Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm a fairly conservative chap and the thought of owning more than one Porsche never seriously crossed my mind until I hung out with you lot. Now that I've finally got the missus away from small euro manual hatchbacks into SUV type family cars, my DD no longer needs to be a 4 door luxobarge with a towbar......And There could be just the slimmest chance that I will soften up on tiptronics but I never said that. 993 tip, 997 tip? But then you have to look past the M3's, 335i's and RS5's and the like first which are pretty compelling DD propositions.
Dave. Thats just the problem. If you have a budget of say 30-35K max there are a tonne of interesting DD options out there. E46 M3 comes to mind. So does a 08 C63AMG (prices are falling like a rock) then you have early B7 S4 not to mention you a buy a v10 M5 for 35K these days (one went last week for less ion TM $1 reserve!). 2008 B7 RS4 late 40s now. Problem with anything pre 2006 is its getting old and will need money spent as was original hi ticket hardware. Ive been trawling the market for ideas 30-35K and then 45K+ (with Sean) and theres alot of hardware out there fighting for your money. To be honest a 964/993 tipo probably wouldnt stack up well against any of this metal from a performance or practical point of view and would still throw you a 10K bill here and there. Your porsche ownership experience has been a blessed one so far - your 993 was a minter and you barely used it which means you didnt experience any large $$$ and same with your 964 which you managed to dodge any big mechanicals or armcos on. Confucious says you have been a lucky 911 owner to date a ropey 911 tipo may swing the ying and yang the other way for you :-)

Last edited by Macca; 09-03-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Moths to a flame
Old 09-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. Thats just the problem. If you have a budget of say 30-35K max there are a tonne of interesting DD options out there. E46 M3 comes to mind. So does a 08 C63AMG (prices are falling like a rock) then you have early B7 S4 not to mention you a buy a v10 M5 for 35K these days (one went last week for less ion TM $1 reserve!). 2008 B7 RS4 late 40s now. Problem with anything pre 2006 is its getting old and will need money spent as was original hi ticket hardware. Ive been trawling the market for ideas 30-35K and then 45K+ (with Sean) and theres alot of hardware out there fighting for your money. To be honest a 964/993 tipo probably wouldnt stack up well against any of this metal from a performance or practical point of view and would still throw you a 10K bill here and there. Your porsche ownership experience has been a blessed one so far - your 993 was a minter and you barely used it which means you didnt experience any large $$$ and same with your 964 which you managed to dodge any big mechanicals or armcos on. Confucious says you have been a lucky 911 owner to date a ropey 911 tipo may swing the ying and yang the other way for you :-)
Yeah, in reality when I chop in the current one it will most likely be for another but an Audi is becoming tempting, a bit cautious on the DSG mechatronic unit - still a bit of fallout happening there.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If you are not adverse to buy a DD with two seats you can pick a 2006 S up for under 40K!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-715169740.htm
Old 09-03-2014, 01:47 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Has been on Trademe for a long time, could probably get it for mid 30's if you were persuasive enough. I was initially looking at a Cayman S about 1 year ago, but got tempted by that damn $1 reserve auction! So glad I did

I think you should branch out, and pick up something like this:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=769299142
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 AM
JenSP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know this 930 in Auckland area ?

Hi all - I've had a 930 itch to scratch for a long time although 993's are the business Does anyone know this platinum coloured 930 from the Auckland area ? asking $65k for 200 thou km on the clock ! I think its been on the market quietly for some time. It's an '84 brought to NZ in '87. The reality is that's serious 993 money - but similar pricing to UK where old turbos seem to start at GBP30k despite mileage if condition good.

Assuming a clear PPI I guess this would be priced to sell at $45k ?

Interesting colour too in light of recent comments re gold and brown. A friend had one in this years ago and looked great on the wide body.

cheers
Attached Images    
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If you are not adverse to buy a DD with two seats you can pick a 2006 S up for under 40K! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-715169740.htm
If you bought one of these machines it definitely does not need to be tippo for DD. The 6 speed gearbox and light clutch are butter smooth and a lot of satisfaction even in heavy traffic. And, when you are in the twisties is a real blast. Also because they're rarer in manual are less likely to drop in value like lead, more like pummace.

Have fun thinking about all this.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JenSP
Hi all - I've had a 930 itch to scratch for a long time although 993's are the business Does anyone know this platinum coloured 930 from the Auckland area ? asking $65k for 200 thou km on the clock ! I think its been on the market quietly for some time. It's an '84 brought to NZ in '87. The reality is that's serious 993 money - but similar pricing to UK where old turbos seem to start at GBP30k despite mileage if condition good.

Assuming a clear PPI I guess this would be priced to sell at $45k ?

Interesting colour too in light of recent comments re gold and brown. A friend had one in this years ago and looked great on the wide body.

cheers
So can you buy it for $45K? - bit confussed?

I think I know of this car - comes with lots or receipts, so probably a good one to buy. 930's are heavy and dosile to drive - you need to like this driving feeling as they are like driving a 928 in a 911 body - the opposite of light and nimble.

930 bills are also double that of a 911, so get ready to go to an all new cost of ownership dimension............

I liked the oak green 930 that was on TM about 12 months ago.

Ian Knotts knows of a gun metal grey 930 with cream interior.

http://www.rsconsulting.co.nz/cars/1.../1981-930.html

Photos don't do it justice. I have seen this car in the flesh over the years and it's a beast with the black rubbers and charcoal paint finish.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Email from Mike at ProSport explaining blue disc discolouration that had Dean and I puzzeled most of the week. Also go lucky with Carwell racing having the replacement bearing we needed for the Rennline Kinnematic arm. Rennline are shipping me some spared by Fedex but say that the play experienced is highly unusual so will be shipping the offending FK bearing back to the manufacturer for analysis. Seems they should infact last a long long time. Just my luck! Last issue to surface was a flat Odyssey PC925 Gel Cell battery. Ive known its on the way out for a while (4 years old but rarely charged and no doubt see alot of partial drain from when the car is always in the shop!). Not cheap at over $500 but small and light and to date reliable. Oil has been changed in gearbox/diff and showed the typical debris from new aggressive diff plates (good precaution to change oil shortly after a rebuild to flush contaminants). Alignment/geo is looking much better now and should use the 40mm front and 20mm rear inside tyre that was apparently not getting any use at HD in July.

Im glad I got the 993 looked at before the NITT. There always seems to be something. Its the gift that keeps on taking!

Anyway here is what Mike at ProSport said and the picture of the discs that had us puzzelled...

"Thanks for getting in touch.
The initial “brake smell” is normal for the initial bed-in process. It’s the gasses being expelled from the compound. The bed-in process cures the compound and applies and heat and pressure cycle on the pads.
The blue layer is the friction transfer layer from the pad onto the disc. This means the bed-in process has been done correctly.
The reason it’s not a consistent colour across the disc face (annulus) is because of the temperature differential across the face of the disc.
It looks like it’s run hotter in the middle than at the outer edges.

Long story short – they are perfectly fine and ready for the track!"
Attached Images    
Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
If you bought one of these machines it definitely does not need to be tippo for DD. The 6 speed gearbox and light clutch are butter smooth and a lot of satisfaction even in heavy traffic. And, when you are in the twisties is a real blast. Also because they're rarer in manual are less likely to drop in value like lead, more like pummace.

Have fun thinking about all this.
Good points Doug. However I suspect that's why this unit is under $40K. Its not manual and its not even PDK so price reflects that given scarcity of manuals vs tippos.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:42 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So Macca, the conclusion is that the bedding in process (on road) was not really sufficient to do it properly and it was finished off on the track?
Similar to my experience trying to bed in Targa pads. Always very strong pad smell after the first stage when pads changed out no matter what I try to do to bed in on road. Just can't get enough heat into them to do it properly.

Went to the Wellington launch of 991 Targa last night and questioned the EMD Porsche GM there about the Cayman gt4. He says it's happening and with a 400hp 991 S motor.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - I saw a white 991 GT3 in Silverdale this avo. Was this your car or another one?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Graeme. I never bedded the brakes before the track. Picked it up from the lock up with Dave drove to the track on the motorway then the first time they got used in anger was probably turn one at end of first lap.

I looked at the telemetrics and the 993 was only a few tenths of a G under the GT3 on the critical brake points. If that. The SFR + larger brakes, larger callipers and MX72 pads certainly seemed to work very well. There was a noticeable improvement to pedal feel over the previous set up and I could feel they gripped quicker and harder. I think Manfield will be a great place to try them out :-).

Im surprised Greg let on re the "GT4". The internet is rife with speculation. All I know from my guy is "under 400, atmo, PDK, 20" wheels, approx 1350kg". I suspect it will be called "Cayman R" and I am hoping it will come with manual shift as an option. If so I will place an order immediately and design a trip around it. This will be the last atmo Cayman after that will be four bangers with hair driers. Euro6 & LEV II/III will screw everything down for volume sports cars in the next few years i suspect...
Old 09-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - I saw a white 991 GT3 in Silverdale this avo. Was this your car or another one?
Hi Mate. Not mine. There is one other white one in Auckland. Infact I think Higgs ordered a white one and was due for delivery soon so there could be three now. To the best of my knowledge 8 delivered now in NZ plus mine....
Old 09-03-2014, 06:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

When does Ron get his?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?