Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, congrats on the C2. Better in black but there's no accounting for taste.

Re Stereo's a cheap option if you can source one is the HU out of a 996 which I have in my C4. Looks very compatible with the old dash and the sound is pretty good when paired with a decent set of speakers, and was only about $150 on TM. I shopped around and eventually found a speakers that fit perfectly into the stock mounts rear and tweeters, then up sized the fronts and screwed straight into the door frame; I think it was 6.5".

If you want to spend a little more the Becker Grand Prix looks very period and has extra features like iPod connection (cable sold separately), phone hands free. These can be pretty $$ but I got one landed from ebay germany for under a grand and chucked in Mr Blue. Top end HU.

Then there's the stereo delete option leaving the flat six symphony...
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Doug, congrats on the C2. Better in black but there's no accounting for taste. Re Stereo's a cheap option if you can source one is the HU out of a 996 which I have in my C4. Looks very compatible with the old dash and the sound is pretty good when paired with a decent set of speakers, and was only about $150 on TM. I shopped around and eventually found a speakers that fit perfectly into the stock mounts rear and tweeters, then up sized the fronts and screwed straight into the door frame; I think it was 6.5". If you want to spend a little more the Becker Grand Prix looks very period and has extra features like iPod connection (cable sold separately), phone hands free. These can be pretty $$ but I got one landed from ebay germany for under a grand and chucked in Mr Blue. Top end HU. Then there's the stereo delete option leaving the flat six symphony...
Jason, you can prove your point on 9 March. Five 964s so far coming in from Langs beach. 3 white, 1 red and one black.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm. 964 prices don't really seem to be strengthening in NZ much compared to UK do they. This car would be 12-14K GBP in UK. I guess its an arbitrage opportunity but at this level wouldnt be worth the time and effort hence the reason 964s arent being exported in general.

Jason has some good ideas for head units Doug. Other option is I have a 10 year old like new in box El Chameleon JVC headunit that works very well in the 964/993 as its just a black faceplate when closed. Im pretty sure I also have some speakers that will work on the rear shelf. All can be had cheap as I need to make space...here it is in my 993 at the end of 2001. Things have changed in the last 12+ years!
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Macca, what's the little white gadget under the ashtray?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jason. That's a turn of the Millennium pre iPhone Samsung Yelp MP3 player. I was consulting/contracting as GM for Samsung (computers/panels etc) at the time and a korean gave it to me as a gift. Was rubbish. Better prensent was a few years later when I was given the Kenwood CD-01 audiophone head unit (gold output plugs, 1 bit burr brown dac, sperate power supply, one button pre amp by pass etc. That unit is still in my car and I love it. I only listen to CD in the 993. Infact Ive never listened to MP3 in a car until the GT3 and I though the sound was rubbish but it may have been the compression of the files on my iphone (or the crap stereo in the GT3 - even though I had it upgraded to the 230W 10 speaker jobbie still crap!).
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Jason. That's a turn of the Millennium pre iPhone Samsung Yelp MP3 player. I was consulting/contracting as GM for Samsung (computers/panels etc) at the time and a korean gave it to me as a gift. Was rubbish. Better prensent was a few years later when I was given the Kenwood CD-01 audiophone head unit (gold output plugs, 1 bit burr brown dac, sperate power supply, one button pre amp by pass etc. That unit is still in my car and I love it. I only listen to CD in the 993. Infact Ive never listened to MP3 in a car until the GT3 and I though the sound was rubbish but it may have been the compression of the files on my iphone (or the crap stereo in the GT3 - even though I had it upgraded to the 230W 10 speaker jobbie still crap!).
Compression and sampling rates are often the issue.

At home we have simple amps connected to good speakers, fed by Bluetooth receivers connected to iPhones and iPads. http://www.qed.co.uk/wireless_blueto..._receiver.html

The sound quality on classical music is very good to my ears at least.

In the car, the first kilo I saved was the cd changer. I think it's a huge effort to get good music in a loud car and not worth it. The 996 TT is quietish so it works.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. We are the same at home. Yes I assume its a compression issue. To be honest I bought a new 16GB iPod touch thingy on the way to Zurich for the GT3 and loaded only what I had on an old machine to it so I suspect they could have been low bitrate. The surprice was I expected it to sound bette rthan the 993. The 993 isnt bad at all given the compromises. A good heat unit and speakers help but I dont have a CD changer or component amp for weight reasons you understand LOL!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug,

Some T shirt ideas from the 964 board.
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Guys, there has been an accident at HD Chris lost his brakes in turn 1. He is fine, but the C4 needs some love. He asked me to post this.
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Guys, there has been an accident at HD Chris lost his brakes in turn 1. He is fine, but the C4 needs some love. He asked me to post this.
That's terrible - I just drove past there thinking if I had time to call in. Thanks for letting us know he is ok but that is just awful re the car.

I guess we'll hear more in due course but for now just really happy he is in one piece.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
That's terrible - I just drove past there thinking if I had time to call in. Thanks for letting us know he is ok but that is just awful re the car. I guess we'll hear more in due course but for now just really happy he is in one piece.
Two things this has brought forward for me:

1. Get a HANS device

2. Get insurance.

This could have been any of us. So glad Chris isn't hurt. He can dine out on the story for a while..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

And add a third (although we are pretty well aware of it) - check brakes. Hoses, fluid, pads, hydraulics. Am pretty sure Chris would have so very keen to hear diagnosis.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And add a third (although we are pretty well aware of it) - check brakes. Hoses, fluid, pads, hydraulics. Am pretty sure Chris would have so very keen to hear diagnosis.
Chatting with him via text last weekend. He has ATE Gold fluid and Mintex Pads. Fluid was new six months ago.

Also going to reinstall my spare wheel.

Chris is off for a scan at Middlemore. Just a precaution. His helmet hit something in the car.

He will get a HANS device. Absolutely on my shopping list no matter if it is just Playday.

Robyn Riding has one in a 924 for Regularity trial. It may not have helped with her accident in the tyres but I'm convinced we're all more at risk than we think.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
arrrggghh crap. sorry to see this Chris. hope you're ok mate.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

That's terrible. i'm trying to picture whereabouts in relation to turn 1 that is? Any ideas. Is the dirt some recent construction? The damage looks worse than hitting the dirt pile? Really sorry to see your fine car like that Chris.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?