Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John, does your new windscreen have the embedded aerial for the radio? When i first saw mine i am embarrassed to admit i thought it was a fancy rally demister or something similar, haha. Noob. Good news on the no-rust
No it doesn't. Ideally it would but for $620 fitted it wasn't a deal breaker. I dislike the inane chatter on radio so stream Spotify and hence it's not an issue for me. If it was I imagine it's not difficult to arrange a hidden aerial. I still have the one they used for the phone.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm just loving my kiwi summer so far...I'm not even thinking about cars today. Lived down here a small while late 80s - miss it a lot and could see myself here again sometime.
...Piha
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I'm just loving my kiwi summer so far...I'm not even thinking about cars today. Lived down here a small while late 80s - miss it a lot and could see myself here again sometime.
...Piha
That looks like a rare RS model Mark?
You dont see many light weights these days.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
That looks like a rare RS model Mark? You dont see many light weights these days.
Even fewer without decals.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Interesting site for those looking at the relative rarity of UK cars https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=Porsche+Cayman
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
That looks like a rare RS model Mark? You dont see many light weights these days.
It's true Nick. This one has the original rack too and it's in fine form. No yramp stamps either so double unique as john says. Good news is it's the NZ National Surf Champs so there's a refreshing number of svelte models on the lot....
Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Haha!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting site for those looking at the relative rarity of UK cars https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=Porsche+Cayman
Intersting - what does S-A represent?

Yes, very well played sir!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Intersting - what does S-A represent? Yes, very well played sir!
The page owner states that the entries are as per the official register descriptions. Maybe the dealers don't always register with the same description? I thought S-A might be shift - automatic.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Good work yesterday chaps. I wanted to come out for a look but couldn't quite stretch it. I am up for all and any track days from now on, of course I need a complete Porsche first but a Honda will do. Bad luck Michael. You can be the second driver of my 911T (after me), because I know you will be the most cautious! Not like those other hangmen, aye?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

HNY all! sounds like everyone is reinvigorated.
I have caught up with the thread post holiday.

Looks like a fun day had by all yesterday.
Who's going out on Sat to HD?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
My advice is to stay on road tyres until you're comfortable with the traction circle and the car moving around under you. If you're worried about wasting expensive road tyres, try to find something cheaper in that range for your spare wheels that still has a decent reputation for handling heat.
Thanks Matt, appreciate the guidance. Definitely keen to stick to road tyres, and am conscious of $$. The Hankook RS3 come in at a good price point, and although expensive the Pilot Sport Cup 2 seem to perform pretty well. Should really put the money into buying a jack and stands so I can swap wheels myself, and use up the Toyo Proxes that are on the other set...
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks Matt, appreciate the guidance. Definitely keen to stick to road tyres, and am conscious of $$. The Hankook RS3 come in at a good price point, and although expensive the Pilot Sport Cup 2 seem to perform pretty well. Should really put the money into buying a jack and stands so I can swap wheels myself, and use up the Toyo Proxes that are on the other set...
I had a set of rims and Z221s for my 996 TT, which I ran once at Pukekohe. I sold those to Phil who ran them at HD before selling them. I think Matt is right, the sticky rubber doesn't promote learning car handling and can accelerate wear and tear as both Phil and I found. If we were doing a typical Playday format your tyres would start to go off at the end of each session. Yesterday you had more time so could run on past the tyre limit.

As for changing tyres, a race jack and an Impact Wrench are the tools of choice. I've yet to find the best type and source of the latter.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Hiring an instructor on a track day is the best way to go.

Racing Ray saved me 3 sec's, Stu saved me half a second after 3 years of regularly going to the track.

I did DT with Chris Mendes today in the Honda and are now as quick as Chris B.....!!!!

Lots of laps with someone beside you is the only way to go...........
Just put the $50 into the RSG kitty for extra beers.

But in seriousness I can't recommend Stu enough -- the day I shared him with Paul helped hugely with confidence and technical skill. I'll be looking to use him again later this year.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Looks like everyone has the bug again. Maybe we need to book a few RSG Play Days. End of March / Early April??

There is going to be a PCNZ motocross on a drifting track, 3 skid pan days and 2 sprint track days between May and August. I will post the dates shortly and will be calling for helpers with the Driver Training day (JMc, Doug, Mendes and a few others who want to volunteer.........)

Pete, Chris B, Neil and Sean get to be driver trainers coz they are 'cool' and have race cars..........
Happy to help, just need to schedule it in.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Glad you've got the bug -- I'm not a good example, but careful with the online shopping. Now where's that suspension controller I was looking at ...

I'm pretty happy with the RS3's, but am amazed how much more heat they held than the SS's... I'll have my temp gauge along next time as it must have been an additional 10C.

Lastly -- huge upvote for the format. More tracktime, more relaxed atmosphere, better garaging(?), complete flexibility in approach (number of laps, cooldown count, running alone/with another). With 20 total cars, I think we struggled to ever hit 15 -- as Macca said probably closer to 8-10. I think we could subscribe up to 30 and be just fine. Easy way to regulate it would be fifteen magnetic numbers or logos (a big RSG!) that the cars wear while out.

I'd be super happy to do more events like this. Maybe Playday can offer it as an alternative format to groups like ours to simplify RSG's administration efforts.

CS
Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Not everyday..

Not everyday in NZ you see a speedster..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?