection in the paint and gives a known base. Paul is spending not much less on his original colour respray as a new owner would on a full back to original colour job.

While the economics are compelling to pick it up at offer price, spend $30k making it perfect, then shipping it to the UK selling for $300k, I don't have the space to store a car that can never be touched e.g. Cats wandering through a door left open, but I could use one of those bubbles....
good thinking John. Its too valuable to leave sitting, and too valuable to drive..
think how many Hondas you can buy with that money..!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul is spending not much less on his original colour respray as a new owner would on a full back to original colour job.

A colour change is a whole new story JMc as you are stripping the engine, all the bonnet linings and peeling back all the carpet and trim edges. The car goes on a rotisserie and should look like Dave's Orange when it was being painted to do it properly.

Remember the engine bay and bonnet didn't get touched in my car as he could spray into a seam hidden by rubbers. Nor did any guards require removing as the original paint in these areas was excellent and still factory. My project was basically a correction of crap panel touch-ups where they had interpreted polar silver to be different shades of polar 'light blue' to the bonnet and front guards.

I would budget $35K for a 'turn key' proper colour change as you are basically stripping the car. You also need to allow for new rubbers and annodized window trims etc. - and man do they add up. By the time you restore the BIG reds, replace some glass and professionally polish the rims etc - there goes another $5K.............

When repainting a car - you need to be careful to not have fresh paint and crap rubbers and glass - otherwise it looks half-***.

This is why I backed off the pooh-bear C3, I kinda figured the repaint bill from pooh-bear to lime green or mexico blue including the rust removal and replacement rubbers, annodized window trims etc. was going to be $50K, then there was the interior ($15K) and the engine and transmission ($30K) and ‘hey presto’ you are at a $100K reno which is the general consensus in NZ to concours a car properly using tradespeople ..........or you left it as a rusty pooh-bear which I didn’t want to do.

Mine is a windows out respray, but masked to a gasket or seam - the attached pic tells a 100 words to clarify the scope - a colour change would go waaaaay beyond this.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-10-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Buba did you have the door straps reinforced same time or were they already done?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?