Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The Gayman looks nice in white......
I hope that wasn't a freudian slip Macca!

I reckon it looks stunning from the front 1/4 but less so from the rear. Looking forward to seeing one on the road.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be keen but like some others only for 1 day, at Taupo.

Matt
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Guys, I'm keen on away trips. The way my job works is that I have to schedule time off well in advance. My particular interest is Taupo and Manfield. October is definitely better for me.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for your input guys. Still a few more to respond but in the meantime and as summary-

4 (John, Sean, Macca, Phil) interested in potential October? away trip. For sake of keeping things manageable estimate 4 days, three tracks, over a weekend. Steve R sounds like he could be interested in this also.

2 (Paul, Peter) good for shorter "event" maybe two tracks coordinating with an already existing event maybe over a long weekend. I dont think Labour weekend will work as its Targa NZ and I guess probably at least 2 maybe 3 of this group would be on that event.

1 (Matt) keen on Taupo only.

We are still yet to hear from Matt, Jason and a few others.

I will email Tony at Playday over the weekend. The track calendars arent scheduled currently as far out as October so well need to look into that....
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Update on engine in the mechanic's exact words today, "internal damage to your engine is very minor".

It also appears that the general engine condition is good. I may have to replace some tappets where small oil galleries were partially blocked, but there isn't much paper in there and other oil galleries are large so parts were not oil starved.

I will nevertheless look at the following based on advice, the "while we're in there syndrome":

Gasket reseal;
Replace big end bearings;
Replace oil lines in the driver side sill of the car;
New clutch and revert to normal flywheel; and
Recondition Bilsteins, if needed.

I may change out the front steering/suspension rubbers as well. Then I need a set of track wheels and tyres. The final touch will be the Momo wheel.

It's going to be a very sorted car when back in my hands. There's a comfort in knowing exactly where my car is at. Like having a full medical.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks for your input guys. Still a few more to respond but in the meantime and as summary-

4 (John, Sean, Macca, Phil) interested in potential October? away trip. For sake of keeping things manageable estimate 4 days, three tracks, over a weekend. Steve R sounds like he could be interested in this also.

2 (Paul, Peter) good for shorter "event" maybe two tracks coordinating with an already existing event maybe over a long weekend. I dont think Labour weekend will work as its Targa NZ and I guess probably at least 2 maybe 3 of this group would be on that event.

1 (Matt) keen on Taupo only.

We are still yet to hear from Matt, Jason and a few others.

I will email Tony at Playday over the weekend. The track calendars arent scheduled currently as far out as October so well need to look into that....
I'm good for either a longer or shorter trip.

I reckon there would be others from the Playday Group who could be keen and there are also guys from out of Akl who I'm sure would join a session at Manfield/Taupo. Have you posted on Steve's website - last time I visited there were only 3 of us signed up for 4 May - not v encouraging!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Update on engine in the mechanic's exact words today, "internal damage to your engine is very minor".

It also appears that the general engine condition is good. I may have to replace some tappets where small oil galleries were partially blocked, but there isn't much paper in there and other oil galleries are large so parts were not oil starved.

I will nevertheless look at the following based on advice, the "while we're in there syndrome":

Gasket reseal;
Replace big end bearings;
Replace oil lines in the driver side sill of the car;
New clutch and revert to normal flywheel; and
Recondition Bilsteins, if needed.

I may change out the front steering/suspension rubbers as well. Then I need a set of track wheels and tyres. The final touch will be the Momo wheel.

It's going to be a very sorted car when back in my hands. There's a comfort in knowing exactly where my car is at. Like having a full medical.
Have you spoken to your better half about the "deal" on this particular car? If I remember, you're going to have to spend a fair bit of time in your garage to accomplish all of that

Good news though!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My better half hasn't made any noises about the 'deal' in the last few weeks Thanks goodness. How many shoes can you covet, or is that a stupid question? Not sure how much this is going to cost, thankfully the house is likely appreciating just as quickly.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John,

That's great news! Its sounds like the best case scenario played out.

Possibly consider upgrading the valve springs while you are in there. A good set will be only $600 and will provide come comfort when you are revving it out on the track.

Scott has a perfectly good DMFW I just sold him - maybe hell let you have it. It may still be at CCS.
If you need some track wheels dont forget I have those refurbished factory Cup2s which would work well as track wheels. W will sell them them to cover putting track tyres on my existing wheels. From my experience eon the 29th I realised dedicated tyres/wheels are going to be essential to getting enjoyment on the track

Im sure you will be giving it beans at HD before very long.

Peter. Ill put you down both ways. I haven't posted on Steves site yet as I wanted to gauge interest here first. Mostly its the same people in any case. If theres not enough interest here then Ill float it on Steves site...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be interested in a two-three day trip but I think HDs as the home of the POOH (Porsche Operators of Hampton) could be left off the away games. Puke is prob best served as a one off away game but Taupo/Manfield intense combo might work for me. Would it be too much to take an early work finish to just beat the rush and head to Taupo on a Friday (3 hrs), early start drive to Manfield Sat (2.5 hrs each way including the Desert Rd with the option of returning via the west side of the lake) and RTB Taupo for the night (big day maybe). Sun later start to do Taupo all day, finish at 4 for formation trip back to Auckland with a stop somewhere enroute for a bite to eat. Two nights accommodation, lotsa driving, just enough rest, minimum admin. Be a bloddy giggle I reckon. Maybe we'd get more interest with a short intense programme like this which has reduced impact on the workers, and those who have orders from above.
Macca, suggest you start a separate thread for this idea??
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In other news, Mr Black has his gearbox in pieces at MS.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
In other news, Mr Black has his gearbox in pieces at MS.
I'm just digesting engine costs and you have to remind me there are other potential costs
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Am keen in principle but will have targa commitments late Oct.
At Taupo the full GP track is a lot more expensive than the new track and you get 2 more corners and a long straight so thats something to think about too.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Macca, thanks for taking charge of the track tour. It sounds great to me, and I'd definitely be interested. Like others I wouldn't mind if HD was left out of the tour, as that's our "home" track in a way. Personally I don't mind if it's during the week, particularly if it has a substantial effect on cost. October sounds fine, but any later in the year might be a problem for me.

Just to double-check, are you talking about booking the entire track for our exclusive use? If this is the case then presumably we can handle quite a big group, and this will help to keep the cost down. Maybe we could invite the Bridgestone guys to come on the tour as some pre-season testing?

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Peter: after missing the last couple of events I'm keen for May 4, hopefully we can get a few more. I've been meaning to e-mail a couple of people about the group now it's running, might do that now.

Paul: do you have a schedule for your engine swap?

John: great news about your engine, must be a big relief!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?