Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm liking these pics' too. This is what the car would look like minus the fugly rubber tail. I prefer the brown/black combo over brown/gold.......
Attached Images     
Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul take your time don't buy on a rebound. Plenty of 911s on the market and they always pop up. Networking through the club on the ones not on the market may make sense for you too....
That's how I found the 89 car..........

What you say makes sense, but since when has common sense got anything to do with it.

I should sell the 993 and go buy a Gen I 997 GT3, this probably makes the most sense, but where is the fun in that?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Thinking of doing a Dave-mobile - changing the colour and making it my dream 911 in lime green or mexico blue.........
Dont forget speed yellow on the greatest IB 991 or all time (picture below).

It will owe me a hundie, but will do all the things I want a Pcar to do.............
Paul. It is the Golden Fleece you are after? Or maybe you are a Tolkien man.. :-)

"One 911 to rule them all, One 911 to find them,
One 911 to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Miller where the Shadows lie...."
Old 09-01-2014, 11:36 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1ked
Doug if you haven't had your plastic welding fine yet I recommend the McCarthy boys at Plastics Constructions. They're on Fremlin Place, Avondale just across the road from my office.
Awesome, I don't have it jacked up yet. Was looking online last night so thanks for the referral.

I'm tyring to decide whether I could own a brown 911 (turd-mobile) The colour is 'copper metallic' Honest thoughts - what do you reckon??
Go for it. I like it. Brown/black not brown/gold.

Unique colours make it more individual
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

This is like sitting in the car in the kitty litter waiting for the other drivers to start joining you. It has an inevitability about it.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I should sell the 993 and go buy a Gen I 997 GT3, this probably makes the most sense, but where is the fun in that?
Yeah. Nothing we do with these cars makes much sense to anyone else. Only consolation is pretty much everyone here is a member of the same funny farm, so you can get away with being illogical, and we will always cheer you on!

Once you get it out of your system the fun in owning a (for example) $140K 997.1 GT3RS is in the driving. This is where Ive moved to - helped largely by a lack of time in NZ and space and the personal desire to have a less cluttered life. I often think Ron & Pasty have it right in this regard. They are the most moneyed in our group yet they dont bother with collecting relics for collecting sake, they buy a machine and they use it. They spend all their car time/money actually doing events and squeezing every ounce out of their cars. Sure they may buy them new but they have un interrupted low headache smiles for 6 years and sell them (well) used. The affliction of collecting and garage queening affects the poor enthusiast and the super wealthy only. The sweet spot is likely in between.

For a guy like you (busy with business, young family etc) I cant help but think an old IB that needs constant attention and a freshly minted/painted 993 is the recipe for a life of bills an angst. You love driving these cars more than you love cleaning them and you love looking at them in the garage second only to driving them. You have an itch to scratch so go scratch it I reckon but at some point dont deny yourself the car Porsche built especially for guys like you - something reliable, track proven and gorgeous - a single machine you can jump into for a spirited Sunday Ron drive, a weekend at the track without headache and which some young fella will get a hard on over at the Porsche annual Xmas function in the park...

P.S. No offence was meant in telling it to you straight buddy :-)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

My old C3 doesn't have the orginal engine (has SC engine now).

Craig has my old C3 looking very sharp these days...............

This car has lower miles and original engine and gear box.

Thinking of doing a Dave-mobile - changing the colour and making it my dream 911 in lime green or mexico blue.........It will owe me a hundie, but will do all the things I want a Pcar to do.............

I look forward to seeing Dave's car, as I think the personalised Sunday driver R Gruppe car is something I need to tick off the bucket list.
You do, and we need a bit more spice in the Gruppe with some weird personalised stuff.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Phil, I just thought that there are a few RSG members who don't hang out on this forum who probably don't know about the 7th. Like Ron and Patsy, Nigel et al. Do you want to open it to them or keep it to the RL hard core? Pete can fire emails to the whole group. Over to you tho.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

good news!
1 set of brake pads has arrived today.
I'll bring them + the brake fluid on the 7th.
John, Doug whats your plan regarding the rear pads?
Do you want to change the special Jono race fluid for new TRD?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralf G
good news! 1 set of brake pads has arrived today. I'll bring them + the brake fluid on the 7th. John, Doug whats your plan regarding the rear pads? Do you want to change the special Jono race fluid for new TRD?
Ralf, I'll go to Repco and buy some rear pads. We also need some new wipers. I'll see what she brakes like with new pads. If a bit squishy I'll bleed them. Not sure if I will completely flush the system. Great they arrived anyway. See you Sunday.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks like the RSG site may be down again....
Old 09-02-2014, 01:42 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BB - everybody combined theoretical best lap down to 1:24.289

Originally Posted by mjg
Optimal lap time out of everyone's segments today is 1:25.308. There's a goal for you all!
Just recalculated Black Beauty's theoretical best lap combining everyone's runs to the end of August (except a few of Matt's runs maybe - I used the combined run files John supplied but they didn't have Matt's best time so I think he used his own AIM). Same weeding out of any suspect splits as before (see below). It now gives a combined theoretical best of 1:24.289.

Name:  BB Theoretical best lap after August runs combined.gif
Views: 111
Size:  2.4 KB

Looks like there's still a fair bit of room yet for all of us to get faster in her.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Hey Matt, turns out I kind of met that goal, but only in a similarly theoretical way. The leaderboard rules, but here's some similar bench racing.

Finally found a download cable for Tony's AIM and pulled my Saturday runs into RaceStudio 2 (left the files on there for Tony to do his own later) and found the theoretical best for just mine was a 1:25.171.

That was after deleting all my 'first laps' and other garbage which had a couple of weird artefacts (gave a 1.13.668 theoretical LOL) then checking that the remaining fastest splits married up OK with the next fastest. Also checked the split before and after each of the fastest ones was a decent time, to make sure I didn't accidentally include any banzai runs into corners at the cost of exit speeds for instance.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Just recalculated Black Beauty's theoretical best lap combining everyone's runs to the end of August (except a few of Matt's runs maybe - I used the combined run files John supplied but they didn't have Matt's best time so I think he used his own AIM). Same weeding out of any suspect splits as before (see below). It now gives a combined theoretical best of 1:24.289. Looks like there's still a fair bit of room yet for all of us to get faster in her.
I didn't give you Matt's data as I need to find his email to me and forward it on. Although not sure how much it will change the outcome. I'm still a bit wary of the analysis as with 220 laps you'd expect someone to be nailing a big lap. Maybe it will be me on 4/10
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I didn't give you Matt's data as I need to find his email to me and forward it on. Although not sure how much it will change the outcome. I'm still a bit wary of the analysis as with 220 laps you'd expect someone to be nailing a big lap. Maybe it will be me on 4/10
The pattern seems to be that the more her brakes wear out, the better the lap times get. Maybe you could take one for the team and run her with no pads fitted at all, just to see what she's really capable of!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:20 AM
PHG
Racer

Doug
Given I am hardly hard core, if you/Pete/others feel another 6-8 people deserve 2 hours of Porsche TV **** and endless Porsche Prattle. . then by all means invite them
I find around 30 pax is comfy otherwise we start tripping over without alcoholic impetus and we are at 22..especially if the weather is a bit naff!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?