Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks John. On my maintenance list.
We can check that out today. Getting some new shoes for Herman right now. Will text when I know what time is likely
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Mr Blue is back with new injectors, fuel pump and another oil hose. Pulling like a schoolboy again. Unfortunately the front discs/pads are close to needing replacement and I've run out of $ to spend on her. Probably not a good time to think DIY brakes but is replacing brake discs and pads a difficult job? John, these bakerlite spacers I mentioned, one of which got blown out, were all heat distorted and crumbling. Basically toast. Does the 3.6 engine have these?
Not sure, and not sure I want to know....
Old 02-14-2014, 04:13 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete was running 193-196 GPS verified Vmax on the front straight of HD? Really? Thats faster than I expected.
Not surprising, I was hitting that in the 964 C2 too. I think we discussed this a while back and I presented GPS verified numbers after you doubted me.

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Probably not a good time to think DIY brakes but is replacing brake discs and pads a difficult job?
It's pretty simple, only thing that could make it complicated is frozen bolts.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And those last 2 holes are a blur right?!!! I know Tramadol well.... not sure I'd mix it with driving.

We have 3 of these in the carpark at work - everyone loves them. The new one is a belter.
You're right Pete..Once did 2 tramol and a neurophen on a bad day, and played brilliantly, I thought...! Struggle to see the ball tho.. I agree not really for high end track work, but they are good

I went Asian when I got tired of paying a $1000 every time I took the audi in for a service, or because the window would not go up..wait 3 weeks for parts to arrive...Yada yada.. Took about 2 weeks to appreciate the merits and drop the eurosnob thing. I talked a friend into buying a Santa Fe, and he actually rang me to say thanks and how much he loved it..nearly made me weep!.
I bought it initially because it was the only car that took my full golf set acrossways, so can stack many sets without having to drop the seats etc..

I'll miss the 22nd sadly as have avo soiree at Puhoi
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Replacing pads is very easy. I think we could add to the Gruppe by having Steve or Dan show us the proper way. I learned from Rob at CCS.

Also knowing how to replace a broken engine belt is a useful skill as is knowing where the DME relay etc goes.

Just watched them do a z221 with the touch less technology. Will post the video. Brian at Mega Tyres may have a basic operation but his new machine is very kind to expensive rims and he does the work himself.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
You're right Pete..Once did 2 tramol and a neurophen on a bad day, and played brilliantly, I thought...! Struggle to see the ball tho.. I agree not really for high end track work, but they are good I went Asian when I got tired of paying a $1000 every time I took the audi in for a service, or because the window would not go up..wait 3 weeks for parts to arrive...Yada yada.. Took about 2 weeks to appreciate the merits and drop the eurosnob thing. I talked a friend into buying a Santa Fe, and he actually rang me to say thanks and how much he loved it..nearly made me weep!. I bought it initially because it was the only car that took my full golf set acrossways, so can stack many sets without having to drop the seats etc.. I'll miss the 22nd sadly as have avo soiree at Puhoi
I think the 996tt and GTI will go to fund one.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM
mjg
Pro

Just a thought: the ducktail could be costing you a fair bit of that top-end speed, John. Adjusting the wing on the GT3 made 3-4km/h difference at the end of HD's straight, and that's with significantly more propulsion behind it.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Just a thought: the ducktail could be costing you a fair bit of that top-end speed, John. Adjusting the wing on the GT3 made 3-4km/h difference at the end of HD's straight, and that's with significantly more propulsion behind it.
Not sure Matt. I have the original lid but no spoiler so can't really try it out. I'm waiting for Macca to reply re Steve Wongs instructions. I'm especially interested in what impact the wot microswitch not being tripped would have.

I'll look at the Peter vs my Data and see what's what. Steve put the same tail on a 964 race car so I'd be surprised if it's that.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I should have the strongest engine of the 964 tribe having done rings, heads etc and it has 5,500 km on the engine now. Worth going through all ECU inputs to see what's going on.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving a race car on road must be intense. it's loud enough in a near standard 964. one time when I picked up an Audi from chch and was driving to picton some guys had bought a Rally spec Mazda from there the same day. They had earmuffs on for the journey a la land rover series 1. when we caught up at the ferry they were beaten and knackered, suffice to say they got to sleep on the ferry straight away!

Ill throw another idea for doing the South Island trip with a race car into the ring. I would look into hiring an SUV or ute from hertz and trailer from a local outfit and tow to each track. I haven't read what the plans are exactly but if you looped through chch this could be an option. save you most of the South Island part in a race car. give you heaps of room to throw all your gear and even a few sets of others tyres...
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt. It was the GT3 bam we debated. I never met you before the GT3 and have never really been interested in the 964 Braxton down the straight. I only remember john telling me at HD I was hitting 196 and now I think about it the 964 were around 193 that day on track tyres.

I'm surprised Steve Wong appended that note with the chip because it's so sensationalist. 1/3 rd of all 911s are not making their full power and are 20 bhp down? Really ? The throttle opening by the way if written was true would be affecting you acceleration not just on the straight but every time your foot was on the floor which is 70% of the time on the track. Have you felt you were slower accelerating than your fellow 964?
Then there's the bit about the butterfly actually not being the limited to hp. Otherwise everyone would upgrade to bigger butterfly. It's only one in a number of factors to make peak hp. The ecu is using tps alpha tables hot film resistance pressure and temperature to calculate injector cycles and volume and ignition spark. This isn't a carny engine. Lastly when your engine was rebuilt surely deans guys would have checked all this is working ?
Then there's the vacuum operated intake manifold valve at 5500! Twaddle! It's a solinoid ie electric operated flap and it's not going to rob you above 5500. If the inlet tract stays at it's designed length you will make the same top end power. However you may benefit by an additional 2-30 bhp in the mid range if it's functioning correctly.

I'm just really surprised Steve put these in like this.

Pete my wife has trampoline and will bring them. She says she doesn't like them sachet make you spacey. No good for driving at all. Still can't work out how Phil hits the ball with them!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Friggin hilarious. In bed using iPhone for renin list whilst the wife dozes. First two typos were supposed to be Vmax the trampoline is tramodol and the canary is a carby
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

So many variables at the track, which is why I'm an AIM data addict. I'll go back over my data and compare to peter. I presumed much of the straight speed was entry off the sweeper. I nailed that last time so that would take the variable out. I never want to blame my tools unless absolutely sure so have always figured it's me. Will see soon. Maybe I should Dyno it?

As for the engine rebuild. No one is perfect. Who knows, maybe it's just crept out of adjustment.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Matt. It was the GT3 bam we debated. I never met you before the GT3 and have never really been interested in the 964 Braxton down the straight. I only remember john telling me at HD I was hitting 196 and now I think about it the 964 were around 193 that day on track tyres.
We were talking about both cars: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...l#post10511954

I'd be surprised if John's butterfly is far wrong, it's pretty standard practice for this to be adjusted as part of a service as I understand it, and it's hard to believe CCS wouldn't have checked/adjusted it when the engine work was done. You might be able to adjust it to open slightly further, but probably won't see any extra power. Worth verifying the WOT microswitch as that'll affect the maps, but I suspect there are multiple factors contributing to this phenomenon.

Exit speed from the sweeper makes a big difference, even very small differences there can add up so that makes it very hard to compare. A rolling road dyno won't tell you much, the numbers that come out of them are useless except for back-to-back relative tests, you'd need an engine bench dyno which is probably impractical.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Ill throw another idea for doing the South Island trip with a race car into the ring. I would look into hiring an SUV or ute from hertz and trailer from a local outfit and tow to each track. I haven't read what the plans are exactly but if you looped through chch this could be an option. save you most of the South Island part in a race car. give you heaps of room to throw all your gear and even a few sets of others tyres...
I fly in and out of Chch so that plan has some serious merit. Trick may be finding a trailer suitable for a race car but I'll see if Steve has any contacts (or anyone else). Might be a pain having a trailer for the trip and certainly wouldn't make the West Coast trip a fun one but at least it wouldn't be tiring.

Thanks mate!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?