Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. The good news is around 10 years ago I took the DIY for rear spoiler bearing replacement to Deans guys and now they can do this (if it needs doing) while they are sorting out your bolt. Im pretty sure they carry the bearing and its a low cost job. Im pretty sure looking at the photos Dougs car is still nose now which would indicate the rear wheel in the 964 sits much close to the guard from centre axles then the fronts - which is the case for all 911 including the 993 at least that Im aware of. The stance on David/Dougs/Matts car always appeared a good balance between aggressive road/track and practical everyday Auckland use IMO...
Thanks Macca. Ive found the ride height more usable than the boxster but can still hit on some driveway entrances and some more aggressive judder bars. So, compared with my boxster 987 standard setup the 964 could stand being a fraction lower but I'm not going to play with whats working well for a fair while, despite what I might say LOL
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
I have the luxury of going through every friggin system in the C4 over the last 11 months. The alternator was the last piece in the puzzle. I've checked for fluid leaks. Nothing bad but some seepage from the oil tank. Those of you that haven't done any oil lines should check their condition. Also need to decide if I'll stump up for a litre of SRF before I go. It's not the type of thing you'll find in Invercargill, but at $150 per litre is not something you necessarily keep as a standby. Doug and I ran through a list of things to cover most road side eventualities. Quite a list.
Today i added to that list John. Added nylon ties, coated electrical cable (which replaced the lost bolt), twine, and red duct tape, a set of assorted screwdriver ends, texco etc ends i think they're called, allen keys, electrical tape, sandpaper, etc all of which are in my new soft tool bag in preparation for the trip. Oh, must remember to take some number 8 wire too.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - I'm gonna take your advise on the pads.
Yeah, Paul, I dont think youll regret it. Youll use them up somewhere along the line. I really thought I could get away with mine then change them out during the SITT, but frankly Id rather be eating bacon for breakfast in a Queenstown cafe than changing pads so have moved the plan around. Ive ordered a new rear tyre to replace the bust one but still contemplating if Ill bother with a tyre change although Ill ship them down with your and Petes car just in case...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I have the luxury of going through every friggin system in the C4 over the last 11 months. The alternator was the last piece in the puzzle. I've checked for fluid leaks. Nothing bad but some seepage from the oil tank. Those of you that haven't done any oil lines should check their condition. Also need to decide if I'll stump up for a litre of SRF before I go. It's not the type of thing you'll find in Invercargill, but at $150 per litre is not something you necessarily keep as a standby. Doug and I ran through a list of things to cover most road side eventualities. Quite a list.
I carry about 300mls of SRF, left over from filling 2x boxsters with SRF if that helps.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:48 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Matt replaced the rear wheel bearings on the C2 and fronts are on my list to at least look at. Thanks for the hints on checking oil lines, shifter etc. My SITT C2 prep list is huge. The boxster would have been more reliable (modern, 80k, well maintained) but the 964 troupe will be fun.

964 owners, do you run with the underside engine cover installed or off. Mine is off and the thinking is it lets more air circulate but i cant help think Porsche engineers designed it to be used for good reason. Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I carry about 300mls of SRF, left over from filling 2x boxsters with SRF if that helps.
That's probably enough. The 996TT took one litre in total. The 964 took double. It's just to allow replacement of bled fluid. You can't mix SRF with other brake fluids.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Matt replaced the rear wheel bearings on the C2 and fronts are on my list to at least look at. Thanks for the hints on checking oil lines, shifter etc. My SITT C2 prep list is huge. The boxster would have been more reliable (modern, 80k, well maintained) but the 964 troupe will be fun. 964 owners, do you run with the underside engine cover installed or off. Mine is off and the thinking is it lets more air circulate but i cant help think Porsche engineers designed it to be used for good reason. Thoughts?
I've read that the engine cover allowed for a cooler running engine. Counterintuitive. I've also read it was designed to reduce noise. Whatever the case most cars I've seen run without it.

The thing with the 964 is that it's old. Nothing more complicated than that. Keep on top of the cars condition and there's no problem. You have a better history on yours than I had on mine. Should be just a check not a $$$ issue.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting. The 993 took approx 1 litre. Must be the C4 system...
Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

That's probably enough. The 996TT took one litre in total. The 964 took double. It's just to allow replacement of bled fluid. You can't mix SRF with other brake fluids.
Just checked Matt's invoices and the SRF fluid changeover used 1l of SRF. Prior to that 1l of Porsche fluid. This is for C2 with smaller brakes. Are you sure about "the 964 took double". Its around $130 discounted per litre. Of course the C4 has bigger brakes so maybe it uses a lot more fluid capacity? Both 986 and 987 Boxsters had bigger brakes and used about 800mls or so. Macca's 993 used 1l. Maybe a C4 issue?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I've read that the engine cover allowed for a cooler running engine. Counterintuitive. I've also read it was designed to reduce noise. Whatever the case most cars I've seen run without it. The thing with the 964 is that it's old. Nothing more complicated than that. Keep on top of the cars condition and there's no problem. You have a better history on yours than I had on mine. Should be just a check not a $$$ issue.
I'll ask the boys at Contis. I think they commented that most leave it of when i had the PPI.

Dave, Matt... What do you know?

Feels like I should have it on. Probably less drag too.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just checked Matt's invoices and the SRF fluid changeover used 1l of SRF. Prior to that 1l of Porsche fluid. This is for C2 with smaller brakes. Are you sure about "the 964 took double". Its around $130 discounted per litre. Of course the C4 has bigger brakes so maybe it uses a lot more fluid capacity? Both 986 and 987 Boxsters had bigger brakes and used about 800mls or so. Macca's 993 used 1l. Maybe a C4 issue?
From another thread

For a complete flush on a C4, if you follow all of the recommended procedures and bleed quantities (in the shop manual and Adrian's book), and bleed the ABS accumulator, solenoid, PDAS locks, four brake calipers, and clutch slave - you will need slightly more than 2 litres.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

964 C4 has same dual circuit? set up as 964/993RS and uses 2 litre of fluid.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Do a rennlist global search on "engine tray"......then spend the next 3 weeks reading the threads. You think our thread is a long one! Its the most debated 964/993 part in history. You decide LOL!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug. Do a rennlist global search on "engine tray"......then spend the next 3 weeks reading the treads. You think our thread is a long one! Its the most debated 964/993 part in history. You decide LOL!
Extra weight, what's not to like!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug. Do a rennlist global search on "engine tray"......then spend the next 3 weeks reading the treads. You think our thread is a long one! Its the most debated 964/993 part in history. You decide LOL!
Ha ha, thanks for that Macca.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?