Old 07-31-2021, 05:35 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Originally Posted by tom__w
Sam the man
Yes.

Just installed Version 3; the car now hits like SDEMatt's hybrid K16s do down low, in fact it caught me off guard a little. The hesitation appears to be gone, now off to find a highway...

Old 07-31-2021, 11:11 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, highway - YES!!!

If this is what K24s can do, I want bigger K24s.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:50 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 327 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Ok, highway - YES!!!

If this is what K24s can do, I want bigger K24s.
Are they hybrid K24's?
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 07-31-2021, 11:55 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Stock X50 K24.

But now I want, more...
Old 08-01-2021, 01:36 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The hybrids are a whole different ballgame. You will be very happy should you decide to upgrade the wheels. You will require more fuel and a very good clutch.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:07 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Check, and, check.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:12 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Stock X50 K24.

But now I want, more...
I bought a set of k24s to be made hybrid. Should have them back in about 3 months. Then I will be able to compare K16 hybrid to K24 hybrid. I pretty excited…
Old 08-01-2021, 04:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I have to say I absolutely love the way my K16's perform with my Cobb tune. The pull like a freight train with lots of torque and almost no lag, extremely linear and smooth. For mountain twisties, I absolutely would not trade off their linearity, lower RPM torque and low lag for more power up high.

Now if your in to long pulls, 1/4, 1/2, or other straight line speed objectives, different story. But other 996 Turbo owners with X50 turbos or other modified turbos jump in and drifves my car on a canyon run and 100% of the time come back majorly surprised and with a huge grin. It's drives far more like a GT3 (but with a few hundred extra horsepower) than a somewhat laggy stock X50 car.

Note I'm specifically talking about driving in the twisties, mountain passes, canyons, etc, and I drive at 5,000'-10,000' altitude consistently. Drive my car around town and you might think it is nothing special... Heavy GT2 cluitch, fast, but not all that remarkable for a Turbo, not all that enlightened. But give that same driver the keys on a fun Sunday drive, and the super precise clutch, snick-snick gearbox, having to typically having to lift throttle because you accelerated to the next curve so freaking fast, and they have a much different perspective.

I'm sure some custom hybrids or perfectly sized Tial's could also deliver this feeling, perhaps even more so... But when I drive mine, the last thing I'm thinking when I'm heading home after tearing up canyons is "I wish I had more power"...

(but I sure would like a set of Recaro's to hold me in place a bit better! )

Last edited by pfbz; 08-01-2021 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
THP23 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
But when I drive mine, the last thing I'm thinking when I'm heading home after tearing up canyons is "I wish I had more power"...
+1
Old 08-01-2021, 07:28 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

I have to say I absolutely love the way my K16's perform with my Cobb tune. The pull like a freight train with lots of torque and almost no lag, extremely linear and smooth. For mountain twisties, I absolutely would not trade off their linearity, lower RPM torque and low lag for more power up high.

Now if your in to long pulls, 1/4, 1/2, or other straight line speed objectives, different story. But other 996 Turbo owners with X50 turbos or other modified turbos jump in and drifves my car on a canyon run and 100% of the time come back majorly surprised and with a huge grin. It's drives far more like a GT3 (but with a few hundred extra horsepower) than a somewhat laggy stock X50 car.

Note I'm specifically talking about driving in the twisties, mountain passes, canyons, etc, and I drive at 5,000'-10,000' altitude consistently. Drive my car around town and you might think it is nothing special... Heavy GT2 cluitch, fast, but not all that remarkable for a Turbo, not all that enlightened. But give that same driver the keys on a fun Sunday drive, and the super precise clutch, snick-snick gearbox, having to typically having to lift throttle because you accelerated to the next curve so freaking fast, and they have a much different perspective.

I'm sure some custom hybrids or perfectly sized Tial's could also deliver this feeling, perhaps even more so... But when I drive mine, the last thing I'm thinking when I'm heading home after tearing up canyons is "I wish I had more power"...

I get it, completely. But here in TX, I do a lot more highway pulls than I do twisty roads. But when I do, the snap of the torque can be dangerous. I know that can be tuned out, but with a hybrid k24, I feel like I can have the best of both worlds and be safer on my rods.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's, 'snickety, snickety' up north....

Old 08-02-2021, 01:03 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
I bought a set of k24s to be made hybrid. Should have them back in about 3 months. Then I will be able to compare K16 hybrid to K24 hybrid. I pretty excited…
I am curious to read your thoughts once you have a chance to compare. I went from K16's to K16's with tune to K16 hybrids to K24 hybrids. Mostly mountain roads and twisty country roads. IMO, each upgrade was better and more fun. With the K24 hybrids, you need full supporting mods to make them shine. Such as a larger fresh air intake plenum and larger turbo feed tubes, 2.5" in/out IC's, 2.5" Y-Pipe, all 2.5" boost hoses, larger injectors, 76mm TB/plenum combo and a second in-line 044 fuel pump. With supporting mods like this, I experienced virtually no lag and relentless power. The car trapped higher than a stock 991.2 turbo, which is a very quick car. A stock K24/X50 car, even with a tune can not compare to a properly set up K24 hybrid car, as it will have much more lag. The supporting mods are the key to instant response and substantial power. The person that bought my former 996TT has had a lot of very fast cars and he is blown away by the quick power delivery and how strongly and prolonged it pulls on demand. Good luck with your experiment, Linwood!
diverzeusy (08-07-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:11 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
I get it, completely. But here in TX, I do a lot more highway pulls than I do twisty roads. But when I do, the snap of the torque can be dangerous. I know that can be tuned out, but with a hybrid k24, I feel like I can have the best of both worlds and be safer on my rods.
This explanation sums it up well - although i didnt have k24 hybrids in the past i did have a tuned k24 car and then moved to a k16hybrid car that eventually was dedicated track duty. The k16 car was a headache to tune appropriately for the track due to the on/off nature of the k16 hybrids. the k24 came on smoother
LinwoodM (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:51 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D II
I am curious to read your thoughts once you have a chance to compare. I went from K16's to K16's with tune to K16 hybrids to K24 hybrids. Mostly mountain roads and twisty country roads. IMO, each upgrade was better and more fun. With the K24 hybrids, you need full supporting mods to make them shine. Such as a larger fresh air intake plenum and larger turbo feed tubes, 2.5" in/out IC's, 2.5" Y-Pipe, all 2.5" boost hoses, larger injectors, 76mm TB/plenum combo and a second in-line 044 fuel pump. With supporting mods like this, I experienced virtually no lag and relentless power. The car trapped higher than a stock 991.2 turbo, which is a very quick car. A stock K24/X50 car, even with a tune can not compare to a properly set up K24 hybrid car, as it will have much more lag. The supporting mods are the key to instant response and substantial power. The person that bought my former 996TT has had a lot of very fast cars and he is blown away by the quick power delivery and how strongly and prolonged it pulls on demand. Good luck with your experiment, Linwood!
Interesting…the only thing I am mossing from this list is the plenum, TB, and inline pump. I do have water/meth though. Turbos are about 3 months out. I am excited to get them on just in time for boost season!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:23 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

I'm not all that interested in adding all that other stuff. I've heard that Colorado is following California's lead on failing cars if they have a tune, so whatever setup I go to I need the ability to flash a stock tune back onto the car to pass emissions.

My question is, at that point is it worth doing K24 hybrids or sticking with K16 hybrids? I'm going to need to stick with the stock fuel injectors I assume in order to run a stock tune...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?