Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Lucky you're not in Ozzie mate! http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...stralian-news/ So when are we doing the Targa in it?
Yes that Australian news report makes me like it even more lol!

Leong may be right. It should be run in by March. Get your prestigio ticket and we can share the driving?!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:51 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Agreed Graeme. I think it's too early to tell on the UK economy. Also depends if they can curtail an official recession. Commercial property trusts are under duress. The FTSE has bounced nicely but question is, is this a dead cat bounce? Currency has stabs,used somewhat since BOE announcement (the right call till fresh data prints IMO) but it's almost without doubt they need to lower. Will 25 basis points off an existing plus 50 make a difference in terms of "cheap money". I doubt it. With transatlantic businesses reconsidering their UK fixtures and strongholds, flight of capital on future devaluation risks etc I can only see volatility for the UK in the next 18 months and some pretty lean times from GDP & inflation. Many didn't realise the London financial industry is bigger than New York, fewer still had any clue how Brexit could lead to kneecapping the economy and potentially stuffing it up for next 10 years. Jo and I are UK citizens and were horrified at the vote. In truth on a 1.8% majority based in a 66% participation I personally don't believe the referendum should have been called on the marginality of the tally. I've spoken to a number there that say the general populace were ignorant to the rams fixations and saw it simply as a "keep Britain from the foreigners" vote. Fair enough to some degree but that horse bolted in the 60s, 70s and 90s! Longer term I'm sure UK will be stronger for it but unless the rest of the EU implodes I can only think it will be a tough environment to trade.

As to what it does to collectors car values there I guess it's like looking at the tea leaves. At least with LHD gear you have a number of healthier economies (US, Germany etc) to exit your stock too when things are tough at home. With RHD you are limited because Sing and HK are off the cards (can't import used etc). India may be a bright spot in the future but that's a way off and they still favour the latest.

I'll watch with interest. My call on the GBP is that it will loose another 5% by year end. Interest rates will be 0-25 bp by year end, economy will be borderline recession. From there on it will be up to how well Boris and the Brexit Eurosceptics and negotiate with the EU and if anyone outside EU is willing to "play" with them in trade until the EUs view on this is fully understood. Right now China and others seem to be eying the gap the UK will leave behind but I think it's way to early to be scalp hunting. Still a lot of water under the bridge and there is still a possibility UK will emerge stronger for it quicker than expected but I think the odds remain against that and I fact more towards the event possibly de stabilising Europe and global growth which in turn may create further volatility on the US, Japanese and Chinese markets.
Also if you haven't already take a look at VIX (volatility on CBOE). It spiked on the Friday and Monday of the Brexit vote but has declined since and is now less than its been for nearly all last 12 months. Seems odd that if there is any significant risk in markets. I also suspect the risk is higher than VIX is indicating
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes. I watch VIX but it just tends to reflect events not trends IMO. There will likely be more events in the future that will affect VIX like the almost coup in Turkey over the weekend. For the GBP I suspect the next movement will be on the BOE OCR, but that should be 70% built in by now. The Trend line I'm suggesting at 5% is against the USD. The NZD is becoming hard to second guess but My bets are still favoured to a softening from here due to monetary easing. I can't see the RBNZ have much choice. If they want the currency down they need to create uncertainty. Everything they have done recently has gone the other way. I think tomorrow night GDT auctions will be interesting and then Thursday on the RBNZ though I suspect they will fumble it again. The big game is the FED but the odds are still stacked against a surprise....
Old 07-18-2016, 05:57 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes Michael for the Focus RS. I have a 6 digit sequence of random letters in mind that should prove almost impossible for someone to take down at a quick glance he he he!
Ha ha, that's genius. You're going to confuse a lot of people trying to work out what it means!

The press on the car has been overwhelmingly favourable at its price point. However I'm reserving my judgement till I've driven it a bit. I've found over the years that buying cars purely on motor noters plaudits is a fools errant.
Yeah, horses for courses really. I'll look forward to hearing your opinion once you've got it.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Believe me when you see it (plate) you will laugh. Some Psych grade did a study or something and this proved to be the least easily remembered combo. It's like an anti personalised plate, platelet lol! There is an almost identical plate available too if someone likes the concept...
Old 07-18-2016, 11:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Believe me when you see it (plate) you will laugh. Some Psych grade did a study or something and this proved to be the least easily remembered combo. It's like an anti personalised plate, platelet lol! There is an almost identical plate available too if someone likes the concept...
Do you have a partner in crime yet?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Water cooled guys, sorting some track rubber for the GT3, whats my best bet? Sport Cup 2, Trofeo R or R888?

There's Yokohama Advan AO48, I run these on the SC and quite like them, however the above options are not available to me there.

I have a second set of wheels with roadies, the car does not see weekend drives, unless to the track.

The 912 IMS has listed on TM is very nice, taking into account the cost to restore to that standard, reasonably priced. Was a red longhood 911 being tidied up in there, heard it's to be listed close to 300k, gotta try it on I guess...

Mark thanks for the heads up on the plates, ended up doing a 2 for 1, the original plates delivered on the 930 was KL930, ordered them & will have them blasted back and re painted in the old style (black surround), the GT3 one was a bit tired to so went with GT3MK2

Last edited by Pel; 07-19-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:49 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in 1982.
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Do you have a partner in crime yet?
Yes - me :-)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Water cooled guys, sorting some track rubber for the GT3, whats my best bet? Sport Cup 2, Trofeo R or R888?

There's Yokohama Advan AO48, I run these on the SC and quite like them, however the above options are not available to me there.

I have a second set of wheels with roadies, the car does not see weekend drives, unless to the track.

The 912 IMS has listed on TM is very nice, taking into account the cost to restore to that standard, reasonably priced. Was a red longhood 911 being tidied up in there, heard it's to be listed close to 300k, gotta try it on I guess...

Mark thanks for the heads up on the plates, ended up doing a 2 for 1, the original plates delivered on the 930 was KL930, ordered them & will have them blasted back and re painted in the old style (black surround), the GT3 one was a bit tired to so went with GT3MK2
Nigel runs Dunlops, I run Hankook 221's, i have run the Trefeo R, they are 95% as good at the 221, I just felt more comfortable with the 221's as they slide more.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Nigel runs Dunlops, I run Hankook 221's, i have run the Trefeo R, they are 95% as good at the 221, I just felt more comfortable with the 221's as they slide more.
^^^what he said. The DS03 or Z221 would be my choice for that car. The z221 would be my first choice, it's definitely the stickiest tyre of the bunch and these Japan /Korean try's will run $500-700 a set cheaper than the MPSC2 and Trofeo R neither of which will be as quick. The MPSC2 would be easily 1.0s a lap slower around HD than the same size Z221 in my experience running a number of sets of both...
Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The "least easily remembered combo" sounds quite memorable.

Don't you want the least memorable least easily remembered combo?

Probably that would be the 5th least easily remembered
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

End of an era guys.. sold the 996T to a good dude in Dunedin all of a sudden..
I shall continue to lurk, and when the new house build, new boat build and the refurb on the existing dwellings are complete, I will get something else.. even thinking of a cheapo Targa so I can stalk Graham Wong and learn all those tricks. The really quick Fraser up here has not sold, but with my dodgy old back I cannot sit in it for 5 minutes, let alone find and push those oh so close pedals.
Or I may put the dog and the lady down, and get another Pcar, but it will have to be quicker than Jake and Chris's.. got tired of looking at their bumpers on the SITT. My budget don't run to Paul or Maccas obsession. Does anybody want to buy a really nice 73'motorboat? Or a u beaut apartment on the beach in Orewa..We have decided to keep and do up the mansion and so will sell the apartment we bought a year ago 2 doors down the road.. Plans are for changing are they not?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Pel - those photos are awesome mate. Was that when the car was new?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
End of an era guys.. sold the 996T to a good dude in Dunedin all of a sudden..
I shall continue to lurk, and when the new house build, new boat build and the refurb on the existing dwellings are complete, I will get something else.. even thinking of a cheapo Targa so I can stalk Graham Wong and learn all those tricks. The really quick Fraser up here has not sold, but with my dodgy old back I cannot sit in it for 5 minutes, let alone find and push those oh so close pedals.
Or I may put the dog and the lady down, and get another Pcar, but it will have to be quicker than Jake and Chris's.. got tired of looking at their bumpers on the SITT. My budget don't run to Paul or Maccas obsession. Does anybody want to buy a really nice 73'motorboat? Or a u beaut apartment on the beach in Orewa..We have decided to keep and do up the mansion and so will sell the apartment we bought a year ago 2 doors down the road.. Plans are for changing are they not?
Sad to see you leaving the fold for a bit Phil.

You are most welcome to invite us up for a Sunday drive to the new pad once built.

Cheers
Paul

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?