Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Probably my 2nd or 3rd track day, car was still in stock road trim including tyres. Start of session, damp track, drying line but I wasn't really on it properly. Bad downshift, lost the rear and spun, hit the inside wall a glancing blow at front corner and ended up facing back up the hill. Luckily no one came round the corner and collected me. Got across the track and pulled over, Ray jumped out and had a look and the bumper was pushed in fully on one side, but otherwise no damage. Finished session and day. Could've been a lot worse.

Then there was the Playday in the Dark near-miss. Car still in road trim. Pitch black, got off the track onto the grass on the outside of the sweeper starting to come up the hill. Swerved to get back on the track but too violently and spun across the full width of the track onto the grass on the infield and ended up backing into some swampy reeds or something (still to this day don't quite know where I ended up). No damage. Could've been a lot worse.

And last year there was the meeting with the tyre wall on the inside of the sweeper. Car in current trim with Toyos on. Wet track, just stopped raining. Second session of the day, second lap. First lap went OK so pushing a bit more, went around sweeper a bit quick, right on the limit of grip and it held all the way around until starting to straighten up. Rear came around, spun and I remember thinking "I'm in the middle of the track, I've got plenty of space to pull this up". Then I was on the grass and there was no braking or steering happening from then on. There was an awful lot of swearing going on though, while I spun a couple more times and watched the tyre wall get closer and closer. Hit the tyre wall with the rear of the car and bounced off, and it seemed like quite an impact. Didn't want to get out of the car and see what the damage was because I was sure it was going to be all messed up. Eventually the session ended and Matt B pulled up to see what was happening. Got out and couldn't believe the lack of damage, just a crack in the rear bumper and a tattoo of the tread from the tyre I hit on the rubber part of the bumper. Finished the day. Could've been a lot worse!

OK, that's my list of shame (I hope my partner never finds this site). Anyone else want to share?

Writing this now, it's clear that:

- I've been very lucky so far, and I'm sure one day it's going to run out
- This hobby isn't tiddlywinks
- Improving the suspension and putting on track tyres has made things a lot safer. Since doing that I've never spun in the dry and just had the one incident in the wet.

Lastly, I'd like to shake the hand of the genius who, at some point in the history of my (UK-spec) car, put the chunky US-spec bumpers on. I've tested both front and back and they've done an amazing job!
Non Porsche prang but was circulating the old Pukekohe in a Mazda, out of the hairpin, through the left hander into the sun and thought to myself, " Is the track wet...". Back went out, 180 and backed it into the Armco under the Dunlop bridge. One of those days where it was dry one end and raining at the other. What I learnt that day that the sway bars that Mazda put in there were a much smarter selection than I could ever dream up. Back end was taily all day.
My mate and I also had an ex one make series 106 clubsport Peugeot, got that wide over the mountain and had the sphincter clinching slow mo ease it left ease it right keep it straight ride on the grass past the start finish. That thing was fun but they had a tendency to trip over their own front feet. Ours had the telltale gravel rash on the drivers door lock bezel from when it was in the series. That thing did the old track in 1:14's with Patrick Watts at the wheel but we never got anywhere near bothering that time.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
John, you got to look at the Santa Fe, I have had 2 now, after A6, S6 and S Line Audis, cost nothing to run, do not break down, seat 7 or take golf clubs, wheels and sheep..bloody good car even if not euro..Donna liked the look of mine when I was at your (impressive) establishment..
Yes, she me mentioned it tonight. I blame you now!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Do you mind me asking where that document is from?
Came with the chip fitting instructions. Haven't posted it elsewhere as I figure only a few of us look on this forum whereas many look at 964 forum.

Looking at the traces of mine and Steve's fastest runs against those for Pete it looks like I'm clearly down on power up the main straight. He runs 193 ~ 196 whereas we run 183.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Came with the chip fitting instructions. Haven't posted it elsewhere as I figure only a few of us look on this forum whereas many look at 964 forum. Looking at the traces of mine and Steve's fastest runs against those for Pete it looks like I'm clearly down on power up the main straight. He runs 193 ~ 196 whereas we run 183.
Looks possible I found 20+ hp
Old 02-14-2014, 06:41 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ****.. I just wrote an article for a boating mag titled.."The Cost of a Knot..or Two'
all about the various owners of 1 little old Mk I Corsair, and how much was spent, and the mods made..just to find a knot..or two! At the end of it, a full repower with a modern motor did the trick....
Shades of a 964/993 sport Gruppe methinks !!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Learner stuff Macca.. Tramadol gets me around 16 of the 18 holes on a golf course.. 1 a day in a 944 would be plenty..
And those last 2 holes are a blur right?!!! I know Tramadol well.... not sure I'd mix it with driving.

Originally Posted by PHG
John, you got to look at the Santa Fe, I have had 2 now, after A6, S6 and S Line Audis, cost nothing to run, do not break down, seat 7 or take golf clubs, wheels and sheep..bloody good car even if not euro..Donna liked the look of mine when I was at your (impressive) establishment..
We have 3 of these in the carpark at work - everyone loves them. The new one is a belter.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Came with the chip fitting instructions. Haven't posted it elsewhere as I figure only a few of us look on this forum whereas many look at 964 forum.

Looking at the traces of mine and Steve's fastest runs against those for Pete it looks like I'm clearly down on power up the main straight. He runs 193 ~ 196 whereas we run 183.
Pete was running 193-196 GPS verified Vmax on the front straight of HD? Really? Thats faster than I expected.

John. Did Steve Wong really include this information with the chip?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Probably my 2nd or 3rd track day, car was still in stock road trim including tyres. Start of session, damp track, drying line but I wasn't really on it properly. Bad downshift, lost the rear and spun, hit the inside wall a glancing blow at front corner and ended up facing back up the hill. Luckily no one came round the corner and collected me. Got across the track and pulled over, Ray jumped out and had a look and the bumper was pushed in fully on one side, but otherwise no damage. Finished session and day. Could've been a lot worse.

Then there was the Playday in the Dark near-miss. Car still in road trim. Pitch black, got off the track onto the grass on the outside of the sweeper starting to come up the hill. Swerved to get back on the track but too violently and spun across the full width of the track onto the grass on the infield and ended up backing into some swampy reeds or something (still to this day don't quite know where I ended up). No damage. Could've been a lot worse.

And last year there was the meeting with the tyre wall on the inside of the sweeper. Car in current trim with Toyos on. Wet track, just stopped raining. Second session of the day, second lap. First lap went OK so pushing a bit more, went around sweeper a bit quick, right on the limit of grip and it held all the way around until starting to straighten up. Rear came around, spun and I remember thinking "I'm in the middle of the track, I've got plenty of space to pull this up". Then I was on the grass and there was no braking or steering happening from then on. There was an awful lot of swearing going on though, while I spun a couple more times and watched the tyre wall get closer and closer. Hit the tyre wall with the rear of the car and bounced off, and it seemed like quite an impact. Didn't want to get out of the car and see what the damage was because I was sure it was going to be all messed up. Eventually the session ended and Matt B pulled up to see what was happening. Got out and couldn't believe the lack of damage, just a crack in the rear bumper and a tattoo of the tread from the tyre I hit on the rubber part of the bumper. Finished the day. Could've been a lot worse!

OK, that's my list of shame (I hope my partner never finds this site). Anyone else want to share?

Writing this now, it's clear that:

- I've been very lucky so far, and I'm sure one day it's going to run out
- This hobby isn't tiddlywinks
- Improving the suspension and putting on track tyres has made things a lot safer. Since doing that I've never spun in the dry and just had the one incident in the wet.

Lastly, I'd like to shake the hand of the genius who, at some point in the history of my (UK-spec) car, put the chunky US-spec bumpers on. I've tested both front and back and they've done an amazing job!
Theres me thinking you were just a mild mannered boy from the Tron! Your a seasoned veteran my man and wear the track stamps well!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks possible I found 20+ hp
John. Its probably about as likely as those ***** enlargement products delivering you 2 inches I would say.

Seriously, did Steve Wong really supply that stuff you posted? Please tell me its not true!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete was running 193-196 GPS verified Vmax on the front straight of HD? Really? Thats faster than I expected. John. Did Steve Wong really include this information with the chip?
It's on the AIM Solo. We discussed it at the earliest data acquisition session as Tony was hitting the higher number holding 4th on the straight whereas Peter was shifting to 5th.

Absolutely, Steve Wong supplied the info with the chip. Are you questioning the impact on power output?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I haven't done the multimeter test (Donna is non compliant after Valentine Day champagne ) but initial investigation suggests Herman has failed the wide open throttle test.
Thanks John. On my maintenance list.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
I'm losing track of all the change in plans for SITT. Everyone talking about 7/10ths..... Bugger I bought new tyres just because the old ones are so hard and heat cycled that I figured that a cold day might see me locking up all over the show. haven't run this car for a while so set up day at Taupo tmoro sprints format with the Fraser club annual meeting. should be all ready to go next month...
Don't believe a word of it Graeme.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Probably my 2nd or 3rd track day, car was still in stock road trim including tyres. Start of session, damp track, drying line but I wasn't really on it properly. Bad downshift, lost the rear and spun, hit the inside wall a glancing blow at front corner and ended up facing back up the hill. Luckily no one came round the corner and collected me. Got across the track and pulled over, Ray jumped out and had a look and the bumper was pushed in fully on one side, but otherwise no damage. Finished session and day. Could've been a lot worse. Then there was the Playday in the Dark near-miss. Car still in road trim. Pitch black, got off the track onto the grass on the outside of the sweeper starting to come up the hill. Swerved to get back on the track but too violently and spun across the full width of the track onto the grass on the infield and ended up backing into some swampy reeds or something (still to this day don't quite know where I ended up). No damage. Could've been a lot worse. And last year there was the meeting with the tyre wall on the inside of the sweeper. Car in current trim with Toyos on. Wet track, just stopped raining. Second session of the day, second lap. First lap went OK so pushing a bit more, went around sweeper a bit quick, right on the limit of grip and it held all the way around until starting to straighten up. Rear came around, spun and I remember thinking "I'm in the middle of the track, I've got plenty of space to pull this up". Then I was on the grass and there was no braking or steering happening from then on. There was an awful lot of swearing going on though, while I spun a couple more times and watched the tyre wall get closer and closer. Hit the tyre wall with the rear of the car and bounced off, and it seemed like quite an impact. Didn't want to get out of the car and see what the damage was because I was sure it was going to be all messed up. Eventually the session ended and Matt B pulled up to see what was happening. Got out and couldn't believe the lack of damage, just a crack in the rear bumper and a tattoo of the tread from the tyre I hit on the rubber part of the bumper. Finished the day. Could've been a lot worse! OK, that's my list of shame (I hope my partner never finds this site). Anyone else want to share? Writing this now, it's clear that: - I've been very lucky so far, and I'm sure one day it's going to run out - This hobby isn't tiddlywinks - Improving the suspension and putting on track tyres has made things a lot safer. Since doing that I've never spun in the dry and just had the one incident in the wet. Lastly, I'd like to shake the hand of the genius who, at some point in the history of my (UK-spec) car, put the chunky US-spec bumpers on. I've tested both front and back and they've done an amazing job!
I think it may have been my first RSG day, or maybe my second, but early on last year. It started raining during our second outing. There's a trend there Michael :-). I was following the yellow Cayman - sorry can't remember who's it was right now. I was in my std gen 1 Boxster with track wheels and newish R888s. In the précis run the cayman was trashing me but I was working hard to try and keep up. Dopey bugger as it had 75hp more than me and a more modern platform. When it started raining. I caught up easily (see the problem). I couldn't believe how slow he was taking it. Cake around turn 2 then over 3 with a little power. Weight came off the back a little and with a little power into the back wheels they let go and I spun. I remembered reading in a spin depress the clutch and the brakes fully and wait for the spinning to stop. I spun 180 and onto the grass on the left of the straight to turn 4. Then spun 1 or two times on the grass and ended up near the side of the track facing the correct way. Was now infused with adrenaline, heart pumping and gingerly finished the session.

My only redemption was learning that another member [lets see if he mentions it] did the same thing on the same corner on the same session.

Yellow Cayman: Respect
Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by PHG
Oh ****.. I just wrote an article for a boating mag titled.."The Cost of a Knot..or Two' all about the various owners of 1 little old Mk I Corsair, and how much was spent, and the mods made..just to find a knot..or two! At the end of it, a full repower with a modern motor did the trick.... Shades of a 964/993 sport Gruppe methinks !!
He he. I prefer to look for simple things that can be removed to add power, eg cup primary muffler bypass, cat bypass, air intake... Letting the engine breath easier. Taking heavy stuff out of he car. Dave installed race door cards in my 964 and when packing the old ones away in the attic I couldn't believe how heavy the originals were, especially the pockets. Same goes for the std seats although I'm now thinking I'll keep them for the esthetics. The old muffler weighs a ton too. The Germans certainly built these cars solidly. A lightweight battery seems obvious too, along with carrying less fuel.

I have the benefit of Matts great work on the suspension. Suspension, brakes, driver skill. It's not all about power.

Beyond these simple things I agree with you. Check your objective and keep it within check.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:47 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Blue is back with new injectors, fuel pump and another oil hose. Pulling like a schoolboy again. Unfortunately the front discs/pads are close to needing replacement and I've run out of $ to spend on her.

Probably not a good time to think DIY brakes but is replacing brake discs and pads a difficult job?

John, these bakerlite spacers I mentioned, one of which got blown out, were all heat distorted and crumbling. Basically toast. Does the 3.6 engine have these?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?