Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

P.P.S. Apologies Doug for giving you sleepless nights....
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Pete and Macca. I spent much of the night awake being pissed off with the potential oil starvation issues with my M97 engine.
Surely there is some preventative maintenance or aftermarket works you can do to solve this??

Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Surely there is some preventative maintenance or aftermarket works you can do to solve this?? .
Baffled sump or semi dry sump. Easier to go 964
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

There are a number of well know fixes to address this and Doug is aware of them (and obviously Tony is on the way to addressing these and Peter Meredith has also addressed these as part of his rebuild). The fact remains however that you could probably spend easily 10K NZD including labour to get the car reliable for track and you would never see this money back again at resale. The Gen2 987 already has most of these improvements as standard

I have no idea what a good Spyder would cost from the UK (if you can get one as I hear they are increasingly sought after) - assuming 75K NZD landed on the road I should think with the very low depreciation and added reliability plus lighter weight and increased pace and performance you would effectively be saving more like 30K over 5 years on taking a stock 987.1 boxster to the track with modifications and depreciation over the same period.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
There are a number of well know fixes to address this and Doug is aware of them (and obviously Tony is on the way to addressing these and Peter Meredith has also addressed these as part of his rebuild). The fact remains however that you could probably spend easily 10K NZD including labour to get the car reliable for track and you would never see this money back again at resale. The Gen2 987 already has most of these improvements as standard I have no idea what a good Spyder would cost from the UK (if you can get one as I hear they are increasingly sought after) - assuming 75K NZD landed on the road I should think with the very low depreciation and added reliability plus lighter weight and increased pace and performance you would effectively be saving more like 30K over 5 years on taking a stock 987.1 boxster to the track with modifications and depreciation over the same period.
Spot on Macca. IMO and quite a lot of research, Pete and Tony are not quite solving the problem fully but the deep sump goes a long way to fixing it. GT3 AOS plus Acusump plus small PS/aircon pulley plus IMS mods and you are halfway to the reliability of the .2 DFI engine which fixed all these issues.

Redlining my way around the track I'm looking for more piece of mind that i wont get a massive puff of smoke and game over.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. I have to confess Doug that it would give me the SH*ts knowing that the quicker around the track I became the more likely I was to create an end game scenario for that donk. Once you are moviing into the 1.18-1.19 band at HD in a flat 6 you really are pushing into the motorsports development envelope the engine was hopefully designed in mind for. This is what keeps the late model E92 M3s and the soon to be M4s from becoming reliable fast track hacks - they simply will need too much money spent on them to make them reliable under constant duress (brakes and turbo engines giving so much heat). You only have to read the Bimmer forums to understand they are good up to a point but require untold re engineering to make reliable regular track cars. Its the same iwth your car. It was fundamentally designed for what you enjoy it for - spirited road drives and DD usage. Push it under 1.20 at hD regularly and it now needs 5K of brakes and 10K of engine upgrades - not to make it faster - just to make it hang together. The last base model car Porsche made that used the same block and lubrication system as the race cars was the 964 & 993 gen cars. After that you really had to go GT3. I think they have finally sorted it out with the 9A DFI unit in the 991 but its been at least 10 long years in the wilderness for Porsche stock flat 6 engines (1999-2009 997.2 Gen).
Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have no idea what a good Spyder would cost from the UK (if you can get one as I hear they are increasingly sought after) - assuming 75K NZD landed on the road I should think with the very low depreciation and added reliability plus lighter weight and increased pace and performance you would effectively be saving more like 30K over 5 years on taking a stock 987.1 boxster to the track with modifications and depreciation over the same period.
The Red Spyder would land around $80k (complied and on road) but that is by far the cheapest I have seen. I'd expect $90k would be needed to land a low mileage white one with Doug's spec.

The Chch Boxster is listed at $69k but extremely low mileage, manual, slate grey and integrated nav (PCM 3.0) which I know Doug would use!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thats interesting Doug. I bought this for GPS (TomTom on iPhone) more than for video as I run a GoPro from the rear cage. I guess I might run it on Video with Harrys Lap Timer (but the resolution is so poor it wasnt a major consideration). Anyway apparently it is a stable unit as it has a bit of heft but well find out on the SITT I guess. I think mounting any camera on window-screen will pick up a bit of vibration - the best was my GoPro suction arm but that thing is massive.
Harry Lap Timer video is nice in that you get the position on track, speed, g forces etc overlaid on the HD video. And you get 2-3 levels of video compression from full iPhone hi res down to lower levels of resolution. If you find the video quality too poor, try changing the resolution, somewhere in settings. After all that though, it doesn't have any form of video stabilisation to my knowledge. Does the go-pro stabilise vibrations?

Agreed, it's hard to mount a video camera on the windscreen screen and not get it jiggle around, especially in aggressive cornering which seems to be the worst in my experience. Mounted on the cage between the drivers as you have it in Hegde GT3 gives the best view IMO as you can see the silhouette of the driver and have a better feel of what's going on but hard to do this in the Boxster. The hard clear plastic screen between the seats takes a suction cup well but flexes too much adding vibration.

The unit you are describing sounds pretty good.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I saw that one in Chch and nearly mentioned it - but didn't in case I got told off for being pushy!
Ha ha, yup I have bitten well in the past. But don't hold back on mentioning interesting cars you spot for sale.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, it makes sense. You know how cool the Syder is/looks. Its the RS of the boxster range too. Much better investment from a residual point of view. Youve come through the last 12 months relatively unscathed by the modification and upgrade disease compared to many around here. Weve had everything from the addition of GT3s, 993 people buying suspension, rebuilding engines, putting in cages, commissioning long hood hot rod builds, buying race cars etc. I think the average core RSG member spend on their "hobby" this last 12 mo ths would have to be 40k+ per head over a core group of say 12 of us. Look on the bright side. You now have 40K to spend! PS (you needed to update the 986 as it was a long time daily driver and getting old - doesnt count as a serious upgrade just an update LOL!).
Ha ha, tell my wife that :-P
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I wonder what they would want for a local used spyder...
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
O2GO
Drifting

P.P.S. Apologies Doug for giving you sleepless nights....
No worries, it was a fun thinking it all through.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The half cages in both cars have proven handy on two counts. Holding luggage in place during road sortes and a fixing GoPro cameras!
There is no image stabilisation with the GoPro that Im aware of.

I have Harrys LT on my new iPhone, Ill have to get you to show me how to run the video resolution up so I can give it a go. I do like the idea of the overlay so will definitely give it a whirl.

The Perfroamce box allows for a video feed at post production level but I havent figured out how to import footage from a GoPro and it may not be possible (Matt G mught know). If it was would make a lovely compromise with HD video and accurate trace.

The ultimate answer Im rapidly learning from others (assumes you have a late model car) is AIM SOLO DL CANBUS with SmartyCam. Ive seen this working on the new GT3 using CANBUS via the new Seimens ECU and it can 7 channels of data (most only use three, speedo, tacho, gear) overlaid onto Video which shows GPS location on the track. Only problem is its a really expensive (3K) solution!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Back from HD. GTNZ running there this weekend. Wasn't there for long as my son had some movie to go to (wouldn't tell me the title).

Spoke to Simon G. Watched his qualifying session then looked at the car. Son sat in it while I checked out the Motec software and the air intake solution.

An unexpected outcome was Simon saying he will host us in Hawkes Bay on the way to Wellington for the SITT. How many are going with us?
Attached Images    
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Also met CBNZ who had been following the decal posting. He is robin to Kevin etches batman.

Lastly, saw this in the car park. Looks like a repaint. Didn't see the owner so couldn't ask about decals
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?