Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

In terms of votes. I vote 944. Its not like you are doing the 3200 km return trip the rest of us are - so in terms of touring its just the days between events. The 944 would be miles more fun on track than a new to you car and lets face it there are only 2-3 days touring in between. I dont like the idea so much of borrowing someone elses new toy inccase something goes wrong and Id say CCS would want a mint for renting our there Cayman as they knowncthere are tracks involved....

Just my thoughts.
You haven't been in this 944! It is fully stripped and hard as nails. Christchurch to Invercargill would not be a fun 3 days! And you think Jo's back would be sore...I don't fancy driving Kim from QT to Chch via the Hermitage strapped in with a harness.

On the positive side though - I can put road tyres on for the road and track wheels fit in the back!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:52 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Pete, Another option is to lease a car off Steve. At least that's a business arrangement. Personally, I really dislike borrowing other peoples' things. No problem lending mine but I have a mental block worrying about breaking someone's pride and joy.

If it were meI'd take the 944 for the track and ride shotgun / share a drive of other cars. Heck, I'd be happy to share the 964 on part of the trip. If not, get that white Herman replica off Steve and teach those cocky 993s a thing or two....
Yeah I'm the same - have had no issue with Tony driving mine.

I may ask Steve just to see if its an option.

Re riding shotgun that's not going to work as I still need to drive to the track and all the way too and from Chch. Really only an option for the QT day trips and Kim will be with me then.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Love this.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 AM
O2GO
Drifting

That's a real bugger Pete. That trademe link doesn't work for me. I will be on my own so could offer up the passenger seat to Kim when we are touring so only you get the bone shaker. Although my car isn't the comfort level of the Cayman S by 20+years. You'd be silly to go through Arthur's pass and down the west coast in the 944... A lot further than Chch to Queenstown. That trip through the Mckenzie country is flat, smooth and beautiful. Road tyres with 25lbs so you soften up the ride, noise cancelling head phones, panadol, and arrive early at Queenstown for a massage should do it.

The other movements aren't such a haul.

Toughen up, take the 944 with sacrificing the west coast part. It's only one night on your own in say Twizel. You'll love it on the tracks!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Tell that to Chris M - they look(ed) wicked on his. Perfect track wheels for 964 due to lightness - you can save the Cup 1's (yawn) for the Sunday drives... Did we mention you were becoming a 964 snob...? Nice avatar change by the way! And jumping swiftly to their defence - oh yeah??!! John maybe, but not the rest....
Don't make me photoshop those wheels into my wreck, Doug. They could look real sharp on your car along with the Heigo ... :-)

No verdict tonight guys, didn't get a chance to pull things apart on the brakes yet. No fluid leak & still sitting near max level. Theory now is either really bad luck with pedal still good on the last sweeper and heat soak over those last 500m cooking the fluid, or a piston stuck and overheating. Most of you know the C4 has the high pressure brake system like the RS & Cup cars, so a few other things to check. In the lot behind me was a red/white Cup car that lost brakes on the old Puke back straight, went through the tires, a paddock & ended up on the road to Tuakau. Ouch.

That story and learning some of the RSG wreck stories makes me feel less alone, thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:33 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Don't make me photoshop those wheels into my wreck, Doug. They could look real sharp on your car along with the Heigo ... :-) No verdict tonight guys, didn't get a chance to pull things apart on the brakes yet. No fluid leak & still sitting near max level. Theory now is either really bad luck with pedal still good on the last sweeper and heat soak over those last 500m cooking the fluid, or a piston stuck and overheating. Most of you know the C4 has the high pressure brake system like the RS & Cup cars, so a few other things to check. In the lot behind me was a red/white Cup car that lost brakes on the old Puke back straight, went through the tires, a paddock & ended up on the road to Tuakau. Ouch. That story and learning some of the RSG wreck stories makes me feel less alone, thanks!
Let's wait for the verdict before landing on your car like vultures. If it is a write off I assume the insurance company will own it and either you or Steve buy it at the wrecks auction to make it into something. Re the Heigo, I'm interested but currently a bit broke until I sell the cayenne. Mean time my limited budget is going into preparing Lola for the Cape Reinga and SITT runs.

Edit: How's the insurance situation shaping up?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A word of advice to 964 owners
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A word of advice to 964 owners
I haven't done the multimeter test (Donna is non compliant after Valentine Day champagne ) but initial investigation suggests Herman has failed the wide open throttle test.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Michael you sly dog - do tell more. I reckon HD has a 50% hit rate with the RSG.............
Probably my 2nd or 3rd track day, car was still in stock road trim including tyres. Start of session, damp track, drying line but I wasn't really on it properly. Bad downshift, lost the rear and spun, hit the inside wall a glancing blow at front corner and ended up facing back up the hill. Luckily no one came round the corner and collected me. Got across the track and pulled over, Ray jumped out and had a look and the bumper was pushed in fully on one side, but otherwise no damage. Finished session and day. Could've been a lot worse.

Then there was the Playday in the Dark near-miss. Car still in road trim. Pitch black, got off the track onto the grass on the outside of the sweeper starting to come up the hill. Swerved to get back on the track but too violently and spun across the full width of the track onto the grass on the infield and ended up backing into some swampy reeds or something (still to this day don't quite know where I ended up). No damage. Could've been a lot worse.

And last year there was the meeting with the tyre wall on the inside of the sweeper. Car in current trim with Toyos on. Wet track, just stopped raining. Second session of the day, second lap. First lap went OK so pushing a bit more, went around sweeper a bit quick, right on the limit of grip and it held all the way around until starting to straighten up. Rear came around, spun and I remember thinking "I'm in the middle of the track, I've got plenty of space to pull this up". Then I was on the grass and there was no braking or steering happening from then on. There was an awful lot of swearing going on though, while I spun a couple more times and watched the tyre wall get closer and closer. Hit the tyre wall with the rear of the car and bounced off, and it seemed like quite an impact. Didn't want to get out of the car and see what the damage was because I was sure it was going to be all messed up. Eventually the session ended and Matt B pulled up to see what was happening. Got out and couldn't believe the lack of damage, just a crack in the rear bumper and a tattoo of the tread from the tyre I hit on the rubber part of the bumper. Finished the day. Could've been a lot worse!

OK, that's my list of shame (I hope my partner never finds this site). Anyone else want to share?

Writing this now, it's clear that:

- I've been very lucky so far, and I'm sure one day it's going to run out
- This hobby isn't tiddlywinks
- Improving the suspension and putting on track tyres has made things a lot safer. Since doing that I've never spun in the dry and just had the one incident in the wet.

Lastly, I'd like to shake the hand of the genius who, at some point in the history of my (UK-spec) car, put the chunky US-spec bumpers on. I've tested both front and back and they've done an amazing job!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Don't make me photoshop those wheels into my wreck, Doug. They could look real sharp on your car along with the Heigo ... :-)

No verdict tonight guys, didn't get a chance to pull things apart on the brakes yet. No fluid leak & still sitting near max level. Theory now is either really bad luck with pedal still good on the last sweeper and heat soak over those last 500m cooking the fluid, or a piston stuck and overheating. Most of you know the C4 has the high pressure brake system like the RS & Cup cars, so a few other things to check. In the lot behind me was a red/white Cup car that lost brakes on the old Puke back straight, went through the tires, a paddock & ended up on the road to Tuakau. Ouch.

That story and learning some of the RSG wreck stories makes me feel less alone, thanks!
The wheels looked lovely Chris. I only saw them on the video clip John posted after Puke, but there was not doubt in my mind your car was the stand-out 964 that day aesthetically.

Im going with sticky piston seal keeping the pad against the disc taking heat via disc to fluid as I stated a few pages back....
Old 02-14-2014, 06:06 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm losing track of all the change in plans for SITT. Everyone talking about 7/10ths.....
Bugger I bought new tyres just because the old ones are so hard and heat cycled that I figured that a cold day might see me locking up all over the show. haven't run this car for a while so set up day at Taupo tmoro sprints format with the Fraser club annual meeting. should be all ready to go next month...
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
You haven't been in this 944! It is fully stripped and hard as nails. Christchurch to Invercargill would not be a fun 3 days! And you think Jo's back would be sore...I don't fancy driving Kim from QT to Chch via the Hermitage strapped in with a harness.

On the positive side though - I can put road tyres on for the road and track wheels fit in the back!
If its any help mate my wife travels with enough prescription pain killers to put an elephant out of its misery, so if you back gets a bit sore by day two just ask us for a valium to help you sleep on an Oxicontin to dull the pain....
Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I haven't done the multimeter test (Donna is non compliant after Valentine Day champagne ) but initial investigation suggests Herman has failed the wide open throttle test.
John. Do you mind me asking where that document is from?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 AM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
If its any help mate my wife travels with enough prescription pain killers to put an elephant out of its misery, so if you back gets a bit sore by day two just ask us for a valium to help you sleep on an Oxicontin to dull the pain....
Learner stuff Macca.. Tramadol gets me around 16 of the 18 holes on a golf course.. 1 a day in a 944 would be plenty..
Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 AM
PHG
Racer

John, you got to look at the Santa Fe, I have had 2 now, after A6, S6 and S Line Audis, cost nothing to run, do not break down, seat 7 or take golf clubs, wheels and sheep..bloody good car even if not euro..Donna liked the look of mine when I was at your (impressive) establishment..

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?