Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Is it a real 3.8 RS? Was it always a race car or did it start life as a road car?
Yeah, I think it is real. I believe it's actually an RSR so not the road car (RS)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Factory 3.8 race car. Not many were road cars.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Factory 3.8 race car. Not many were road cars.
Around 55 I think. And you'd need $400k US to get your hands on one I reckon.

Wow I'd like one.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dou. I think we discussed it a while back. R888s are an old tyre now (original design a decade old). The compound is teh key. The Z221s are a newer design/compound. The R888s are still a good tyre but not as good as the Z221 although they may have the edge in the rain. I agree with Paul they will be slower by 1s or more at HD.

Smaller wheels doent majke a faster car. Smaller rolling diameter makes fro shorter gearing. Thats what Yoda meant. Youd have to work outside the manufacturers specified profile for width to reduce rolling circumference. As Paul found out Saturday you dont actually want shorter gear ins ome cars (such as 3rd in 993 C2 ROW G50/21 box) as it means grabbing another cog just before a corner. Play with gearing via rolling tyre diameter by all means but it may not be as effective on teh 964 as it was on Boxster....

Yes. Lets hope its dry on the day. Ive observed RSG HD days for the last 18 months (perhaps 20+ days including regularity trials etc). I think its been damp or a little wet on only 1 or 2 max. I think the sprints last year was damp (Ron put turbo into the armco). I dont think anyone in our group maybe bar Paul, Chris, Steve and Sean has any significant wet competition experience. When its raining fairly much constantly it gets quite fun as you say but not until the greasiness has gone from the track which takes more than just a sudden shower. Lets hope it remains dry on teh day otherwise everyone take it easy and bring it home on one piece...
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Dou. I think we discussed it a while back. R888s are an old tyre now (original design a decade old). The compound is teh key. The Z221s are a newer design/compound. The R888s are still a good tyre but not as good as the Z221 although they may have the edge in the rain. I agree with Paul they will be slower by 1s or more at HD. Smaller wheels doent majke a faster car. Smaller rolling diameter makes fro shorter gearing. Thats what Yoda meant. Youd have to work outside the manufacturers specified profile for width to reduce rolling circumference. As Paul found out Saturday you dont actually want shorter gear ins ome cars (such as 3rd in 993 C2 ROW G50/21 box) as it means grabbing another cog just before a corner. Play with gearing via rolling tyre diameter by all means but it may not be as effective on teh 964 as it was on Boxster.... Yes. Lets hope its dry on the day. Ive observed RSG HD days for the last 18 months (perhaps 20+ days including regularity trials etc). I think its been damp or a little wet on only 1 or 2 max. I think the sprints last year was damp (Ron put turbo into the armco). I dont think anyone in our group maybe bar Paul, Chris, Steve and Sean has any significant wet competition experience. When its raining fairly much constantly it gets quite fun as you say but not until the greasiness has gone from the track which takes more than just a sudden shower. Lets hope it remains dry on teh day otherwise everyone take it easy and bring it home on one piece...
Thanks Macca
Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually thats more than I thought. Net says 109 in total (includes race cars one assumes). Estimates 60 road cars. There were two in NZ. Mike had the best one and swapped it with Fritzner in Germany for the red 125k km 959 at CCS. He probably regrets that as their prices doubled shortly after. The good news is 959 prices have stabilised from 100 KGBP lows 8 years ago and started to climbed again. Not sure about 125k km examples though. I love looking at them and Mikes car keeps mine company in the CCS underground car park where it basically lives, but there are always issues with them some of them take years to solve as Dean well knows.

BBS were pretty much supplying all the Porsche Race teams of that generation. They make some great wheels and as you say fairly light. A modern single piece forged wheel is hard to beat for weight in the 21st century. The 20" x 12" rear wheel on my GT3 is a forged wheel and weighs basically the same as a 18" turbo twist from a 1996 993C4S!

Cargraphic always had my vote for something light, strong and bespoke. I went to the factory in 2007 and met their export manager and design team. Got to see how they design them and had a snuffle through their warehouse. Their exhaust work was lovely. The owner had a 2.7RS in the showroom. I actually visited a few shops making good contacts. Had a dream of setting up a shop selling/installing premium brands for Euros plus some modification and bit of race prep and team support. Was going to use the 993 as a mobile billboard. Might get back to that idea someday....I think the time will be right soon. Auckland's getting big enough, the dealers cant touch the stuff (PAG, VWAG etc say they cant sell it). I did a few wheels back in 2003. Started to turn into a business (dealers wanting nicer/larger Porsche wheels to tart up trade ins). Started to be come a business thats what gave me the idea. Unfortunately a carrera relocation to WTGN and 200,000km+ per annum travelling knocked that on the head!
Attached Images      
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

Doug, looks like it was a long chat with Yoda have you changed out those rear calipers yet?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

3.8RS ex Australia. Was priced at £350,000 now POA http://www.hexagonclassics.com/car_s...Coupe/9594.htm
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
3.8RS ex Australia. Was priced at £350,000 now POA http://www.hexagonclassics.com/car_s...Coupe/9594.htm
That one will be commanding more as it is very low mileage and 1 of only 2 RHD ever built.

Just awesome.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Cargraphic always had my vote for something light, strong and bespoke. I went to the factory in 2007 and met their export manager and design team. Got to see how they design them and had a snuffle through their warehouse. Their exhaust work was lovely. The owner had a 2.7RS in the showroom. I actually visited a few shops making good contacts. Had a dream of setting up a shop selling/installing premium brands for Euros plus some modification and bit of race prep and team support. Was going to use the 993 as a mobile billboard. Might get back to that idea someday....I think the time will be right soon. Auckland's getting big enough, the dealers cant touch the stuff (PAG, VWAG etc say they cant sell it). I did a few wheels back in 2003. Started to turn into a business (dealers wanting nicer/larger Porsche wheels to tart up trade ins). Started to be come a business thats what gave me the idea. Unfortunately a carrera relocation to WTGN and 200,000km+ per annum travelling knocked that on the head!
I'm in, but you knew that.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate. I'm actually going to start thinking about it again next year quite hard. I need to nut out a business plan so will flick that by you. Getting hard stats in NZ on demographic, new car sales, used car sales average price etc etc is really hard. When I left NZ I did some work on this to find everyone in the country who appeared wealthy had a PAYE taxable income of $60K pa (rest was paid via dividends into family trust etc). People wondering why NZ had so many small business's per head of capita? Back then as a consultant I could pay myself below the 39% threshold and book the rest as 33% profits distributed to shareholders. Suspect theyve clamped on this now. As I say you really had to take a stab at the potential market size and hope you weren't too close to the demographic to be sniffing your own farts so to speak...
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks mate. I'm actually going to start thinking about it again next year quite hard. I need to nut out a business plan so will flick that by you. Getting hard stats in NZ on demographic, new car sales, used car sales average price etc etc is really hard. When I left NZ I did some work on this to find everyone in the country who appeared wealthy had a PAYE taxable income of $60K pa (rest was paid via dividends into family trust etc). People wondering why NZ had so many small business's per head of capita? Back then as a consultant I could pay myself below the 39% threshold and book the rest as 33% profits distributed to shareholders. Suspect theyve clamped on this now. As I say you really had to take a stab at the potential market size and hope you weren't too close to the demographic to be sniffing your own farts so to speak...
They lowered the top tax rate to be much closer to business rate, so no real advantage anymore?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I thought they lowered the company tax by the same amount no?

Im pretty sure IRD will not allow you to pay yourself 60K pa any longer if your "activity" is deemed by them to command a typical PAYE salary much greater than that (i.e. consultant surgeon, business analyst etc).

Chris B can probably confirm.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some looking a while back into bringing in some of the genuine higher end brands here in NZ too, brands like BBS and Ohlins etc. The thing that worries me here though is that people seem to be a race to the bottom to buy cheaper and cheaper stuff, ignoring the quality. Genuine good brand coilovers are much cheaper now than they used to be yet in NZ brands like D2 gained popularity because they were cheaper and "made in the same factory in China as Teins". Now people buy even cheaper coilovers like Yellowspeeds because they are "made in the same factory as D2s". People even buy rip-off's of rip-off wheels like fake versions of Rota Grid's which are TE37 copies.

I would love to see more people buying some of the quality european gear here but I'm not sure if there is the market. I definitely am coming from more the Japanese import and older euro side here though so I don't have too much exposure to the typical new euro buyer in NZ, apart from visiting Conti's every month
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they lowered the company tax by the same amount no?

Im pretty sure IRD will not allow you to pay yourself 60K pa any longer if your "activity" is deemed by them to command a typical PAYE salary much greater than that (i.e. consultant surgeon, business analyst etc).

Chris B can probably confirm.
I believe the test case against the surgeons they won was that if the company derives most of it's income directly from that individuals effort then you cannot pay yourself a small salary and most of the money out a dividends. So if you are someone bringing in money through your hourly efforts then most of the profit should be paid out via salary. However if the company is more something like a property holding company that you just do admin for and most of the money comes from the rent coming in rather than your exertion then it's ok to do a relatively small salary to dividend payout.

That was my understanding of it anyway but I'm not an accountant, I always find if in doubt it's best to just ask on of them for the exact go. And the top tax and company rates are close now but there's still almost 7% in it when you include the ACC levy.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?