Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
But you guys have been practising every weekend right?
Close to that, but each has different objectives.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry Dave. Just having a jibe. The last time I remember us on track together you were smoking 16" oversteer donuts infront of me at Taupo. That image must have got the better of me. I cant recall how it went at Manfield, all I remember is having to dodge Roberto Ballerina twice (one in turn 1!) and Tony in Petes C4 (again in Turn 1). I cant recall you lighting any fires so all must be good LOL!

Its exciting to have a new plan Dave. Im figuring you for someone who always likes to have a new plan so I think the longhood journey you will find very satisfying...
I hope so. Reflecting on the 964 experience, that was a good car and lots of fun. I actually enjoyed that car more than my 993. Not necessarily model wise but in terms of how I used it, pulled it to bits, got it dirty, smoked the tyres, got some road rash and didn't worry about every kilometre added. I would never have done that to my 993.
Relatively short term ownership but if all future 911 acquaintances turn out like the '64 then I'm on track for a dozen more. Will have to fill the impact bumper gap some day to complete the aircooled set. Yes, the new project has a lot to live up to but you don't want to die wondering, aye?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave. This is why it would be a shame to see 964 prices go stratospheric and they become collectables. Then people would view them like you did your 993 and be too concerned to enjoy them as much as your 964. Me, I enjoy my 993 like you did your 964 so get the best of both worlds...but one day 993 prices may go through the roof and then I will be less likely to enjoy the car as much perhaps...
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Big update today!

Looks like my plans for the SITT are changing again to a one wheel, one tyre one pad strategy!

The boys started preparing the car yesterday. When removing the old wheels and tyres they found a very deep gash on the inside of one of the rears (well I think its a rear). Essentially the tyre is rendered too dangerous to drive on. The compound is very soft and I have been giving these tyres plenty of stick on the backroads and it looks like along the way one has become damaged. I think these Z221 are really only designed for the track! So, 2 track days, 3000km and a new set of rear Z221s!

Ive decided that the new OZ wheels with Super Sports look so good Ill use them as a single tyre and wheel strategy for the SITT to make life simple and stress free. So I will onluy be driving 7/10ths now and Paul will have to blaze the trail for 993s on his Z221s!

Upon closer inspection of my pads the boys have decided I wouldnt last more than the journey down plus Teterongia. The issue is the wires are almost through to the discs now even though the pads still have 5mm on them. Ive elected to fit a new set of factory front and rear pads to get me through until the big brake upgrade which will be after the SITT.

New larger FE fitted. Needs the cup holder removed and shuffle along a bit...

Lastly the air con compressor which we had rebuilt in August (failed bearing - $500 to rebuild) looks like its developed a lubrication leak. Dean suspects it will be loosing gas too. Jury is out as to whether it can be repaired so will have to wait and hear on that one. Having A/C for 5000 summer Kms with the wife is a must have IMO so if it cant be fixed we will have to re gas for the trip and then rip it out and replace it with a brand new one from Griffiths in the states after the SITT. Apart from the bearing my air con hasnt had any work in 20 years an never needed re gassing so I was expecting trouble in this department as some stage soon....

Other than that the new wheels look really good. Cheapest Ive ever bought and lightest too and they dont look half bad IMO - whta do you think?
Attached Images         
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca what the heck have you run over? Not sure I would pin that on the compound. Almost looks like you have been bottled ( some one puts a broken bottle on front of the wheel so you roll on to it and kill the tyre)

As written before, tomorrow is a big tyre day for me. New set of Z221 and some Hankook road tyres.

I will run road tyres on the pre SITT. Based on experience I may run the SITT on them as well.

Matt's point is taken on road tyres going off quickly on the track. Just not sure I want to run the car at 10/10ths so far from home anyway.

I have new pads front and rear. Just a little mod to do and a pre tour check as well. Steve Wongs instructions gave a couple of pointers on the WOT micro switch and resonance solenoid I want to follow up.

Three weeks to go !
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Im not 100% sure what happened there either. I guess well know more when the tyre is removed.

Those C70s get very soft John when run hard on the road or track. You can see stones embedded 3-4mm into the tyre surface! I saw similar on pictures of yours. The tyres dont have multiple steel belts like a road tyre, more a nylon casing. They are afterall designed for the (relatively) smooth and clean surface of a race track. There is no way on earth Id consider touring to, and within, the south island on a set of these let alone throwing in 4 days of track days on top. The plan was always to send them down. Just right now Im figuring I can save an immediate $1000 not even bothering with them. The Super sports were only twice that price landed for a set of four, so if they only last the SITT the economics still work out fine....

The new set of pads was an unwanted expense. I have a $5K bake/pad upgrade sitting on the shelf at CCS minus the front calipers! I ordered that stuff in October 2013 so can be accused of not forward planning! I guess they will get use on the NITT or SI Targa instead. My existing discs have 50% meat left on them, Dean says I should just make it through with these ok. They will be binned afterwards.

Damn the old brakes look small behind those new wheels!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the OZ's - one of my favourite wheels and suited to so many of the 911 models.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete. I haven't seen them myself, they were purchased as lightweight track wheels (7.6kg fronts and 8.8kg rears I think from memory), but Im pleased with the way they look on the pictures so may be keeping them on the car a little longer....
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah they look good I think.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
You can only hope. No pressure on the 26th.
There will be no pressure as I will be only running 7/10ths and getting the feel of the car :-)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Phil, Almost certainly Trademe beckons. I have too many cars and Donna wants a comfortable car that can take the whole family. We took two cars to Tauranga so I could get the Turbo 3.6 out. The 996TT would have made no difference. The plan is to have 3 cars - the 2 964s and a SUV. Chris' accident had also got me rethinking the car/track strategy. It's similar to my scuba diving and windsurfing history in that I explore the extreme side (for me) then settle on the sweet spot (for me). I want to go faster i.e. racing but it will be 2k or similar as that's sustainable cost wise over a period of years. I will continue to attend Playdays, initially to prove to myself I can pedal the C4 under 1.20, but thereafter not necessarily running the engine with the rev limiter tripping each lap and forcing gear changes etc. I sense the Gruppe has factions of similar thoughts. The social is becoming more important as we develop. If anyone is interested in running 2k, then let's discuss.
I know a well loved 2003 Cayenne S that's just becoming available. FSH. Near new condition. 137km :-)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I'm interested in running 2K - very much so!
Id like to know more
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
There will be no pressure as I will be only running 7/10ths and getting the feel of the car :-)
Well at least we know you won't turn up with z221s.....
Old 02-13-2014, 10:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Id like to know more
It's a racing class for tidy $2,000 cars. They don't allow modifications. Big fields.

http://2kcup.com

An inexpensive way to race.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I know a well loved 2003 Cayenne S that's just becoming available. FSH. Near new condition. 137km :-)
I think Donna has the same issue as Fran. When you are 5' 3 1/2 a Cayenne is a big vehicle.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?