Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sounds good mate...........

IMHO to drive these old girls in anger with the faster cars, you need to rebuild and dial in the suspension like I did on the C3. When I first got the C3 the level of grip (or lack of really scared me). I only got confident to hang with and take it to faster cars (i.e. 964's) once it was fully dialed in and I had 12 months track experience and better knew the limits of that car.

This is not a criticism of your SC - it is a lovely car and drives really well.

My point is you just need to have them running at better than factory spec to hand with more modern Pcars.

The problem is we have all upspec'ed to newer and faster cars over the last 2 years. You now need a reasonable driving ability and 300HP to hang with the gang.

(more if you want to run with the front runners.......)

Very few of the RSG have our original cars or cars in stock trim.
Yeah, I could, but the T will get all the lovin'. The SC is being enjoyed as it is.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought some may be interested in my impressions on the first race meeting.
Firstly the people are great and all were helpful ,friendly and encouraging. Had so much advice that I think some of it finally sank in. Simple stuff, but needs to be programmed in so you do it in the heat of the moment. Hold your line, the favourite one and the most important, when the 991 , 997 and 996 Cups start coming through. Laughed at myself when, after chasing Pete in the first race for 6 laps in the reverse grid the marshals started waving blue flags ( cars wanting to overtake). I thought, finally,they see that I am serious in wanting to get past and maybe Pete would let me past or give me a break, when the leading cup car came screaming from nowhere and split the gap between us. Nearly s--- myself.
Secondly we had a very pleasant social side to the weekend with dinner in Kohi on Saturday night with some locals and out of towners. A part of the porsche series that has been expounded and was very nice to experience. Annie enjoyed it and came to share the nerves today and, I think, appreciates the effort and passion that was on display.
Third, the racing. It is better than you can imagine. The experience, from sitting on the dummy grid waiting to start your engine after you have checked your car, made your tyre choice, changed quickly as its so hot , sweating a bit from excitement and heat and then the "start your engines ". Wonderful stuff. Get the heat in your tyres ,(lots of advice on that, and essential as well) on the warmup lap, over so quickly, on your spot , adrenalin running , flag drop and away you go, first corner not too fast. Hold on hold on. See and chase Pete who drove so well couldn't get to pass him, in front a few times, then the fast boys fly by. I came last twice but felt like I was a winner. My times were better than expected. 1.17.1 in qualifying and 1.17.5 in the last race , but it's the close racing that gets you going and how to get up to and then pass the car in front . .............
We should all be so lucky as to spend a weekend like this one as it makes you really feel alive and was so rewarding. If you are sitting on the fence , don't, get involved. This is what we all really want to do isn't it?
Thanks to Pete who made my races such fun, to Kev for the car. To Steve and Dan and Caleb for fixing my alternator and for Chris, Phil, Robert and Marco for the advice and help.
I have not met Petes wife , and hope she doesn't mind, but his comment after the last race , with his eyes wide and sweat pouring from his red face, summed up the weekend races... It's better than sex!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
I thought some may be interested in my impressions on the first race meeting.
Firstly the people are great and all were helpful ,friendly and encouraging. Had so much advice that I think some of it finally sank in. Simple stuff, but needs to be programmed in so you do it in the heat of the moment. Hold your line, the favourite one and the most important, when the 991 , 997 and 996 Cups start coming through. Laughed at myself when, after chasing Pete in the first race for 6 laps in the reverse grid the marshals started waving blue flags ( cars wanting to overtake). I thought, finally,they see that I am serious in wanting to get past and maybe Pete would let me past or give me a break, when the leading cup car came screaming from nowhere and split the gap between us. Nearly s--- myself.
Secondly we had a very pleasant social side to the weekend with dinner in Kohi on Saturday night with some locals and out of towners. A part of the porsche series that has been expounded and was very nice to experience. Annie enjoyed it and came to share the nerves today and, I think, appreciates the effort and passion that was on display.
Third, the racing. It is better than you can imagine. The experience, from sitting on the dummy grid waiting to start your engine after you have checked your car, made your tyre choice, changed quickly as its so hot , sweating a bit from excitement and heat and then the "start your engines ". Wonderful stuff. Get the heat in your tyres ,(lots of advice on that, and essential as well) on the warmup lap, over so quickly, on your spot , adrenalin running , flag drop and away you go, first corner not too fast. Hold on hold on. See and chase Pete who drove so well couldn't get to pass him, in front a few times, then the fast boys fly by. I came last twice but felt like I was a winner. My times were better than expected. 1.17.1 in qualifying and 1.17.5 in the last race , but it's the close racing that gets you going and how to get up to and then pass the car in front . .............
We should all be so lucky as to spend a weekend like this one as it makes you really feel alive and was so rewarding. If you are sitting on the fence , don't, get involved. This is what we all really want to do isn't it?
Thanks to Pete who made my races such fun, to Kev for the car. To Steve and Dan and Caleb for fixing my alternator and for Chris, Phil, Robert and Marco for the advice and help.
I have not met Petes wife , and hope she doesn't mind, but his comment after the last race , with his eyes wide and sweat pouring from his red face, summed up the weekend races... It's better than sex!
Lol - Kim reckoned that based on the texts I sent her, that's exactly what I must have been doing!

Neil, you sum it up so well. The people are awesome. Mix that with the adrenalin, anticipation, hyper awareness on track and sense of achievement when finished and its a winning combo.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

So the wife bought me a GoPro Hero for my birthday with the option to return it and upgrade within 2 weeks. I've looked at the other versions and given the little use it would get at the moment if I was to be honest the Hero would "do the job" however.... having never used one it appears that it can't be remotely turned on and off? Ie from a smartphone or? On their website under "built in wireless" the Hero is a NO and the next model up is a yes. So any GoPro experts here? Macca I know you've owned like 26 of these thingamajiggy's. How do you turn them on and off? Would the Hero or Hero3 White suffice for average use.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Neil. Brilliant review. Very inspiring. Well done popping your cherry and thanks for sharing the various aspects and camaraderie of the event and its organisation which may not be as evident to many "outsiders". I have no doubt that when finances allow there will be more RSG members joining yourself, Chris, Pete & Sean. Actually now I've said that Ive Realised if there were too many more of us join you it would almost become the RSG series lol! Well done!!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Lol - Kim reckoned that based on the texts I sent her, that's exactly what I must have been doing! Neil, you sum it up so well. The people are awesome. Mix that with the adrenalin, anticipation, hyper awareness on track and sense of achievement when finished and its a winning combo.
Good description Neil. It was fun watching you boys out there.

Pete, what group would a 3.4 Cayman run in?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:07 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave - I am guessing that is your Pcar seat on TM.

I'll swap you for a 911 SC steering wheel??

I assume it fits in the back of a 993?
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2015, 03:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

In fairness to Pete - he just said sex, not good sex............
Old 02-01-2015, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
So the wife bought me a GoPro Hero for my birthday with the option to return it and upgrade within 2 weeks. I've looked at the other versions and given the little use it would get at the moment if I was to be honest the Hero would "do the job" however.... having never used one it appears that it can't be remotely turned on and off? Ie from a smartphone or? On their website under "built in wireless" the Hero is a NO and the next model up is a yes. So any GoPro experts here? Macca I know you've owned like 26 of these thingamajiggy's. How do you turn them on and off? Would the Hero or Hero3 White suffice for average use. Cheers
Keep what she bought you mate. I have the lot and can tell you the remote is a PITA. Uses WiFi. Which means it juices the GoPro battery twice as fast as without. Non problem if you hardware but then you'll find the next problem as I did which is the remote fob they supply only has a battery lasts approx 45 mins max doesnt go the distance so you end up with juice in the camera but not the remote. There is an app but last time I used it I'm not sure if it switched the unit off and on, even so then you'll juice the smartphone so that then needs plugging in and the wifi channel will be all used up so no obd2 donggle etc. you don't need the extra resolution of the flasher unit as it burns space up too fast 1080 x 30fps is more than enough. My advice keep it simple switch it on and off manually and spend the extra on a couple of spare batteries and some accessories like suction mount etc. gopro has the best quality image by a long shot it's just so crisp. Song has the best sound by far but the picture isn't as crisp nor the colours as well rendered. All IMO of course....

Ps. Happy birthday mate!!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

Depends on your lap times John - the groups are solely based on time bars, the car can be in any foremation with any mod's/

I'm guessing you would be with the 944 boys as the time bar in 1.14.99 (I think).

Regarding respray cost - I reckon $8-10K if you did the stripping and assembly yourself. Any cheaper and I'd worry about what steps they are missing to hit this cost.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:20 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Paul - I've said it before mate but you really need to find a way onto the grid. You've got the skills to hook right in and you'd have an absolute blast.

Cool to see the number of ex racers (if there is such a thing!) and supporters who always come out for a gander. Was a fun weekend - more time spent on tire choice than anything else and then Chris B sandbags by putting the 221s on then waiting for us to line up on dummy grid with ours on then pulling a last minute switch to slicks. Crafty...
Yes, tried for a bit of cunning, the advantage of being the last to the dummy grid and then finding out the race was delayed half an hour as the track dried out.

Backfired on me though as I'm still learning the slicks and they take a bit more work to come up to temperature and I spun on turn 3 on the first lap, more than negating the advantage of being on slicks as the tires weren't up to temperature and I pushed too hard.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:22 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Lol - Kim reckoned that based on the texts I sent her, that's exactly what I must have been doing!

Neil, you sum it up so well. The people are awesome. Mix that with the adrenalin, anticipation, hyper awareness on track and sense of achievement when finished and its a winning combo.
Great racing guys, Neil, fantastic times and good lines for your first time in the thick of a race, 1:17.1 is bloody quick! Pete, good results given no lsd, next time the battle will be even more intense!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

Depends how fast you drive it. Class B is 1.13.0 to 1.17.49 @ HD so likely in that range.

EDIT: prev times (1.14.5 - 1.18.99) were for Puke

Last edited by peterC2S; 02-01-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Agree with Paul. Looking at around 10k I should think all up. There will always be some disassembly required to do the work right and a few grand on rubbers, seals, gaskets, gas struts, lenses, badges and light units etc to make the car worthy of its new paint shine...,
Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Great racing guys, Neil, fantastic times and good lines for your first time in the thick of a race, 1:17.1 is bloody quick!
+1 - Sensational 1st outing Neil. And a bonus that what was the cleanest, best looking 944 finished the w/e in the same condition.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?