Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello everyone - before anything else let me say thank you for all of the concern, posts, emails & calls. I can't think of a better group of motorheads to have fallen in with. Thank you.

It’s been an interesting 24 hours, for sure. It’s going to be a long post, so make a tea and grab some Shrewsbury’s!

Yesterday I decided to go out on an afternoon session to get some exposure to HD & the car. Very slow day, total of maybe 10 cars. Did our familiarisation laps and then set out to it. I made it to the end of my second 8-lap session. Nothing uneventful first session, a bit hot on the brakes as I got used to the track. Second session was going very well — tying in the corners and the lines I’d seen driven on my previous ridealongs were coming to me. I was circulating much more consistently and the car felt great.

When we were at Puke I definitely experienced a some brake fading, but at HD it was more under control. The day previous I was in Pirongia and spent time learning from Dan how to replace front bushes and CV boots. While up on the lift I did have a good look at the brakes as I wanted to see how the pads were holding up (Mintex, and as previously mentioned ATE gold). Even spent some time discussing different options for the future. Brakes have always been consciously what I felt to be the weak point in terms of car confidence.

I can honestly say, no red mist, no target acquisition — an M1 and GTI had pulled away from me, had been passed by a 335i, and most recently destroyed by a tracked RX7 of some description — I was happily finding my limits of traction on the Bridgestones (17’s definitely more forgiving than my 18’s). I was also looking forward to meet the new owner of a hunter green 964 Turbo that showed up as I pulled out for my second session. (Never did meet him, just bought it from the SI, Nigel K?). No issues with my brakes on my last number of laps and no chance I would have even gone near where I did if they were feeling soft — on turn10 I was working on the 70% apex and had gotten better at using the full width. As I came up the hill green lights were flashing making the lap I was about to complete my last one.

Was on the left side, nailed the brakes and ready to downshift to third as I had been and pedal went to the floor. Not partially, not slowly, just down. The pedal must have returned as I recall pumping and getting little bits. Pumped and downshifted to third, pump pump pump — chassis was a bit unsettled as I neared the edge of the tarmac and at that point I decided I would not try to make the turn and risk flipping. Needless to say the grass did nothing for braking and the sand at that speed really didn’t help much either. I had just been working on getting into 2nd gear (everything is slow motion, right) aborted & grabbed the steering wheel, tried not to lock my elbows and pushed myself back into my seat and feet on the deadpedal and brake. Gary Upson reckoned I hit the tire wall around 120kph. I will have burned in my brain the image for the rest of my life of the tire wall from about 5 meters away. Not sure I can detail all the thoughts in my head at that moment, but biggest one was now I personally get find out what a high speed frontal collision is like and what will life be like on the other side.

The crunch and deceleration was momentary and I was still moving forward. I didn’t think I would have punched through the tires. I was expecting when I opened my eyes (yes, I’ll admit to closing them a moment before impact!) that I’d be spinning in a green field, but instead saw blue. There are varying reports of excitement and probably exaggeration of how high I went, though I’m certain I gained some altitude. Problem was behind that tire wall is also a 5meter drop… so I saw blue and felt I was tilted about 45degrees left and then the really hard landing came. It’s hard to piece together — and here’s a twist — I ended up in an active construction zone below turn one. I landed left nose down into a soft pile of freshly sifted dirt. The right impacted the motor on the back of the sifting machine. I think I landed 45degrees tilted left and 30 degrees tilted down — final impact was the back end slamming down on the hard ground.

There were three guys in the crew, one of which had been working on the motor because it was giving them some grief. They heard a sound, saw something coming over and ran for it. That’s the real luck yesterday — not the guy strapped into a cage with a helmet, but the guys on the outside with no protection. It could have been significantly worse. I could have hit them, I could have hit the machine with my window…

So I’m on the ground, hands on the wheel, engine still running. I look out the right window and there’s a guy standing there. I still don’t realise where I landed so I assumed it was a corner worker and wondered for how they’d gotten there so fast. Did I pass out for a few moments? (Nope) I looked left and there’s another person standing by my window. I gave them the thumbs up that I was OK and went to open my door. Turned off the car and got out as carefully as I could, expecting that I’d hurt something I couldn’t feel yet. I looked around and saw dirt, digger, machines - what the - I landed in a construction site. Checked my extremities were there, no leaks. Decided to leave my helmet on for a minute in case I collapsed (we’ve all read those accounts), wondering if they had equipment for using the eject helmet removal device if I did. First person on the scene was Gary with Playday if I recall… at which point I took my helmet off. The guys at the construction site were in various levels of disbelief but in agreement they were cutting out for the day and having a beer.

Walking around there was a tire next to me and another chain of four another 10-15 meters beyond my car that I took along. The rocker panels I’d restored were off, both shark fins were just gone, headlights in pieces, new intakes & clear indicators destroyed and the shipping damage on the rear bumper I was worried about made for a real reality check. I took pictures, St John’s arrived, flashlights in my eyeballs, hands all over my head, a tow was arranged. No one could believe (including myself) that I was walking. Any good luck I may have felt like I missed out on over the years just paid out, guys. Who cares about the car, who cares about the car. My forehead was a bit sore, as were my traps. My helmet had some black marks top front, the Stilo did it’s job. Random fact — my iPhone was still attached to my cradle in the installed position. Take that NKMOS!

Due to the soreness and sheer speed St Johns insisted I be immobilised and sent to Middlemore for scans. The EMT had the foresight to have me roll down the top of my suit so it wouldn’t be cut when I got there. X-rays and CT were both clear but due to a few mixups it took until 10PM to get the reports & discharged. The ED charge nurse who handles motorsport injuries reckons he cuts up a handful of suits every week. He also examined my helmet and cleared it - otherwise they cut the chin straps before they give it back to you.

I’ve played the scenario out in my mind a thousand times and I wouldn’t change a single thing at the point those brakes didn’t respond. A single change and I or someone else might have been seriously injured of killed. At the top of the hill I imagined two scenarios — hitting and bouncing off the tire wall utilising the car’s crush zones, or hitting it obliquely and high speed spinning or flipping over the wall. I didn’t expect to punch through, but this morning I got to wake up with my wife and kids and get out of bed on my own.

Only had four or five paracetamols worth of painkiller since the accident - still not sure how that’s possible. I was in a low speed (30mph) collision when I was 23 that hurt me more than this. I can only suspect it was the genius of the tire wall and angles of deceleration that made it easier on my body.

The car was taken to Pirongia as too badly mangled to put in Steve’s shop at HD. I spoke with him this morning and he tells me the front end damage is probably more addressable than the rear. Sudden deceleration of the motor tweaks the tub as evidenced by the rear window popping out. If I feel good when I wake up tomorrow morning, I will drive down there at stare at it for a while. We will also take a close look at the braking system to figure out what gave up. I’ll report back whatever we found. Somewhere a mistake was made, whether maintenance, age, design or use and it bit me yesterday, guys. I know I want a 100% answer, we all do — I hope it’s something clear, therefore addressable. If anyone can sleuth it, Steve & Dan can. Maybe it’s time for the wide body 964 rebuild I’ve dreamt about?

Time for nap…

Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
CS Mende
Pro

No pics ... makes me sad to look at them.

Last edited by CS Mende; 02-13-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, you are on BBQ.
OK - you have to make me a T short or apron that says "I only drive 7/10th's" and the "the 993 is a family car"

Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Have to get down there soon when we both share a spare day.

Did you sell the C3 in the end? On my morning bike ride (no, I'm not the lycra wearing lane hogging type) I was cruising for some time next to the Bronze C3 along Tamaki drive. It came and went off the market but because it's still on the same morning commute I assume it still has the same owner.
No money has changed hands yet..........
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Had a long chat with Paul last night and checked on Chris this morning (he'll likely update the group himself today). Thought was to have another casual get together pre SITT. Happy to host the same way as last time. Maybe convince partners/wives who are going to Queenstown to turn up and meet each other as well. Free format. Nothing over the top, just people with common interests having a gas bag. Weekend of 22/23rd looks best considering Targa and Cape Reinga trip come after that. Thoughts?
Yes please. I have plenty of room and barbie at my place if that suits
Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Sorry Chris, I had the 2 emails above sitting for a while before sending and they seem out of context now..........

Mate - you are bloody lucky and you did well to control the situation.

Good to see you looking forward - 964 RSR rep sounds good to me. You might have to buy a roller and build a primo car out of 2??
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yes please. I have plenty of room and barbie at my place if that suits
Good to share the love. I'm not wedded to having it at my place.

What a perfect arrangement - share the idea and then outsource the food, cooking and venue.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. What an incredible (and lucky) experience! Your prose put me right in the drivers seat.

It was like a combination of those old movie's where the gangster cuts the brake line, then add in the "Dukes of Hazzard" air born antics and the final piece is like a Tom & Jerry "straight into a pile of poo".

The miracle is no one was hurt. The surprise was that beyond the inadequate tyre wall is a 15+ foot drop. Surely there should be an armco there. The tyre wall if anything is deceiving and obviously totally inadequate given of all the points oin teh track where someone is likely to have an high speed off there isnt one of us that would argue this is the place!

The old girl looks worse for wear doesnt she - but the design served you well - not even a broken piece of window glass! Those workers must have thought theyd seen the Virgin Mary and the Holy Ghost all wrapped up in a Stuttgart carnation.

Sorry about the car. Im not sure its economical to repair. Did you have a cover note?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - what happened with the rental car issue??

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Car rental issue still in play. Should have an outcome soon. In the meantime paying interest on CC balance!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well Chris - it's pretty clear you don't have a head injury! That is one write up that was both fascinating to read and sobering at the same time. Really scary stuff and all the more so after you put it into context with the sequence of hits. Mate I am so glad to hear you're OK. I'm guessing there will be no shortage of discussion topics at the BBQ next Sunday - the trick may be having those discussions without partners hearing and freaking out!

BTW - Powerball is 23 million this week. Perhaps you should go buy a ticket or two!!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well Chris - it's pretty clear you don't have a head injury! That is one write up that was both fascinating to read and sobering at the same time. Really scary stuff and all the more so after you put it into context with the sequence of hits. Mate I am so glad to hear you're OK. I'm guessing there will be no shortage of discussion topics at the BBQ next Sunday - the trick may be having those discussions without partners hearing and freaking out!

BTW - Powerball is 23 million this week. Perhaps you should go buy a ticket or two!!
Yeah - we can start a RSG pool - you can have my permission to use the slush fund........
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The surprise was that beyond the inadequate tyre wall is a 15+ foot drop. Surely there should be an armco there. The tyre wall if anything is deceiving and obviously totally inadequate given of all the points oin teh track where someone is likely to have an high speed off there isnt one of us that would argue this is the place!
I'll be interested to see if any changes instigated after this incident. No better evidence than a real 'crash test'
Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
It was like a combination of those old movie's where the gangster cuts the brake line, then add in the "Dukes of Hazzard" air born antics and the final piece is like a Tom & Jerry "straight into a pile of poo". The miracle is no one was hurt. The surprise was that beyond the inadequate tyre wall is a 15+ foot drop. Surely there should be an armco there. The tyre wall if anything is deceiving and obviously totally inadequate given of all the points oin teh track where someone is likely to have an high speed off there isnt one of us that would argue this is the place!
I'm commissioning a Dukes paint theme on my rebuild!! Yes - I am surprised there isn't more runout as there is room to do so beyond that wall. Not my call, but let's just say I was surprised by what I found!

Well Chris - it's pretty clear you don't have a head injury! That is one write up that was both fascinating to read and sobering at the same time. Really scary stuff and all the more so after you put it into context with the sequence of hits. Mate I am so glad to hear you're OK. I'm guessing there will be no shortage of discussion topics at the BBQ next Sunday - the trick may be having those discussions without partners hearing and freaking out! BTW - Powerball is 23 million this week. Perhaps you should go buy a ticket or two!!
I will bring my xbox and Forza 4 so I can perform simulations on demand!

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yeah - we can start a RSG pool - you can have my permission to use the slush fund........
I'm going to buy a fistful, Paul. No worries about the replies - I've had the same happen to me. So your C3 is still for sale, is it? :-D

I'll be interested to see if any changes instigated after this incident. No better evidence than a real 'crash test'
Gary said they have cc footage, but that it doesn't extend to he runout area - rats. I did purchase a gopro last week and the cage mount arrived Tuesday but I figured why rush it to record boring laps... BTW - Heigo is still in the garage. Wife wished I had rushed that one ...

Could I really be the first to impact that spectacularly/unfortunately on HD T1?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

There's no way you would be the first Chris, but perhaps the first from a brake failure and hitting the wall at speed.

+1 on the write up. It makes very interesting reading, it's like slow motion replay. Bloody Scary for me knowing how well you reacted vs how I think I may have reacted (too slow). There's no way I'm letting my wife read it or I'll be banned from the track.

Question for the group. If this happens to any of us in future what effect would hitting the handbrake have at that speed in a 964? How does the handbrake work vs the hydraulic system?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?