Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by esonefour
So a GL5 75w90 any particular flavour I was going to try Kendall as my dad rates it in his drag car,
have read that people would rather use bacon fat than redline. Most of my gearbox parts are here I just need to pull the trigger.
50 buck semi fix would be great.
Shannon, Mike's suggestion is as good as any.

I reckon the Middle East countries have more chance of agreement than a group of petrol heads talking about engine oil, transmission oil, brake pads, brake fluid and tyres. To make it worse there are 'enablers' out there fanning the flames.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Here's Dan showing me a synchro working. I'd love to get him to give a proper talk on this. Personally I can't see how a different oil will make a poorly functioning synchro better when it's job is to slow the gear down to mesh
Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 AM
esonefour
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pagid blues ,R888s and Penrite dot4
Drained the box and pretty much zero fuzz around the magnets. Will grab something tomorrow and can always put the smurf oil back in.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Here's Dan showing me a synchro working. I'd love to get him to give a proper talk on this. Personally I can't see how a different oil will make a poorly functioning synchro better when it's job is to slow the gear down to mesh
Believe it or not but it does, proven it 3 times now.
Once had a Mitsi Pajero which was undriveable, would catch every gear up to 4th changing up or down.
Redline 250wt shockproof oil in that sucker and good as gold, most recently had mate with a 08 Polo GTI would catch 2nd unless shifted with a big pause between gears, same oil drove like a new car.............he couldn't believe it.
Not saying this is a permanent fix but oil does make a huge difference.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Believe it or not but it does, proven it 3 times now. Once had a Mitsi Pajero which was undriveable, would catch every gear up to 4th changing up or down. Redline 250wt shockproof oil in that sucker and good as gold, most recently had mate with a 08 Polo GTI would catch 2nd unless shifted with a big pause between gears, same oil drove like a new car.............he couldn't believe it. Not saying this is a permanent fix but oil does make a huge difference.
Pity it didn't work as well in the 964

Btw I finished the engine tonight. Valve covers on, engine tin and heat shields fitted. A spanner check tomorrow night then I'll deal to the Cat. 10 easy HP there.

Last edited by John McM; 12-07-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Had a trawl through the Early 911 FB page today. Looks like a great little local home brew community. Good spirit and some interesting cars. Love some of the ST/RSR/IROC style replicas. As I said they dont fit int my lifestyle at least not right now, but they are quite fun to look at.

Looking through the photos from the Milford Xmas the cars that interested me most were the "hot rods". Really like Shannons RUF replica and on the modern front the 997 GTS looked really nice.

Last edited by Macca; 12-07-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:41 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only just came across this photo essay of the '15 Porsche reunion on Stanceworks. I periodically cruise the site for its eye candy. Andrew Ritter is one of my favourite car snappers along with Sean Klingelhoefer and Linhbergh although there styles are more commercial

http://www.stanceworks.com/2015/10/p...-reunion-2015/

Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great link Warwick. Man those pictures really capture the atmosphere! We need to organise a Rennsport Reunion VI visit with some RSG boys next year. Definitely a bucket list event!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sharing is caring.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Engine all but finished (four bolts in heat shield to add).
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think the box will last longer when non contaminated oil is used...
Absolutely. Keeping oil clean is the best way of improving gearbox life!

Here's an analysis I did on bearing life versus load and filtration "quality".
Better filtration allows you to run higher loads for the same life expectancy.

(gears and bearings behave similarly)

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  66.9 KB

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Some years ago I purchased a 964/993RS front hood strut stick (removed the need for the front hood shocks). The hood shocks at front and rear way 350grams a pair. So 700 grams front and rear. Its not the weight that is the issue just the fact that they fail over time (Im on my second set after 15 years), that they are relatively expensive (for what they are) and are a PITA to remove and refit (with their circlips).

Over the years the RS front hood stick has sat in my storage shed reminding me one day when the existing struts loose their oomph I need to fit this. Unfortunately it requires riveting to the front hood (as the factory did with the 96 & 993 RS).

Ive been thinking of other alternatives (as I don't like non reversible modifications to carriage work).

Today I purchased a Seine systems front + rear assembly (the factory never made one). Its designed for the 993/964 (heavier rear lids due to electric spoiler - thus beefed up build) and has a carbon rod with a nice heime jointed end. Can be fitted without drilling using factory existing mounting holes. Seine systems in CA make them and Ive been meaning to bag them for years. A USA Youshop opportunity to freight came up with some clothes my wife purchased so that was all the excuse needed. $50 USD fr the rear. Not sure when I will fit it...here is the rear one, pictures of the front to follow shortly...
Attached Images     
Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike. Interesting graph. Really a no brainer. If its being used on the track/Targa or under load change the gearbox oil minimum annually with the engine oil. Reminds me, I need t add that to the 993 service sheet for Feb!

John. Looking good! The engine is now looking worthy of the car! Looks like you will be n the road before Xmas!

Are those Daves valve covers fitted? If so give us an update and some piccies...
Old 12-07-2015, 08:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Interesting graph. Really a no brainer. If its being used on the track/Targa or under load change the gearbox oil minimum annually with the engine oil. Reminds me, I need t add that to the 993 service sheet for Feb!

John. Looking good! The engine is now looking worthy of the car! Looks like you will be n the road before Xmas!

Are those Daves valve covers fitted? If so give us an update and some piccies...
I've booked in for a WOF pre Xmas so I'm optimistic of a running car by the 19th. There might be surprises yet, but as each assembly is sorted that reduces.

No, they are the original covers, but powder coated. Dave's CNC shop has a pre Xmas rush and couldn't be sure of the timeframe. I need the engine ready for this weekend's install and even if they arrived tonight I couldn't anodise them in time.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I've booked in for a WOF pre Xmas so I'm optimistic of a running car by the 19th. There might be surprises yet, but as each assembly is sorted that reduces.

No, they are the original covers, but powder coated. Dave's CNC shop has a pre Xmas rush and couldn't be sure of the timeframe. I need the engine ready for this weekend's install and even if they arrived tonight I couldn't anodise them in time.
I like the "faded red". Almost looks crackle finished in the photos and reminiscent of 80s Ferrari's...

Here is the attachment for the front "Ultimate Strut". Fits to factory position 964/993 and is beefy enough for steel lids. $40 USD.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?