Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:55 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave - here's a chance for you to mix your hobbies........??
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

A big driving day. Auckland -.Drury - Pahoia - Hampton Downs - Auckland - Drury - Auckland. Thanks very much to Doug and Chris for making it happen on the day.

BB is at Doug's place and the VTI-R is at mine.

Initial impressions are mixed but positive. There is no doubt that BB drives better as is. The VTI-R rego ran out in 2012 and it feels like it was a bit unloved. I've got a fair bit of work to provide a solid driving platform. I'd say I'll be dismantling anything with rubber bushes and replacing bits. I'll also have to return things to OEM e.g. Exhaust. The good news is that the engine is a B18C and it revs freely. The basics are there, I just need to refresh the bits that make it handle.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:20 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
A big driving day. Auckland -.Drury - Pahoia - Hampton Downs - Auckland - Drury - Auckland. Thanks very much to Doug and Chris for making it happen on the day. BB is at Doug's place and the VTI-R is at mine. Initial impressions are mixed but positive. There is no doubt that BB drives better as is. The VTI-R rego ran out in 2012 and it feels like it was a bit unloved. I've got a fair bit of work to provide a solid driving platform. I'd say I'll be dismantling anything with rubber bushes and replacing bits. I'll also have to return things to OEM e.g. Exhaust. The good news is that the engine is a B18C and it revs freely. The basics are there, I just need to refresh the bits that make it handle.
big mission. can't wait to see how you get the beast set up for some fun.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave - here's a chance for you to mix your hobbies........??
That's nasty! What on earth were you looking for when you came across that monstrosity??
Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

A big driving day. Auckland -.Drury - Pahoia - Hampton Downs - Auckland - Drury - Auckland. Thanks very much to Doug and Chris for making it happen on the day.

BB is at Doug's place and the VTI-R is at mine.

Initial impressions are mixed but positive. There is no doubt that BB drives better as is. The VTI-R rego ran out in 2012 and it feels like it was a bit unloved. I've got a fair bit of work to provide a solid driving platform. I'd say I'll be dismantling anything with rubber bushes and replacing bits. I'll also have to return things to OEM e.g. Exhaust. The good news is that the engine is a B18C and it revs freely. The basics are there, I just need to refresh the bits that make it handle.
I get the sense this will be the start of another car journey where you will get as much pleasure out of maintaining the car as you will racing it!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:55 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
That's nasty! What on earth were you looking for when you came across that monstrosity??
Apparantly this is a Porsche when you 'google' images?

I was actually looking for 'hot rod' Impact Bumper images this this came up.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
yep maybe not a lot more power but something small maybe, I've seen claims of 10hp. but never can believe that. one thing is for sure the noise is much more aggressive. good to have the spare primary if it ever gets too much.
The sound is addictive :-D

A big driving day. Auckland -.Drury - Pahoia - Hampton Downs - Auckland - Drury - Auckland. Thanks very much to Doug and Chris for making it happen on the day. BB is at Doug's place and the VTI-R is at mine. Initial impressions are mixed but positive. There is no doubt that BB drives better as is. The VTI-R rego ran out in 2012 and it feels like it was a bit unloved. I've got a fair bit of work to provide a solid driving platform. I'd say I'll be dismantling anything with rubber bushes and replacing bits. I'll also have to return things to OEM e.g. Exhaust. The good news is that the engine is a B18C and it revs freely. The basics are there, I just need to refresh the bits that make it handle.
Good news that the engine is the type you wanted. BB is parked in my driveway but the snob in me is going tho have her transferred to my secure work carpark where I have a spare space.

Got the bumper cover off Lola in the late afternoon. Bonus found with the RH shroud that goes under the oil cooler being salvageable with a tiny bit of plastic welding but the aircon fan motor support is broken a little. Another candidate for plastic welding.

Looking for a good plastic welder as I now have three parts to have a go at repairing this way. Any recommendations?

Also any recommendation for someone who can flush Jason's donated oil cooler? Would hate their to be some crap inside as the inlet/outlets haven't ben blocked up.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Good news that the engine is the type you wanted. BB is parked in my driveway but the snob in me is going tho have her transferred to my secure work carpark where I have a spare space. Got the bumper cover off Lola in the late afternoon. Bonus found with the RH shroud that goes under the oil cooler being salvageable with a tiny bit of plastic welding but the aircon fan motor support is broken a little. Another candidate for plastic welding. Looking for a good plastic welder as I now have three parts to have a go at repairing this way. Any recommendations? Also any recommendation for someone who can flush Jason's donated oil cooler? Would hate their to be some crap inside as the inlet/outlets haven't ben blocked up.
Doug, a 964 thread mentioned "Ambroid Weld" to do your own plastic repair. Apparently it's available at hobby shops overseas. I checked a local website and at least one Ambroid product was available but not that one. Maybe I didn't search far enough.

I forgot to mention that I regulated BB's temp in suburban traffic the old way i.e. using the heater. It worked well. I will get some wipers for the VTI-R and some spares for BB as well, because they are average as is.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I tried plastic welding several of our kayaks and all I got was very frustrated. An expert welder did a lovely job for only $25 each.

These need to end up as strong as new so I need them welded professionally IMO
Old 08-31-2014, 06:16 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Apparantly this is a Porsche when you 'google' images?

I was actually looking for 'hot rod' Impact Bumper images this this came up.
I'm not smart enough to dream something like that up. What's with googling impact bumper hod rods then?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

no doubt you guys have seen this before but with the attitude the locals here have towards their cars i'd thought i'd post it up

Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
no doubt you guys have seen this before but with the attitude the locals here have towards their cars i'd thought i'd post it up Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5-MoDUuRg
Hadn't seen it, is a great video. Fantastic garage as well!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yes - we've had great debates about whether 1 car can do it all, and the answer was no (unless you own a late model GT3).

Neil may have a different perspective on this given he is a GT3 owner and has just purchased a race car?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I get the sense this will be the start of another car journey where you will get as much pleasure out of maintaining the car as you will racing it!
Correct, I intend to 'own' this car from refurb through to racing. It's not going to see a mechanic - period. Albeit if Jono had been there at HD yesterday it would have been tempting to fall into old habits, give him the key and say 'build me a race car'.

Given time constraints I don't think the car will be on the track before Christmas. When it does appear, it will be sorted and ready to compete.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct, I intend to 'own' this car from refurb through to racing. It's not going to see a mechanic - period.
Locked and loaded in the Elephantine memory of RSG and Rennlist board and may be used against you at will over the next 6+ months LOL!

Im looking forward to hearing about steady Edy & Fungus track outings in the New Year. Infact I name 2015 the year of Fungus. And Steady edy is "the man who rides the Bogey".

Fungus and the Bogey Man BB & Fungus :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?