Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Being a bit of a late comer here I don't have the full story here but I see a couple of members spend some time working in the islands, do you mind if I ask what you do up there? The economies of our neighbouring islands are a bit of an interest to me.
I visit our Pacific Neighbours on a reasonably regular basis. I check out whether their lending follows bank standards.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Does anyone have a good line on flat-top jacks similar to the ESCO units so popular on Rennlist? I have a sturdy set of axle jacks that don't really fit well. Might look to have them modified at a fabricator as an alternative.
Originally Posted by John McM
In short, been there looked around and have found nothing. Double the Pelican price to get them to NZ. Should have put some in your container! I'm keen on a group buy if we can find an effective shipping option. In the meantime I use two race jacks and put a spare wheel under the car in case one lets loose.
I've just gone through this process as well. Climbing under the car freaks me out at the best of times

I wish we had the rent-a-bay setup's like they have in the US and Europe. http://www.jackjunkies.com/ My father in-law uses one in his wee town in the french alps and loves it

John, I noticed in a pic you posted a while ago you used a disc on your trolley-jack for lifting your '64 Turbo . I know guys on RL have used hockey pucks for lifting from the engine. What did you use?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 PM
mjg
Pro

I have a front RHS 225/45 17 sitting in my garage. You are welcome to use/take it. Just run it backwards. I did that when I first put my current ones on the car, the World didn't end (just anticipating noise about dangers of stretching a tyre both ways).
Z221s are symmetric and directional... why not install it the correct way?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Z221s are symmetric and directional... why not install it the correct way?
Good thinking. Maybe I can swap over my existing Z221s to get more life out of them.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John, I noticed in a pic you posted a while ago you used a disc on your trolley-jack for lifting your '64 Turbo . I know guys on RL have used hockey pucks for lifting from the engine. What did you use?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-JACK...75267e&vxp=mtr

There are pluses and minuses to these. Plus is that they locate firmly and lift the jack away from the plastic sills (I think many sills are broken by poor placement). Minus is that they add another slipping point. I use mine at all times but am very careful to have them centered. I also use a race jack with a rubber mount and a large surface area. I read about hockey pucks but they are not easy to find in NZ.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Lastly, I NEVER rely on the jacks alone. I put a track wheel under the sill, just in case. Better that the car is damaged then my limbs.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I understand you can buy pucks from

https://centreice.co.nz and http://www.locker.co.nz/
Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Does anyone have a good line on flat-top jacks similar to the ESCO units so popular on Rennlist? I have a sturdy set of axle jacks that don't really fit well. Might look to have them modified at a fabricator as an alternative.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...jack-stand.jpg
I've been following this thread out of interest. These stands look very good:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ackstands.html
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Being a bit of a late comer here I don't have the full story here but I see a couple of members spend some time working in the islands, do you mind if I ask what you do up there? The economies of our neighbouring islands are a bit of an interest to me.
We moved to the islands to invest in businesses and property. In the last few years that has pretty much wound up and we now live here for lifestyle and a tax (free) base for our offshore investments.

Two days ago we watched a pod of approximately 12 dolphins playing a few meters off the front of our property. Usually Id get in and swim with them (they are very curious and love to play if you have a ball). However the water is 25C at the moment and a bit "chilly" by local standards so I abstained. They hung around for about an hour eyeing us up on the shore. Its moments like these, a great carefree social life, plenty of adventures and drama and an appreciation of life in general (that we are so lucky compared to many others) that keeps us here. There are frustrations, especially when you rely on the place for a living, but as you peel those issues away you are left with a huge quality of life and a whole "first world" to explore and appreciate even more when you are doing so. Wouldn't have it any other way today (things can change tomorrow of course!). We really are very lucky. I never take that for-granted as becomes often the custom in the "developed world".
Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a front RHS 225/45 17 sitting in my garage. You are welcome to use/take it. Just run it backwards. I did that when I first put my current ones on the car, the World didn't end (just anticipating noise about dangers of stretching a tyre both ways).
Thanks for the offer John. Looking at buying 2 x Toyo 888 for the front - there doesn't appear to be an elegant solution at this stage.

Maybe I should just run roadies and have some fun with the 964 boys. Could be an enjoyable day mixing it with you guys (give you lads the sniff of a 993 kill.......)

Or I could buy 214's - run fresh tyres and see if they really are a second a lap quicker?? I think the rain forecast will put that plan on hold??
Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I just looked at a pic of the speedo, its in km's.
Cheers.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

No problem. Break your BB cherry and post a time. A day's entertainment assured for anyone giving it a go. Leave your AIM with Dave and I'll breach your IT skill gap and tell you where you have made time since Feb and may still be losing it.

As a plus, I think I can make my Z221s stretch through to the SITT if I swap them from side to side.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
We moved to the islands to invest in businesses and property. In the last few years that has pretty much wound up and we now live here for lifestyle and a tax (free) base for our offshore investments.

Two days ago we watched a pod of approximately 12 dolphins playing a few meters off the front of our property. Usually Id get in and swim with them (they are very curious and love to play if you have a ball). However the water is 25C at the moment and a bit "chilly" by local standards so I abstained. They hung around for about an hour eyeing us up on the shore. Its moments like these, a great carefree social life, plenty of adventures and drama and an appreciation of life in general (that we are so lucky compared to many others) that keeps us here. There are frustrations, especially when you rely on the place for a living, but as you peel those issues away you are left with a huge quality of life and a whole "first world" to explore and appreciate even more when you are doing so. Wouldn't have it any other way today (things can change tomorrow of course!). We really are very lucky. I never take that for-granted as becomes often the custom in the "developed world".
I Didn't think you actually worked (or had to work)?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I Didn't think you actually worked (or had to work)?
Correct. 8 years ago yes but today I no longer have to.

IMO just run the RE11s on the 18's on Sat. They will add 3-4s to your time but save you the hassle till you can decide on a full set strategy for NITT. If the Z221 arent available you should consider 214 (dedicated track only) or NT01?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Maybe I should just run roadies and have some fun with the 964 boys. Could be an enjoyable day mixing it with you guys (give you lads the sniff of a 993 kill.......)
Now you're talking. Lola is getting new front control arm bushes and a more track oriented alignment. Don't want to push that too far as I still do a fair bit of road work in her (now 10,000km since Feb).

Looking forward to Saturday and, if I'm not stuffed, a Ron drive on Sunday

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?