Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014 | 01:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Handbrake would do nothing other than scrub off perhaps 10-15kmph in that distance.

I take that corner mid track. The closer you are to the right hand wall the more run off you will have but the more difficult the turn.

I copied Chris's post and emailed it to my wife. Its better she has a heads up to this (rather than hear it on the SITT and think Ive covered it up!) and lets face it, it was an incredibly rare occasion of total component failure. I wont be hearing any noises from that corner when I bolt on the big brake upgrade after the SITT!

Chris....what did you say the brand of that iphone holder was again?
Old 02-13-2014 | 01:27 AM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Terrifying story, happy you're ok!
Old 02-13-2014 | 01:28 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
There's no way you would be the first Chris, but perhaps the first from a brake failure and hitting the wall at speed. +1 on the write up. It makes very interesting reading, it's like slow motion replay. Bloody Scary for me knowing how well you reacted vs how I think I may have reacted (too slow). There's no way I'm letting my wife read it or I'll be banned from the track. Question for the group. If this happens to any of us in future what effect would hitting the handbrake have at that speed in a 964? How does the handbrake work vs the hydraulic system?
Thanks Doug - it's good for me to have written it while still fresh in memory. I think one of you wrote yesterday that the impacts are a gamble and I suppose they are... We have limited inputs to the equation & the rest is chance.

I kept meaning to talk about the ebrake - thanks for the tickle up. By the time I was failing at pumping I was into the grass so not sure if it would have helped at all. I think at speed you would risk locking up the rears and spinning, dunno.

I've been imagining all sorts of different ideas - how tricky would it be to create a system with four dedicated reservoirs. I seem to remember something like that on some racing application.
Old 02-13-2014 | 01:49 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Handbrake would do nothing other than scrub off perhaps 10-15kmph in that distance. I take that corner mid track. The closer you are to the right hand wall the more run off you will have but the more difficult the turn. I copied Chris's post and emailed it to my wife. Its better she has a heads up to this (rather than hear it on the SITT and think Ive covered it up!) and lets face it, it was an incredibly rare occasion of total component failure. I wont be hearing any noises from that corner when I bolt on the big brake upgrade after the SITT! Chris....what did you say the brand of that iphone holder was again?
I'll be taking it full inside for a while ... Mid track is smart. I had done several approaches and the one I was on was the worst possible with too much speed.

It was iottie. Toppp.com aggregates the top 1000 Amazon items. If it has thousands of reviews over 4 stars I just buy it ... I'm a conditioned American consumer like that.

Amazon Amazon

It's just simple plastic, nothing fancy, but effective. We bought it to be able to mount a spare phone on multiple surfaces as a baby monitor.
Old 02-13-2014 | 02:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris. Our household does 90% of its shopping in the USA so we are well versed at trusting the Amazon ratings. I still like the NKMOS design (have original one plus the new one as a baker) but will probably not be giving it the drop test like you did! I might give it a go for Vanuatu...

You have probably less than 3-4 seconds from brake fail to over the bank. Its impressive you kept it together so well. Dont over think what could have been. In these situations you use reflexes. Yours served you just fine.

Chris what is a 2013 JXU85?
Old 02-13-2014 | 03:23 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Chris. Our household does 90% of its shopping in the USA so we are well versed at trusting the Amazon ratings. I still like the NKMOS design (have original one plus the new one as a baker) but will probably not be giving it the drop test like you did! I might give it a go for Vanuatu... You have probably less than 3-4 seconds from brake fail to over the bank. Its impressive you kept it together so well. Dont over think what could have been. In these situations you use reflexes. Yours served you just fine. Chris what is a 2013 JXU85?
I've since backed the nkmos on kickstarter after you pointed out the alternate suction cup. :-D

JXU 85 is my only play vehicle for now. CaSe IH 85HP, AWD, diesel, wet clutch, springy seat, lap belt, rollbar, electrics over hydraulics, quick hitch loader. Might also be useful for moving around my shell as I strip it out. Steve's not sure it can be saved til we get it on the jig.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2014 | 03:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I've since backed the nkmos on kickstarter after you pointed out the alternate suction cup. :-D

JXU 85 is my only play vehicle for now. CaSe IH 85HP, AWD, diesel, wet clutch, springy seat, lap belt, rollbar, electrics over hydraulics, quick hitch loader. Might also be useful for moving around my shell as I strip it out. Steve's not sure it can be saved til we get it on the jig.
LOL. Chris just be careful on the hills. Those things have a habit of rolling!

The NKMOS is a work of art.

Im not sure it will be cost effective to rebuild in this market (which doesn't favour 964's so well with LHD). You may find you can recover half its market value from the sale of engine, transmission, differential and interior parts. You could keep all the trick parts for another 964. The good news is there are plenty for sale in NZ and they are cheap. Of course the sentimental value may overwhelm any rational decision and we all respect that....
Old 02-13-2014 | 04:38 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Chris, absolutely gutted to hear what happened but so glad you're OK. That's a nightmare situation that we all dread and try not to think about too much. And you certainly picked the worst place to do it! Your post was sobering and also captured the amazing amount of thought that human brains can do in 2-3 seconds when necessary. As you say, you didn't have control over much but the actions you did no doubt prevented a much worse outcome. I hope the news from Steve isn't too bad and you'll be back out there soon.
Old 02-13-2014 | 04:46 AM
Obsessed
Pro

There's no way you would be the first Chris, but perhaps the first from a brake failure and hitting the wall at speed.
I was at a Playday a couple of years ago and a Mitsi Evo had a complete brake failure on the main straight and went straight ahead on turn 1, through the grass and sand and into the tyre wall. The tyre wall actually stopped it though...

And this was just before I took Racing Ray out and left some of my car's paintwork on the inside wall of turn 1
Old 02-13-2014 | 05:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I was at a Playday a couple of years ago and a Mitsi Evo had a complete brake failure on the main straight and went straight ahead on turn 1, through the grass and sand and into the tyre wall. The tyre wall actually stopped it though...

And this was just before I took Racing Ray out and left some of my car's paintwork on the inside wall of turn 1
Michael you sly dog - do tell more. I reckon HD has a 50% hit rate with the RSG.............
Old 02-13-2014 | 05:27 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I came clean... Told my wife about Chris' accident so it wouldn't come back and bite me later.
Old 02-13-2014 | 05:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

964 enthusiasts. I've cornered the market on 16" track tyres (4 sets) and D90 wheels (2 sets) (thanks Dave) and love the 17" Cup 2s with their road tyres.

I have a great set of 17" wheels with brand new Toyo R888s purchased for track work in the Boxster and I'm wondering about the merits of trying these of the C2. Steve R supplied them and says the offset is similar and ok for the C2.

Is everyone running 16" on their 964s on the track? Anyone running 17"? If running 17s how have you found them by comparison?

I asked this a while ago and got a few opinions but didn't get actual numbers on the sizes you are running.

I think I'll give them a try anyway but not many opportunities to trial and decide before the SITT.
Old 02-13-2014 | 05:48 AM
PHG
Racer

Nice tractor Chris.. good to read your tale, clear and concise..and good to hear you are essentially unharmed..c u soon
Old 02-13-2014 | 05:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

964 enthusiasts. I've cornered the market on 16" track tyres (4 sets) and D90 wheels (2 sets) (thanks Dave) and love the 17" Cup 2s with their road tyres. I have a great set of 17" wheels with brand new Toyo R888s purchased for track work in the Boxster and I'm wondering about the merits of trying these of the C2. Steve R supplied them and says the offset is similar and ok for the C2. Is everyone running 16" on their 964s on the track? Anyone running 17"? If running 17s how have you found them by comparison? I asked this a while ago and got a few opinions but didn't get actual numbers on the sizes you are running. I think I'll give them a try anyway but not many opportunities to trial and decide before the SITT.
I'm running 17" wheels with Z221 225/45 and 255/40. I love them so much I'm going to get a new set of those fitted on Saturday to the Frankenstein D90 s and also get a set of Hankook K117s fitted to the Fuchs in the same size. Here-on out the C4 is both my DD and track car. The Steve Wong chip gave it the drivability I needed for commuting traffic. I will experiment with the road tyres to see how much faith I can put in them for the SITT run.

I've never run 16" wheels. I have 18" on the Turbo 3.6. I don't imagine they are much different at our level. Personally if I already had the right wheels and tyres I'd run them on the C2 no matter what the size.
Old 02-13-2014 | 06:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug, Chris, Pete H, John, Chris M, Jason & Sam were/are all running 17" on 964! I think Dave was the only one using 16" that's why you have the market cornered LOL!

The Boxster wheels with R888 will be more than fine on the 964 assuming the rear offsets work ok.

Paul. Dont joke about accidents and RSG. I think we have now numbered 4 fairly expensive ones in the last 12 months!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?